Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say Krstic should beef up, I do not agree. Getting bigger would hurt his game just like it did to Joel Pryzbilla who is having a breakthrough season this year after LOSING weight.

Quote:

Przybilla had emerged as one of the season's feel-good stories. A free agent find by general manager John Nash, who had to convince the coaching staff to take him on, Przybilla has gone from an emergency backup to a key cog in the Blazers' future.

His emergence can be attributed to two things, Przybilla says: He has remained injury free for the first time in two seasons, and he abandoned the idea of needing to be a big, beefy center, and returned to his sleek self, losing 45 pounds in the offseason.

"When I was in Milwaukee, I kept thinking that bigger was better," said Przybilla, who is between 235 and 240 pounds now. "I finally realized what got me into the league was my speed and my quickness."

His weight, which hovered around 280 pounds, probably led to the two major injuries that plagued his early seasons: a stress fracture in his left foot during his third season in Milwaukee and tears in each of his patella tendons last season.

He took care of the knees last summer with a nonsurgical procedure and slowly began to gain the confidence of the coaching staff. And after he was a surprise insertion into the starting lineup on Jan. 10, Przybilla has not looked back.

"This league is about seizing opportunity, and Joel has done that," Pritchard said. "We thought he would be good, but he has exceeded our expectations."

And now, those expectations have changed. Since becoming a starter 34 games ago, Przybilla has averaged 8.9 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.44 blocks -- all while being the best on the team at setting screens and having above-average passing skills for a big man. It has created the potential for a heated battle next season for the starting center job once Theo Ratliff recovers from his shoulder injuries.

Ratliff, who said he marvels at the progress Przybilla has made this season, said there will be no controversy, just a better team.

"I know it will be his contract year next year, and hopefully he will have an even stronger year than this year, because I know I'm going to come back stronger, more healthy. Hopefully, we will just jell together."
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1111575321135580.xml

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
KingofNewark said:
People say Krstic should beef up, I do not agree. Getting bigger would hurt his game just like it did to Joel Pryzbilla who is having a breakthrough season this year after LOSING weight.
Absolutely. Maybe another 10-20 pounds of weight-room muscle tops. He's at around 240 right now, I think, which isn't bad for a center at all. I remember Patrick Ewing playing pretty well at that weight back in the day. We don't need another Vin Baker/Shawn Kemp/Oliver Miller situation either...shudder. Not the same kind of weight it's true, but that's another way weight can kill your game. So 10-20 maybe?

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
He needs a little more boom boom, but not too much. He's got to find that happy balance for his body. I don't know what it is, but I would guess its another 10 or 15 pounds. The bigger thing, though, is that he's got to continue to get stronger. He's got alot of growth potential there.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
In other words ... "power to weight ratio" baby.
I think it's really ok to add more weight, as long as they are muscles and minimal fat. Couple that strength training, he'll be a force down low.
For me, how much weight he gains is a non issue, as long as there's corresponding strength that goes with it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
he needs to get stronger to compete with nba players. he gets pushed around sometimes. there is nothing wrong with getting stronger, but bulking up is a problem. if he bulks up, he wont have a jumper anymore, but if he adds muscle he will be fine. tone up

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I think Krstic needs to work most on his lower body strength. He needs to become more explosive. He's never gonna be a McDyess or Kmart type off the floor athlete, but he can get a little quicker off the floor. He seems to need to gather himself before going up, and this leads to his shot getting blocked. He's crafty, so he's developing ways to get around that w/ his mind, but I'd also like to see him add some explosion to his jumping and be able to defeat his opponents physically as well.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i think krstic and collins should help each other this summer. collins can help krstic gain muscle and krstic can teach collins how to make a layup :biggrin:

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
:allhail:

NetsanityJoe said:
i think krstic and collins should help each other this summer. collins can help krstic gain muscle and krstic can teach collins how to make a layup :biggrin:
:cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap: :yes: :rock: :twave: :laugh: :basket: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :jump: :wordyo: :headbang: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :allhail:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
NetsanityJoe said:

DUDE!!!

You made me laugh out loud at the office!

:rotf:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nenad still has a long way to go before he has a Pryzbilla frame. Maybe he's just not built for it. So that leaves one option, creatine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts