Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If we were really interested in getting Kukoc back, I could see it still working. The Bucs, apparently, are relatively high on Best, and at some point, I've heard it said that George Karl like ERob. Also, such a deal could be structured in a way to help the Bucs avoid the luxury tax next year (they're right on the cusp of it, now) by shaving another million or so off of their cap.

Then, we go out and sign Harpring like we wanted, and head into the season with the following rotation:

C - Curry, 30 ; Chandler, 18
PF- Chandler, 12 ; Fizer, 24 Kukoc 12
SF- Harpring, 28 ; Kukoc, 12 Rose 8
SG- Rose, 28 ; Hassell, 20
PG- Jwill, 28 ; Crawford, 20

In the long run, JWill Curry, and Chandler will gain minutes in the rotation as they become more capable, while Kukoc will lose them. In a year or two, they'll both be capable of full starters minutes (@ 36mpg), which will replace Kukoc's time in the rotation almost perfectly.

Likewise, Kukoc provides a nice short-term solution for the next year or two that will dovetail nicely into the development of our backcourt players. If we did these moves, we can move Rose to SG in the short-term. In the longer term, however, he can shift minutes back to SF as Toni slows down. That will open up minutes at SG for Crawford and Hassell.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
The tribune is reporting today that:

1) The bulls were in a three-way deal with Philly and Atlanta with Kukoc to the Bulls, ERob to Philly, and Eric Snow to Atlanta.

2) The deal broke down when Philly sent Speedy Claxton to San Antonio.

3) The bulls were hoping to get both Kukoc and free enough space to sign Harpring.

4) RMR showed the bulls that Chander and Curry are not ready

5) Because of ERob's contract the Bulls are likely to be unable to sign either Harpring or Keon Clark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally don't see any reason of why the Bulls would want Kukoc back. He was a good role player at one time, but I feel like his days in Chicago are over and that there are not many things he can help the team out with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If Kukoc's contract ran up after next season I would like that trade, even though we're giving up alot. Best is gone unless he doesn't get a long-term deal, and ERob has great athletic ability but it seems like players that have foot injuries have them throughout their careers.

If Kukoc could take a paycut then I would like the trade, because it would free up caproom to TRY and sign a big free agent. Or we could just stay with the guys we got (which will probably happen).

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Kukoc. That was a surprise. I never thought he could be gotten. I thought he was part of hawks future. But if we could have gotten him he would fit with this team!! What i like about him is his passing!! With this young team, you add him with rose as far as getting the other players involved, what better way to include, hassell curry, chandler, baxter and the rest of the young players into the offense of the bulls. It would accelerate their developement! His contract would not of lasted long. Oh, it sure would have been nice. He could play, sf and pf and knew the triangle!!

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Why the Bulls traded away Kukoc is a mystery to me.

In the current scheme, he'd be able to play 4 positions. He played a LOT of center for the championship teams, and he'd by a wonderful sub for Curry (foul trouble, rest). He'd give the team the flexability to move Rose between G and F, and in the old scheme, he'd be the complement to Rose - have one or the other always on the floor.

He was always considered somewhat soft. Never a strong rebounder or defender.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by DaBullz
Why the Bulls traded away Kukoc is a mystery to me.

In the current scheme, he'd be able to play 4 positions. He played a LOT of center for the championship teams, and he'd by a wonderful sub for Curry (foul trouble, rest). He'd give the team the flexability to move Rose between G and F, and in the old scheme, he'd be the complement to Rose - have one or the other always on the floor.

He was always considered somewhat soft. Never a strong rebounder or defender.
I agree that he's not a big defender, but if this deal went through, we'd still be able to snag Harpring to provide some defensive presence.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts