Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In discussing the difference between playing with the pass-first Knight and Arenas (18.2 points per game), a converted shooting guard who looks to score, forward Kwame Brown shed some insight into the team's recent offensive struggles.

"Brevin really sets the tone," Brown said. "Sometimes Gilbert comes out, and if he's on, it's good. If he's not, he takes those wild shots and everybody takes wild shots like, 'I got the ball it's my turn to shoot.' Brevin doesn't do that, so it's going to be more of a controlled game."

Link

Not too subtle there, Kwame :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Geez, why would he say something like that? If he lightly implied that Knight plays a more controlled game as sort of a message to Arenas, then I'd say fine. However, he couldn't have been more blunt in that statement. He doesn't get the ball much as it is, and badmouthing the team's star PG isn't the way to fix that. I wonder if he would've said that if Arenas wasn't going to be out for the next month?

·
Registered
996 Posts
he's kinda right though, it's not really gilbert though it's more hughes. It's a bad statement to make, but who reads that anyway except die hard wizards fans.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Kwame just doesn't seem like the brightest knife at the picnic...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kwame is 100% right. Too many of you stick up for Arenas just because hes supposed to be the star, but he was terrible when he came back from his injury, he was more hurtful than helpful. He also took alot of bad shots, of course its par for the course for Hughes, Blake, and Dixon to take poor shots. We have 4 gunning guards, and i completely agree with Kwame, Brevin is the only guard that really plays controlled and smart.

And what has Kwame done? Do you watch these games or do you just talk about them on the forums? Hes only been the Wizards most consistent player in their last dozen games, finally showing signs of being a dominating PF in the league, while getting the least of opportunities/minutes to do it. In fact, hes been one of the lone bright spots on a team filled with gunning guards that are poor passers. Thing is you wouldnt know that if you didnt watch the games, national media is so ignorant of why a players numbers are down, or why he was coming off the bench, and they just assume hes a bust, which isnt the case for Kwame.

Its funny that Kwame said that, i posted the same exact thing earlier today and i never read this till now. Unbelievable. Anyhow, the reason whyy the Wizards are the worst team in the league has in large part to do with our guards. They dont really suck, theyre just stupid. Brevin's the only one with a brain.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Kwame may very well be right, but that's not a good reason to take verbal jabs at your team's top player (he may have stunk in his 5-6 games since returning from injury, but he was definitely our top player before he was hurt). That's especially true when Arenas is going to be out a month or more with an injury -- it's not like he's going to be able to get out on the court to prove Kwame's point right or wrong.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kwame might be right, but there are all kinds of true statements one just doesn't make. This was one of them.

I'm not totally sure he's right though. Arenas did look like crap in the latest comeback attempt, but it's pretty clear he wasn't healthy either.

I don't think he should have tried and come back when he wasn't ready, and that's the main problem... when he was healthy, the Wiz were tangibly better. Any disputing that seems pretty crazy to me.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Kwame is right, and should've said what he said. It had to be said, he can't just be shy and not voice out cuz he isnt a superstar

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
i'd like everyone to first look at the first amendment, then look at how big or a superstar kwame brown is. conclusion? he can say whatever the hell he wants to say and not get bashed horribly by it since he's not a superstar.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I don't see the need for any player to make comments like this, right or wrong, superstar or scrub. I can never figure out what makes these guys feel like ripping on a teammate in the media as opposed to doing it to that person's face behind closed doors.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
i'd like everyone to first look at the first amendment, then look at how big or a superstar kwame brown is. conclusion? he can say whatever the hell he wants to say and not get bashed horribly by it since he's not a superstar.
Was what Kwame said going to help the team? Like MJG said, Arenas won't even be playing for the next 2 months or so, so I think what Kwame said is a cheap shot. Players don't need to pointlessly whine to the media, which is what this basically is.

Kwame is right, and should've said what he said. It had to be said, he can't just be shy and not voice out cuz he isnt a superstar
Again, shouldn't have Kwame spoken out before Arenas even came back? What good is it to say something when the guy isn't even going to be playing? If Kwame said something about Arenas before he got hurt, then it wouldn't be whining, it would be for the better of the team, I suppose.

And isn't Kwame Brown the same guy who voluntarily gets taken out of games because he is too tired? Please. Build some endurance, then maybe you can openly criticize whoever the hell you want with some credibility.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
You people defending Kwame's right to say what he pleases should keep in mind that what goes around comes around. Kwame is far from perfect. And Gil is known to have quite the temper.

These type of comments to the media about teammates do nothing productive. If Kwame has a problem with Gil talking to the media isn't going to solve it. It's just going to make it a big deal.

Kwame can say what he wants. But if he had half a brain he would have kept his mouth shut.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Look at all the crap being said about Kwame in the media. He gets the most abuse.

And I'm not a Wiz fan, but the problem I gather with Brown is that he lacks effort. But this kinda shows me he cares, he cares about the team enough to try and get them to work together and that he's stepping and being a man.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kwame does care though, i think abit too much in relation to the rest of the team. Hes praised pretty often for makiing the obvious pass, most people arent praised for that. But on a team where players dont really pass or have a hard time doing it, Kwame gets praised for it. He also asked out when he was playing well in one of the games recently because he said he didnt have the energy to give all his effort at both ends, so he felt he might be a liability. To me thats very unselfish. Also, you guys have to watch Kwame's defensive efforts, he plays harder defense and takes pride in it than most of the team. He was pissed off at EJ for not allowing him to guard i think it was KG or someone who got off against the Wizards. These were all reported at one time or another in the papers, none of what i said above was madeup~

I see what you guys are saying by 'not rocking the boat', but at some point when your losing constantly, maybe someone needs to speak up. Coaches like Phil Jackson use the media as well to get to his players, and alot of them do it in a calculating way.

I just get so frustrated watching the Wizards guards constantly gun us out of games, i'm glad a big man finally spoke up. They might take it personally against Kwame, but imo they needed to hear that. The guards remind me of Jamal Crawford before Skiles came and knocked some common sense into him. I honestly think they need to hire someone like Skiles to get them to play smarter, instead of make excuses constantly for them being young. The Wizards are like the Cartwright era Bulls where after every loss all you hear are excuses for how young they are :mad:

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Happyface</b>!
Kwame does care though, i think abit too much in relation to the rest of the team. Hes praised pretty often for makiing the obvious pass, most people arent praised for that. But on a team where players dont really pass or have a hard time doing it, Kwame gets praised for it. He also asked out when he was playing well in one of the games recently because he said he didnt have the energy to give all his effort at both ends, so he felt he might be a liability. To me thats very unselfish. Also, you guys have to watch Kwame's defensive efforts, he plays harder defense and takes pride in it than most of the team. He was pissed off at EJ for not allowing him to guard i think it was KG or someone who got off against the Wizards. These were all reported at one time or another in the papers, none of what i said above was madeup~

I see what you guys are saying by 'not rocking the boat', but at some point when your losing constantly, maybe someone needs to speak up. Coaches like Phil Jackson use the media as well to get to his players, and alot of them do it in a calculating way.

I just get so frustrated watching the Wizards guards constantly gun us out of games, i'm glad a big man finally spoke up. They might take it personally against Kwame, but imo they needed to hear that. The guards remind me of Jamal Crawford before Skiles came and knocked some common sense into him. I honestly think they need to hire someone like Skiles to get them to play smarter, instead of make excuses constantly for them being young. The Wizards are like the Cartwright era Bulls where after every loss all you hear are excuses for how young they are :mad:
I have to agree with happyface here. I am suprised at the backlash because this isnt the first time that Kwame has spoken his mind. Hes still a young guy and hes brutally honest, whether thats right or not is a judgement call but regardless he is correct

·
Registered
726 Posts
Regardless of whether or not it is true, Kwame needs to keep it in the locker room. Saying it to the media is not a great idea. Looking back at his statement, it's not really so outrageous, but it's not a good idea to point out your teammates flaws publically. It works better to just talk to him if you have a problem.

Anyway, I think what he said is correct. Arenas is only in his third year, and he occassionally takes bad shots, just like most guards on the Wizards. Most of the time, though, he helps a lot more than he hurts.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I really have no problem in the least with players offering harsh comments to other players. Like I mentioned before, I feel any player can do it to any other player, regardless of age, experience, or team role. However, I don't think I'll ever understand why people say their feelings to reporters as opposed to that player directly. This isn't specific to Kwame's comments, just sort of a general feeling that relates to the situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts