·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
the best skills in this draft?

good or bad pick?

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
He could be better than Dirk and Pau Gasol.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
I think it depends on how he matures Physically...I would hope he doesn't try to bulk up to much, like Durant.

I've seen guys like him lose the agility they had when they weighed less and then get the dreaded foot injuries.

It is too early to tell how good he will be. He can be productive as long as he stays off the heroin.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Watched the first two minutes and wasn't impressed. He starts all his offensive moves too far away from the basket. He lacks a goto move off which to base other moves.

·
#1 Stromile Swift Fan
4,327 Posts
Not saying that he will end up like Bargnani but I remember when people were creaming their pants every time Bargnani made a touch pass in his rookie season. He really looked promising as a rookie too...Right now he is like Bargnani with more athleticism.

One thing that I'm very impressed with is how good he is at speaking english..even though it might not seem like much...it makes me think that he must be intelligent and that will translate in him being able to have a higher basketball IQ. It looks like he is just physically weak and is just very raw offensively. I have a feeling he will be very very good in 3-4 years assuming he keeps developing instead of stagnating like Bargnani.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
As someone that had to sit through 5+ years of Bargnani I can say this. Whether or not this kid succeeds depend on whether he can average 8+ rebounds in 30 minutes. If he can do that then we'll talk about the other parts of his game. If not then we're likely looking at a NBA journeyman and a fringe role player as there simply isn't a starting role for a light rebounding 7 footer in the league. Not being able to rebound as a big man brings too much negative to your game where it's nearly impossible for you to do things in other areas to negate that.

·
#1 Stromile Swift Fan
4,327 Posts
Do you remember when they were saying that Bargnani was really really mentally strong and they did some psychological test on him which he passed with flying colours saying that nothing really phased him.

Then he would get challenged to be a better rebounder and he seemed to put in effort for a few games and have good results and people would get all excited and then revert back to his old ways.

Rookie Bargnani was really a guy who you thought the sky was the limit and if anyone was going to follow in the foot steps of Dirk it was him..It's weird how a guy that supposedly so mentally tough can be so soft on the court.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
As someone that had to sit through 5+ years of Bargnani I can say this. Whether or not this kid succeeds depend on whether he can average 8+ rebounds in 30 minutes. If he can do that then we'll talk about the other parts of his game. If not then we're likely looking at a NBA journeyman and a fringe role player as there simply isn't a starting role for a light rebounding 7 footer in the league. Not being able to rebound as a big man brings too much negative to your game where it's nearly impossible for you to do things in other areas to negate that.
To be fair, I don't think the Knicks are going to insist on playing Porzingis at center like the Raptors did with Bargs (I'm aware the presence of Chris Bosh was likely the driver of that), and the Robin Lopez signing will go a long was to just letting Porzingis develop in less of a forced way. I liked the Jerian Grant pickup for them as well - the Knicks are putting together some nicer young players than they've had in a while (which is admittedly setting the bar very low) and could be in a nice rebuilding situation once they get the pick they owe this year out of the way, should they move on from Carmelo (who I'm not convinced Phil loves).

I've said this before, but a deal centered on some of Orlando's youth in exchange for Carmelo's ability to be a headliner come playoff time could make sense for both sides.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Watched the first two minutes and wasn't impressed. He starts all his offensive moves too far away from the basket. He lacks a goto move off which to base other moves.
Porzingis' came to the NBA not as a go-to scorer but as a guy that had the ability to be a defensive game changer while having the potential to be a plus offensive player. There are some encouraging signs defensively, he moves well laterally for his size, and shows some ability to defend out on the perimeter.

That being said from what I saw he has a tendency to space out in space, giving guys open lanes to the rim. So the coaching staff is going to need to handle him carefully, and make sure that he doesn't develop the entitlement issues that Bargnani did.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
in Porzingis' prime:

Who is the nba comparison? That is what we need to know.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
chris bosh with a better jumpshot but less rebounding

kinda thin plus defender due to height, length and pretty good agility

on offense mostly a face up guy with range out past the 3 point line

the combination of his agility , 7'3 height , shooting ability and 38 inch vertical pretty much make his step back jumpshot his go to move in time

I don't believe he'll be a great one on one guy though

a mediocre rebounder.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
AK47 is the closest comparison but he is like 6 inches taller, longer and maybe even more athletic. Plus he can shoot.

Very unique prospect that will garner a lot of eyeballs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts