Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe he and Paxson see things eye to eye:

He said he has learned that the Bulls, and especially coach Phil Jackson, understood what it takes to be successful.

"For some reason, we had everything going toward one goal," Kukoc says. "I've played with a few teams where everybody doesn't have the same idea of how things are supposed to be done, helping each other on the court, liking each other off the court. I have not seen that often. In Europe, my home team had that and then when I went to the NBA, we had that. So for me, it seemed normal. It's not that it is bad guys, but they all have their idea of how it is to be done and they're not willing to give in.

"My eyes were opened once I left Chicago. You then understand why Phil wanted mature players. It's more important guys know the game than being athletic. You've got to have some athleticism, but a knowledge of the game is more important. It's more important than even talent. You've got to have talented individuals, but you have to have five guys willing to work with each other with guys coming off the bench to work with each other. Basketball is more team oriented than soccer, hockey. That's who wins the championships.

"Look at San Antonio and Detroit. Detroit, they have a good point guard, but you can name five better. But [Chauncey] Billups is great for that team. Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, you can say for all their positions there are better guys, but with each other they make a perfect team. That's why they win games."
I thought his comment about the balance of athleticism, maturity and knowledge of the game was interesting.

Same article as quoted early, but I thought maybe this focused topic could use it's own thread.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Toni's right but It's easy for him to say he had Jordan and Pippen. 2 of the greatest players of all time.I can't leave out Rodman and the rest of the gang as well, and yes Phil who is one of the greatest coach's of all time.Toni's got the right formula I just hope the Bulls do to.Hey the White Sox didn't need a super stars to win it all.So why would Riensdorks other team need them?Hey I didn't see the Yankees running around with the trophey this year.I know its baseball but the point is this,Hard work commitment and team work is what pays off.The Pistons have no super stars like Toni said but they play more agressive then any other team IMO.Passion and love for the game,thats what seperates the men from the babies.Thats why I say Luol and Noc are our best players.I beleive they play hard for thier money but they also realize it's thier jobs to perform at a high level and they work harder then anyone to achieve that goal."Passion"

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
I want some of the Selective Memory Juice the guys from the second threepeat team are drinking.

If it's not Kerr and Pippen and Wennington always going on and on about how Dennis Rodman was a great teammate and never a distraction (I guess all the suspensions and fines and not showing up for the 1997 or 1998 Finals don't count), it's something like this.

I mean, am I crazy, or wasn't Toni Kukoc Phil Jackson's public and private whipping boy? A constant target for scorn due to his defensive shortcomings, his desire to play a guard spot rather than the 4 or 5, his thinking that American-style weight training slowed him down and hurt his strengths? Where was Phil's team concept when a red-hot Kukoc wasn't allowed to try to win Game 5 of the 98 Finals at the buzzer?

Methinks the Waiter is hot after a gig with the Bulls organization. Either that or he's got a case of Stockholm Syndrome that would make Patty Hearst blush.

G

·
What is all this nonsense Kukoc is spewing about "teamwork" "coaching" "knowledge of the game" and all that stuff that hasn't mattered since the brush-cut Hoosier 1950's? At least he didn't try to fool us with talk about "hustle" or "maturity."

Come on, Toni! Its all about individual talent. Athleticism, especially "freakish" athleticism, is waaaaaaay more important than "knowing the game" or, you know, "skills." Fundamentals? Pshaw. Slam dunk, baby!

And coaching? A coach's job is to clap on the sidelines and say "great job guys!"

He is not expected to actually "coach." That might involve criticizing a player and possibly bruising a fragile ego. Or even worse, if allowed to "coach" he might expect a player to conform to team rules, play within the framework of the offense, or in general live up to the expectations of the franchise.

No, that won't do. The franchise must let the player's mojo run free. The coach should hide in the corner and bite his thumbnail. There are five guys on the coart and they are pros - so they should be allowed to play however they want.

The importance of being a good teammate and knowing the game? What planet are you from, Kukoc? What do you know about championship basketball? It sounds like you believe in "jib." Therefore, you don't know squat.

That's why I am all about Knicks Championship Basketball - the Real "Right Way."

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
Is refusing to enter a playoff game with 1.8 seconds left good jib?

No.

Is punching your teammate in the face during practice good jib?

No.
So are you disagreeing with Toni Kukoc?

I actually don't see how Kukoc's time with the Bulls really reflected what we see with the Spurs or Pistons... they know how to play together, but it's a pretty different dynamic as far as I can tell. I mean, it's fairly obvious that championship teams play well together, but I don't know that understanding that helps us in any way. We still need to get another 2-3 players (beyond what we currently have) to be in part of our championship rotation, as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Spud said:
What is all this nonsense Kukoc is spewing about "teamwork" "coaching" "knowledge of the game" and all that stuff that hasn't mattered since the brush-cut Hoosier 1950's? At least he didn't try to fool us with talk about "hustle" or "maturity."

Come on, Toni! Its all about individual talent. Athleticism, especially "freakish" athleticism, is waaaaaaay more important than "knowing the game" or, you know, "skills." Fundamentals? Pshaw. Slam dunk, baby!

And coaching? A coach's job is to clap on the sidelines and say "great job guys!"

He is not expected to actually "coach." That might involve criticizing a player and possibly bruising a fragile ego. Or even worse, if allowed to "coach" he might expect a player to conform to team rules, play within the framework of the offense, or in general live up to the expectations of the franchise.

No, that won't do. The franchise must let the player's mojo run free. The coach should hide in the corner and bite his thumbnail. There are five guys on the coart and they are pros - so they should be allowed to play however they want.

The importance of being a good teammate and knowing the game? What planet are you from, Kukoc? What do you know about championship basketball? It sounds like you believe in "jib." Therefore, you don't know squat.

That's why I am all about Knicks Championship Basketball - the Real "Right Way."
:cheers:

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Mikedc said:
So are you disagreeing with Toni Kukoc?
No, but I think that Kukoc is painting a rosy picture, and I also think that John Paxson has no business appearing in the OP.

For one, Krause formed the team that Kukoc is waxing nostalgic about. Pax in many eyes is the anti-Krause… or is beloved for simply not being Krause.

Another issue is that Kukoc is talking about the benefits of having "maturity" on the team.
Paxson seemingly likes to keep the team young and cheap, and given our draft picks and my doubts about Paxson making any type of meaningful trade this off-season, I think we're still going to be relying on young players next year. 4th year on the job.

The championship Bulls were a dysfunctional group. The coach and GM were on completely different pages.... we had players like Rodman who would simply do their own thing... heck, does Toni remember MJ and Pip treating him like a ***** during the Olympics becuase he was Krause's boy? Lots of bad jib and individuals on the champion bulls team. Certainly not a yessir, boring bunch that Paxson seems to fancy.

The OP linked the Kukoc quote to having something to do with Paxson (jib, right way, no excuses)... I don't think Paxson would choose to create a team like the champion Bulls.

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
No, but I think that Kukoc is painting a rosy picture, and I also think that John Paxson has no business appearing in the OP.

For one, Krause formed the team that Kukoc is waxing nostalgic about. Pax in many eyes is the anti-Krause… or is beloved for simply not being Krause.

Another issue is that Kukoc is talking about the benefits of having "maturity" on the team.
Paxson seemingly likes to keep the team young and cheap, and given our draft picks and my doubts about Paxson making any type of meaningful trade this off-season, I think we're still going to be relying on young players next year. 4th year on the job.

The championship Bulls were a dysfunctional group. The coach and GM were on completely different pages.... we had players like Rodman who would simply do their own thing... heck, does Toni remember MJ and Pip treating him like a ***** during the Olympics becuase he was Krause's boy? Lots of bad jib and individuals on the champion bulls team. Certainly not a yessir, boring bunch that Paxson seems to fancy.

The OP linked the Kukoc quote to having something to do with Paxson (jib, right way, no excuses)... I don't think Paxson would choose to create a team like the champion Bulls.
Regardless of whether the Bulls operated that way, it does appear Kukoc was advocating more along the Paxson line (as you draw it) than the old Bulls team lines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.