Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 points 13 rebounds tonight against Seattle. 9 points 10 rebounds against the Spurs. Before that he was avraging 13 points 9 rebounds over 8 games.

Like i said before,in Washington they wanted him to be the savior. A domimant low post scorer who carries there whole team. Thats not his game. He is not a scorer. Phil jackson has slowly molded Kwame in to that dirty work type player ALA Horace grant. Kwame is buying in to it.At the center positon.Lakers dont need Kwame to be a dominant scorer,they already got Kobe and Lamar.His low post defense has been awesome,his rebounding is beginning to rise BIG TIME. I thought he played another great defensive game aginst Tim duncan the other night,but Toni parker began getting in the paint. Thats how Duncan got his points.Off Pick and Pop plays. 1 on 1 in the post,Kwame played him very well again. Kwame is actually a better 1 on 1 defender then Ben wallace. The difference between the 2 is help defense,and consistency on the boards.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
This is a smart move by Phil, who realizes Kwame may never be anything but a great defender/rebounder, but that's much much better than not being anything at all.

Kwame's defense and rebounding has picked up, but Ben Wallace is still much better. I'd give Kwame more time to see if he'll keep improving.

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
I'd say Kwame is more like Jeff Foster at this point, and that's no insult really. Foster when healthy is a 10 rebound a night player who is one of the best post defenders in the league. He just isn't a shotblocker so his defense gets overlooked.

Kwame Brown is like that. He can be a great rebounder and great post defender, but has shown no signs of shotblocking really, and obviously his offense is still limited to putbacks and finishing using his athleticism.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Should be:
Could Kwame be the next Ben Wallace? Not Kwame- the next Ben Wallace.

That's entirely possible, Kwame has the body for it. His one on one defense is pretty good, but team defense/rotations he's still off. It comes from his low basketball IQ/instinct (which explains some of the braindead mistakes he makes in games), which hopefully Phil can change.

· Registered
4,241 Posts
I wonder if Michael Olowokandi had a similar stretch of games. Oh wait, now I remember, he played an entire season of 12/9 ball. He's the next great big man!

Reactions: SlamJam

· Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Come on b-scott whyd you have to make this thread...

Youre just grilling up the laker haters to cook on this forum.

Kwame Brown is nowhere near ben wallace and one word sums it up...

consistency

if he shows consistency throughout the whole season, then you should bring up this thread and perhaps might make a justifiable argument, but at this point... no!

· Registered
4,241 Posts
Kwame Brown is nowhere near ben wallace and one word sums it up...

consistency
Here's a phrase that sums it up, if you will:

"Kwame Brown is nowhere even close to Ben Wallace's level and in all likelihood, never will be."

That moreso than consistency.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
Kwame has the potential to be a Horace Grant type player, basically 10/10 guy who plays tough defense without the stats.

But, he needs to be more aggressive and more assertive, he only really plays well, every now and then OR, when the other team lets him.

· Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,781 Posts
It is funny how people act like Ben Wallace was tearing up the league the moment he stepped on the court.

· Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
MemphisX said:
It is funny how people act like Ben Wallace was tearing up the league the moment he stepped on the court.
He had a totally diffrent mentality from Kwame Brown though. He had to earn respect in the league every minute. He wasn't drafted number 1 overall. He was undrafted. He had to pour so many hours into the gym to try and make it in the league.

To compare the two players, is just...insulting to Ben Wallace.

We're talking about Kwame Brown...possibly the most fragile mind in the NBA...against Ben Wallace, a man who refused to give up. If Ben Wallace were gifted with 1/10th of the talent that Kwame has, he would be the player of all-time.

Probably a better comparison is Harvey Grant. Scared little washington bullet who never could live up to the shadow of his twin brother Horace.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.