Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a scouting report on him? I've never seen him play, but liked him before he was drafted. How has he played in the minutes he has been given? Is he good defensively, offensively, how and why? Does he have much upside left?

Anyways, thanks for your help in advance.

-lata

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Humphries is very young so better give him time. He already had a NBA body since he was freshman for U of Minnesota (That's a good thing). He is a good shooter for people his height. He needs to be aggressive a little bit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how about strengths and weaknesses? Is he a good man to man defender? How much upside do you think he has? What's the best comparison for a player he might turn out like?

Thanks in advance.

-lata

·
Registered
455 Posts
He has a great jumper and is an average rebounder. Not a good defender, but not a bad one too. Could be a 15/8 guy if given more minutes.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
yes, sloan had a talk to him about that. He said there is a lot to learn, that he needs to make a differnece on other things, on the defensive end, offenseive screens, ect. And not everytime he gets the ball to shoot it. To play better team basketball if he wants to survive in this league.

·
Registered
706 Posts
On the ball defense is suspect, and his off the ball defense is worse. Average rebounder, as said, and is good in the blocks.

The most worrisome thing for me, from what I've seen of him, is that his basketball IQ on the floor looks to be pretty poor. I don't think it's necessarily his fault, coming from a "get the ball, score the ball" mentality that was given to him before the NBA. Running sets, and especially running the correct option out of sets off the ball is what I've seen him mess up.

For example, the Jazz were running their X cut off the low post dump in pass with the two guards. One guard hesitated on the screen, I believe to disrupt the defensive timing of the defenders. Shot clock is under 7, low, but still plenty of time, and Humphries decides to cut to the basket. Well, the guard has started to make his cut, clogging the lane with our own players and making defense very easy. He gets too excited with a dwindling shot clock, and breaks off and runs helter skelter. He's ruined a couple of pick and rolls where he isn't part of that play.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Very strong, doesn't have a problem establishing position on the low block, needs to learn to play smarter not harder. Not a great passer or defender. Rebounding is decent. Because of his strength he definitely has some potential to be a solid rebounder and low post scorer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts