Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Krstic will play for Serbia and Nachbar will play for Slovenia in the World Championships in Tokyo. Planinic will play for Croatia and Drejer will play for Denmark in the Eurobasket Qualifying Round in Madrid. All have committed at least verbally to their national teams. Ilic may even get a call to join Krstic on the Serbian team since the new Serbian coach has said he wants to go young and avoid the problems he had with diva's last summer.

Is this a good idea? I think not.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Thats the disadvantage of having european players on your team. They are worn out during regular Nba seasons because they are so committed to their national teams in the offseason. Unless you are Pao Gasol and ditch your national team heh.
You know if Krstic really wants to get to that next level, he needs an offseason. But i guess thats not going to happen
 

· Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
NetIncome said:
Is this a good idea? I think not.
In Drejers case, I think it is a good idea.. Not only because it will help Denmark, but because he can gain a lot of confidence, being the man. He took Denmark on his shoulders a few months ago, and I am sure that helped build some of that confidence, that has made him a great player this season.

Krstic on the other hand, should stay home. We all know what he can do - but what can he become? Stay in the US as work hard with the Nets staff!
 

· Burned
Joined
·
18,770 Posts
I think it's fine that everyone else plays, but I would like the Nets to strongly suggest to Nenad that he should sit this one out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ghoti said:
I think it's fine that everyone else plays, but I would like the Nets to strongly suggest to Nenad that he should sit this one out.
They strongly suggested to both Krstic and Planinic that they not play last summer. Both decided to play anyway. As noted by D'Alessandro this week:

Krstic, whose career is also surging, knows that Gasol attributes his breakout season to a less hectic off-season ("He's at his best right now," he conceded), but Krstic said that won't influence his decision to play for Serbia this coming summer.

On the one hand, Krstic claims, "I have a choice, and this is my decision." But on the other, he admits that he'd get pummeled in the press if he didn't play.

"Probably, yeah," Krstic said with a laugh. "It would be very hard. You can't walk the street. It's like that with him, too."

He pointed at Zoran Planinic, who quickly agreed. "Even if Croatia is more of a soccer country than Serbia, it would be very hard," Planinic said. "But it would be especially tough for Curly."
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,657 Posts
NetIncome said:
Krstic will play for Serbia and Nachbar will play for Slovenia in the World Championships in Tokyo. Planinic will play for Croatia and Drejer will play for Denmark in the Eurobasket Qualifying Round in Madrid. All have committed at least verbally to their national teams. Ilic may even get a call to join Krstic on the Serbian team since the new Serbian coach has said he wants to go young and avoid the problems he had with diva's last summer.

Is this a good idea? I think not.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

krstic won't gain any weight... OMFG why are these guys so loyal to their country (and why is there an world tourni every ****ing year>?)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Lord-SMX said:
why are these guys so loyal to their country (and why is there an world tourni every ****ing year>?)
Representing your country is perhaps the greatest honour for an athlete here, and that continues to be the case, no matter if you win gold one time.

I don't hope this comes out the wrong way.. But I hate it when american players claim that representing your country is the greatest feeling in the world - then turn down the offer the next time there's a championship. Greatest feeling my a.. - all they want is a gold medal, and a place in the history books..

Well.. At least some of them (did I just save my *** there? :biggrin: )...
 

· Burned
Joined
·
18,770 Posts
NetIncome said:
They strongly suggested to both Krstic and Planinic that they not play last summer.
Actually, they should flat out tell him not to go.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO can do. I think it's even part of the CBA.

And by the way, the Nets have very good relations [obviously] with teams in Serbia, etc. If you tell one of the national team's best players, "you cant play for your country", that will not sit well with the locals. Stefanski didnt find Krstic. A Serbian coach who scouted part time for the Nets saw him and recommended him to Stefanski.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
57,945 Posts
ghoti said:
Actually, they should flat out tell him not to go.
Don't think that's possible, would be if it were during the NBA season.

Maybe this will get him some recognition.

-Petey
 

· Burned
Joined
·
18,770 Posts
NetIncome said:
NO can do. I think it's even part of the CBA.

And by the way, the Nets have very good relations [obviously] with teams in Serbia, etc. If you tell one of the national team's best players, "you cant play for your country", that will not sit well with the locals. Stefanski didnt find Krstic. A Serbian coach who scouted part time for the Nets saw him and recommended him to Stefanski.
I know they can't stop him from playing, but they should really try to find a way to make it worthwhile for him to skip it.

I am fine with the others playing. It definitely had a positive effect on Zoran last year and he will benefit from another busy offseason. (It's not like he needs the rest!)
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,647 Posts
This is highly unfortunate. There's no way playing basketball for Serbia this summer is in Nenad's best interests as an NBA player. The Nets need to get him on a workout/conditioning program. A babyfatless Nenad, with an added 10-15 pounds of muscle, is ready to eat the league like hotcakes. Combined that with the added time with Cartwright, and Nenad could have made huge leaps. In Serbia, at best, he maintains his current ability level.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
We need Krstic in our National team this summer.He will be one of tle leaders of new wawe of players.I agree that he could use off season but thats not gonna happen.I know that he want to win with national team.It was horrific experince last two season.I want to se Krstic,Milicic and Ilic this summer in Japan.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,073 Posts
The extra work couldn't hurt Nenad. Problem is, he might be better off working out with Dalatri. Still, the skill-development from playing for national pride can't hurt.

As for the rest, I hope they'll play. They could use the work.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Ilic have very good chace to play.He is better than Perovic.Tomasevic and Drobnjak are done for good.Ilic is going to be invated in training camp for sure.Sakota said we will go young and he will not chose players based on statistics.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top