Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
51,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some International Scouts Believe Kristaps Porzingis Is Best 2015 Prospect

Kristaps Porzingis is considered by Chad Ford as having the best shot of trumping Jahlil Okafor, Emmanuel Mudiay and Karl Towns to go No. 1 in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Porzingis is playing in Spain for Sevilla and is averaging 8.8 points and 4.4 rebounds in 21.8 minutes per game.

Porzingis is a 6'11 big out of Lavia that won't turn 20 until April.

"A number of international scouts I know swear he's the best prospect in the draft," writes Ford. "Let's see what he does in Spain this year. Those aren't huge numbers, but given the quality of the league and his age, it's not shabby either."

·
51,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
51,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last June, several executives picking in the second half of the first round winced when Porzingis withdrew from the draft; now you know why. Porzingis is an excellent stretch-four prospect who runs the floor well and has tremendous shot-blocking potential. He needs to bulk up and improve his off-the-dribble game, the latter of which he is getting more opportunities to hone this season (Porzingis is averaging 21.2 minutes with Sevilla in the Spanish ACB, up from 15.2 last season).
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/10/nba-big-board-draft-jahlil-okafor-karl-towns-emmanuel-mudiay

·
51,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scouts from a dozen NBA teams attended Sunday's game between Spain Cajasol Sevilla and Barcelona. Most of their attention was directed at Kristaps Porzingis, a 7-foot-1 center whom some scouts think could challenge to be the top pick in the 2015 NBA draft.

"Porzingis, or, as I call him, 'Zinger,' is a cross between Andrea Bargnani, Pau Gasol and Ersan Ilyasova," Sevilla coach Scott Roth wrote in an e-mail to Yahoo Sports. "He is 7-1 and still growing at 19 years old. He has the total package, and, really, this is his first year of really playing, getting quality minutes and being depended on game by game.

"The only thing you can say negative about him is his body is not ready and is a work in progress, which will only get better over the years. When he is 22, 23 years old he will be very good and maybe great."
Porzingis had 13 points and six rebounds in 24 minutes of Sevilla's 85-74 victory over Barcelona. Willy Hernangomez, a teammate of Porzingis' and another top draft prospect, had 29 points and 13 rebounds in 31 minutes.

"I haven't seen a European player with the skill combination he possesses," Sevilla swingman and former NBA player Derrick Byars said of Porzingis. "Kristaps has a [Dirk] Nowitzki-like offensive skill set. He's 7-1, can shoot, can put the ball on the floor, can block shots, he's mobile and athletic. There's not much he can't do on the floor."

Porzingis was projected by some NBA scouts to be a late first-round pick in the 2014 draft before he withdrew his name. The Latvian was averaging 11 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 21.1 minutes through eight games of Eurocup play this season while shooting 56.3 percent from 3-point range.

Porzingis "is a hard worker, great kid, fluent in English and loves basketball," said Roth, a former NBA player who was an NBA assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks, Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies, Golden State Warriors and Toronto Raptors.
1. Kristaps Porzingis, PF, 7-1, 220 pounds, Spain Cajasol Sevilla, 19: "He is a top-three prospect. He's a Dirk Nowitzki-type but more athletic. He runs the floor, plays above the rim and is a face-up guy. He has a shot at being the No. 1 pick and is definitely in the top three."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nba-draft-s-top-10-international-prospects-002940858.html

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
It is funny but this is the guy I wanted to trade Gasol for if he had stayed in the draft. One of my favorite prospects in the draft.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Seems like a good kid. He's been the guy I wanted all year. Too bad Indy played their way out of the range he'll get drafted in.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
This is who I wanted the Grizzlies to trade Marc Gasol for last year since it was obvious or window had closed.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts