Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
he was never a total bust. he just didn't live up to the #1 pick expectations. he is really improving this year. getting a lot of double-double's lately and he has been getting more shot opportunities. he was schooling ben wallace, 2 time defensive player of the year, last night. he's really quick and has some great moves. he's going to be big.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I agree with shonin that he was never a bust as a player; anyone who thought that jumped the gun ridiculously quick. The only question really was whether or not he is going to be a bust of a first overall pick, which the jury is still out on. As little as a month ago, I was doubting his ability to be anything more than a solid second option. Now, after watching him during the month of Januray, I'm beginning to raise my hopes for him. He still has a lot to work on (specifically on the mental side of things, where there's still a ton to improve on), but he's shown the basic attributes that made him the first pick.

Simply put, I can't think of any post defender that can stay in front of that quick step that he has. For a player of his size, it's lightning fast. He also has started to really show a knack for being able to draw fouls while in the post. He makes a lot of really nice fakes, and once his defender falls for one, he knows just how to use that to get fouled and get two trips to the free throw line. His defense, mainly his post defense, has been very nice all year. He rarely needs a double team to help him out, which is very helpful to the team as a whole on defense.

He has just improved by leaps and bounds over the past month or so, especially compared to earlier in the season. Earlier this year, he couldn't finish around the basket, often got yanked from the lineup after one or two bad plays, and did way too much standing around on offense if the ball wasn't in his hands. Now, he's become a viable down-low player for us that other teams actually need to plan against. I'm very interested in what happens with him over the rest of the season -- definitely the number one story that I'm interested in with the Wizards.

On a related note, despite my plan to update my "Kwame with 8+ Shots" thread throughout the year, I'm probably going to leave it alone. It looks like 8+ shots is going to become a fairly regular occurance for him, so the point is kind of lost.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!He still has a lot to work on specifically on the mental side of things, where there's still a ton to improve on.
i agree with this statement.

We heard all sort of strange things concerning Kwame. I heard that his hands were allegedly not big enough and other things like this that were not necesseraly convincing. he struggled during his start in the NBA and he has been criticized all the time. everyone of his gesture was analysed , regardless of the reason. When a young man is harassed like that , his mental health must be really solid if he want to survive. Now that he gets some tranquility , he can work peacefully on his game and make progress. he is just 21 and could be actually playing ball as a junior in a college. he was a un-hype victim but i hope sincerely thaht this time is gone and that he is going to prove to his detractors they were wrong. And sometimes just malicious.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
In my book

Kwame > Eddy Curry

Even though Eddy is playing well against the Knicks tonight

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Well, he's at 13ppg and 8rpg over the last month, <b>and consistent at that</b>. That's pretty good actually.
That's the key, and that was my personal gauge as to how far Kwame would climb this season. I wasn't too caring as to the kind of stats he was going to put up (the 13/8 he's doing now is plenty fine), I just wanted to see him play consistently. I was tired of the 1-4 for 2 points with 3 rebounds one night, then 6-10 for 12 points with 11 rebounds the next. He needs to keep it up, and if he can for the rest of the season, then I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it really pisses me off that the most shot attempts in one game he's taken in his career is 15, it should be like 20, 15 is what he should be shooting every game by the way he's playing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.