Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT: Kwame Brown with another huge game

Tonight Kwame had 20 pts, 6 reb, and 6 blk in 32 minutes.

This was after a good first game when he had 5 blks (I think).

This leads me to two questions:

1) Will he keep it up at a similar pace or slighlty lower pace(something like 15 pts, 8 reb, 3 blk avg.)

2) If so, do you think Tyson and Eddy can perform at a similar level?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
After seeing that game I can honestly say Kwame is ahead of Tyson and Eddy right now. Must have been some summer!

The stats might not be too staggering, but if you saw HOW he got these stats you'd be a believer. Jared Jefferies and even the late intro of Dixon also looked impressive. Hughes needs some work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hopefully Curry will show up for the game on Friday night. If he doesn't, maybe Rose needs to light a fire under his...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: OT: Kwame Brown with another huge game

Originally posted by <b>Sangha</b>!
Tonight Kwame had 20 pts, 6 reb, and 6 blk in 32 minutes.

This was after a good first game when he had 5 blks (I think).

This leads me to two questions:

1) Will he keep it up at a similar pace or slighlty lower pace(something like 15 pts, 8 reb, 3 blk avg.)

2) If so, do you think Tyson and Eddy can perform at a similar level?
I need to understand...what comes after "HUGE"?

:grinning:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Kwame has looked like a real nba player out on the court so far this season. He is playing with confidence and like he knows his way around the floor. Last year he looked horrible out there. I gotta give the man props for working on his game. The bulls dont get many games on tv so I only get to look at box scores and listen to it on the radio over the internet so I dont getta see how Tyson and Eddy look on the court. Both seem like they have shows signs of brilliance. I was shocked with how poorly Curry played against boston but I expect him to be great. We should be able to find out whos the most developed of the 3 in maybe a month or so.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Peter Vescey</b>!
Kwame seems to have gotten a little more out of Pete Newell's camp than Tyson or Eddy did.
I think it's way too early to draw that kind of conclussion. While Kwame's put up some nice numbers, lets keep in mind that he's operating against alot of zone defenses because the Wiz haven't got much on the perimeter. These zones are allowing him to slip into the paint for boards without anybody putting a body on him. Now, he deserves all the credit in the world for being aggressive and taking advantage of these "centerless" zones that the NBA allows. But I suspect his numbers will go down a little when he faces more man to man "D".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DickieHurtz</b>!

I think it's way too early to draw that kind of conclussion. While Kwame's put up some nice numbers, lets keep in mind that he's operating against alot of zone defenses because the Wiz haven't got much on the perimeter. These zones are allowing him to slip into the paint for boards without anybody putting a body on him. Now, he deserves all the credit in the world for being aggressive and taking advantage of these "centerless" zones that the NBA allows. But I suspect his numbers will go down a little when he faces more man to man "D".
Regardless of what he's been doing on offense he has been an absolute beast on defense, blocking and altering every shot that comes his way. Even if his offense is a product of people zoning up the wizards his offensive game is far (way far) from complete.

·
Registered
321 Posts
From what little I have seen this season thus far, Kwame Brown looks like a different player than the one who sleepwalked through his rookie season. Watch his footwork now. It's actually very good, a great sign that he has put a lot of effort into his game over the summer.

The harder you work, the luckier you get.

·
Registered
835 Posts
After 2 games Brown is averaging 16 pts, 12 rebs, 5.5 blocks and 1.5 steals. I don't think it is a fluke because he did it all preseason.

I am sure MJ has pushed him big time in the offseason.

And some were labeling this kid a bust already.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Doggpound</b>!
Just hope the hype that is coming doesn't go to his head.

He looked really good last night.
I can't see Kwame turning into a "Fat Elvis" version of himself, but then again, look at Vin Baker. Boy, what a monstrously bad trade that was for the Celts.

So far, I'm shocked at just how good Kwame looks. I'm sure he'll have some youthful mistakes, but damn.

·
Registered
663 Posts
@mikedc There was quote I read in USA Today by Kwame saying something like "Last year after a good game, I would taken tonight off. I'm trying to be consistent this year" or something like that.

With any player that young, when they get hype (and he WILL get a LOT of hype should he post about 2 or 3 more games like the last two), you don't really know how they will react. He saying the right things, I just hope he acts on it.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Well-Schooled, Well-Learned

Originally posted by <b>Doggpound</b>!
@mikedc There was quote I read in USA Today by Kwame saying something like "Last year after a good game, I would taken tonight off. I'm trying to be consistent this year" or something like that.

With any player that young, when they get hype (and he WILL get a LOT of hype should he post about 2 or 3 more games like the last two), you don't really know how they will react. He saying the right things, I just hope he acts on it.
That's definitely the case, I guess at this point all we have to go on though is what he says. So far, he's saying the right things, which is a step ahead of last year :)

On that note, here's some fluff from your flip-flopping buddy Mike Wilbon in today's post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49531-2002Nov1.html

Okay, it's only two games. And as Brown was quick to say, "I'm not about to get a big head when we've got 80 more games to play." But still, the transformation is unbelievable.

After a 12-point, 18-rebound, 5-block performance in the season opener at Toronto Wednesday night, Doug Collins said he told his coaches, "This'll be a great challenge, to see how Kwame does in a back-to-back situation."

Well, here's how Brown did: 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting, 6 rebounds and 6 blocked shots. That's 11 blocked shots in two games. There aren't five players in the NBA who can block 11 shots in two games.

"[Brown's] relieved, I'm relieved, I think everybody's relieved," Michael Jordan said.

------------------------

Now, the first quote (by Brown), I think, was saying all the right things. The second quote (by MJ), left me a little baffled. I'm still not sure that he and Collins "get it" with regards to how they need to coax good performances out of Kwame.

That is, they made a big show this off-season about how they had to "ease off" of him, but "relief" seems to me to indicate that they had a lot of stress built up over his performance, and, if it hadn't been good, they might have gone back to taking him to task for it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I get that sense.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I hope he doesn't become too dependent on that beautiful face-up jumper. Too often big men fall in love with that shot and stop working on their post moves like former Bullets Webber and Wallace.

·
Registered
663 Posts
@mikedc lol, it's already started I see. I hope Kwame doesn't read the Post..... I also agree with what you said about MJ's quote, and I sort of don't think that's the right thing for him to say. He should expect and demand more instead of being relieved. Who knows though, Kwame seemed pretty fragile mentally last year, so maybe positive reinforcement is the way to go with him.

I hope he doesn't become too dependent on that beautiful face-up jumper. Too often big men fall in love with that shot and stop working on their post moves like former Bullets Webber and Wallace.
I agree 100% with that. It always makes me cringe when big men hit their first jumper of the game, just means they are going to keep shooting it. Case in point - A. Walker last night. Hit his first three and kept chucking them up. Maybe he didn't want to get swatted by Kwame again down low.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
By the way can someone explain why a topic on Kwame Brown is labeled "OT"?

:topic: :confused:

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I think last years tough love by MJ and Collins have helped Kwame get tougher mentally and compared to Chandler and Curry, I think he has way better people in his ear helping him develop. Kwame won't have games like last night every night, but he has a body that he's now using which gives him a slight advantage over where the bulls youngsters are, all will be good players in this league in time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts