Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Re: KVBL Reboot Suggestion Box

new susggition - limit the overall top 3 picks an X team can team during a Y time.. just to avoid the luck factor of it..

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

Twisting some of the lotto ideas...

What if only the teams with the top 4 records don't make the lotto? Now, they wouldn't stand a great chance of winning, not good enough to make you want to slip down the playoff seedings and lose home court for playoff series...

You can set it up that whatever your place in the league standings is, that's how many ping pong balls you get. So this year, the Heat, Clippers, Rockets, and Storm aren't involved. The Nuggets get 5 lotto balls, the Wolves get 6, and so on through the whole league. Worst team has an advantage, but it's slight.

If you put the min win rule in with it, it could work nicely. If you set min win at 15, and the Lakers win 4, they would lose 11 lotto balls from their total.

I would put the top 7 picks in the draft into the lotto hopper. The worst team could pick no lower than 8th. So they still have a chance to pick higher, but it's not a lock, and they won't still be blessed with a top 4 pick.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

Stepien Rule: Teams cannot trade out of the first round in consecutive future drafts.

For example, the Jazz have traded their 2062 first-round pick to Houston. Therefore, they aren't allowed to trade their 2063 first-rounder unless they receive a first-round pick (for either '62 or '63 or at least a pick swap) in return. However, following the 2062 draft, the Jazz regain the right to trade that 2063 first-rounder, since their '62 first-rounder is no longer considered a future pick.

This prevents the complete stripping of a franchise's draft picks and makes the league much more palatable for potential new GMs. I think this is an absolutely crucial rule.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts

TEAM OPTIONS: Last year of contract only (not allowed on decreasing salary deals)

PLAYOFFS: No byes possible in JSB so no 6x6. I think 8x8 makes the most sense... but with this twist...

LOTTO: 12 teams eligible for lotto. Worst 12 regular season records regardless of conference or whether or not they made the playoffs.

One "ping pong ball" for every regular season win among the lotto teams. Still, only the top 3 teams are decided by the lotto. 4th pick on down is still in reverse order of regular season record. Therefore, the prize for the worst overall record is usually the 4th pick.

SCOUTING: None. Player write-ups, grades (by scouts with not always clear agendas), and rankings by skillset (as seen in this thread) should be the only info we get. We have to make late first round and second round true sleepers a thing. You might not get one of the top 7 or 8 talents in the 2nd round, but you still have a shot at getting a rock solid rotation guy.

I think I just fell in love with RWE. I love every single one of these suggestions. KJ look here!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts

this is the dumbest thing I have read in a loooong time. I traded all my picks for a contending youngish team. I did not want a reboot. So now you're suggesting I lose all my picks and lose everything I traded those picks for.....
We can change it so it only applies to teams who voted yes to reboot.

Right now the optimal strategy is trade all future 1sts, contend as long as possible, then force a reboot making all the 1sts traded away worthless.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts

Stepien Rule: Teams cannot trade out of the first round in consecutive future drafts.

For example, the Jazz have traded their 2062 first-round pick to Houston. Therefore, they aren't allowed to trade their 2063 first-rounder unless they receive a first-round pick (for either '62 or '63 or at least a pick swap) in return. However, following the 2062 draft, the Jazz regain the right to trade that 2063 first-rounder, since their '62 first-rounder is no longer considered a future pick.

This prevents the complete stripping of a franchise's draft picks and makes the league much more palatable for potential new GMs. I think this is an absolutely crucial rule.
I'd like to bring back this rule. Makes it impossible to bring in new owners when bad owners abandon their team without 1sts.

This also makes future reboots less likely.

I'd also make it so only picks that are on the current team page are tradeable.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

We can change it so it only applies to teams who voted yes to reboot.

Right now the optimal strategy is trade all future 1sts, contend as long as possible, then force a reboot making all the 1sts traded away worthless.
This logic is severly flawed considering 3/3.5 lasted like 40 seasons. Also I voted yes for Reboot because I know its best for the league since KJ owing 1/6 of the league makes 0 sense. But in your scenario I lose my picks because I went all in to win a title with Mase.

The only people who benefit from this rule are the people who were tanking at the time of the reboot and collected picks from all the people who were trying to win a title.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts

Removing tanking is pretty easy. Just stop making players like Adam Park that are equal to the two best players of other playoff teams.

If the difference in talent between pick 1 and pick 5 is reduced, you remove the incentive.

The problem will never go away until draft talent is more balanced and less 1st pick or bust.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts

This logic is severly flawed considering 3/3.5 lasted like 40 seasons. Also I voted yes for Reboot because I know its best for the league since KJ owing 1/6 of the league makes 0 sense. But in your scenario I lose my picks because I went all in to win a title with Mase.

The only people who benefit from this rule are the people who were tanking at the time of the reboot and collected picks from all the people who were trying to win a title.
So how do we discourage a future situation where teams trade all of their 1sts and then try to force a reboot because they are treadmilling? If not now, we need to implement it for future hypothetical reboots.

People have to know that you can't trade your next 7 1st and then force a league reboot when your team treadmills.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts

It's not Bubbles fault to tank when it is the optimal strategy. If there are players like mase and park floating around, the most intelligent strategy as rebuilding team is to get one of those players to match the contending teams.

If the super players don't exist, the hardcore tanking disappears immediately.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts

Smath didn't win titles with super talented players. Also RWE couldn't build win title with Park. Netting talent like park is not enough.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
Re: KVBL Reboot Suggestion Box (Deadline Saturday @ 3 PM)

"Win your pick" seems to discourage tanking in most other leagues I know of.

Quite simply, it takes the existing NBA lotto and flips it where the top team out of the playoffs gets the #1 odds and down the line. If you strip a team down to rebuild in this manner, you are looking at picking just before playoff teams do.

Stepien rule has to be put in to avoid someone dumping a decade of picks and leaving a new owner to pick up the pieces.

I know it was mentioned on Flock, but no trading (or EXTREMELY LIMITED) trading during the creation draft.

·
Registered
499 Posts

I also like the idea of no trading during the snake draft

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

I like the idea of heavy, heavy trading during the snake draft! My picks are up for grabs!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.