Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This off season, the Orlando Magic have acted swiftly to add to their roster for the new campaign. In doing so, they have avoided any potential panic purchases, and have the nucleus of the team together nice and early.

Two of the players they have brought in–Channing Frye and Ben Gordon–are of the veteran variety, and they will certainly help. Yet the ugly truth is that this has been a summer when the team hasn’t even been linked with a big name.

Yes, rebuilding is a long term thing, but is this a concern?

The Magic hope to lure a superstar in the future, but getting one like Kevin Durant is extremely difficult.

OK, so it’s not like the Magic were ever going to convince LeBron James or Kevin Love to join the team. Nevertheless there were plenty of other accomplished players available this summer, and Orlando wasn’t even linked with any of them.

For a fan base crying out for some stars to watch in their new arena, this is a worry. Again, the trades and acquisitions done so far have been nice ones that move the team forward.

But they haven’t excited the fans, some of whom are now really getting restless.

Be honest, the most exciting player on the roster is Victor Oladipo. He has just come off his stellar rookie season.

It’s great to have him on the team, but when that is as exciting as it gets, something is wrong. It is clear that Orlando are looking to probably make more of an impact during free agency next summer, but there is no guarantee the team will have any joy then either.
http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/22/orlando-magic-lack-real-stars-worry/

·
Put some respeck on ma name!
30,063 Posts
It's not only the lack of a star in Orlando that would have me worried, but rather the fact that they might find themselves treading water in that dangerous zone of the 8th seed/late lotto given how weak the East is.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really see them sniffing the playoffs, even in the East. I think they'll get another good pick in next year's draft and hope that Gordon becomes that star they're looking for.

·
Put some respeck on ma name!
30,063 Posts
Just looked at the East again. It's pretty bad but you're right, they likely won't make the top 8.

Pacers, Bulls, Cavs, Heat, Raptors, Nets, Wizards, Hawks, Bobcats and more are probably still ahead of them...just need some lotto luck.

As an aside, I disagree with the way the article was written...making it look like them not being in the mix for the big FAs this offseason was a bad thing. Saving the cap flexibility moving forwards is a good thing. They still need a few more years before they're going to make some noise anyways. I didn't love the Frye signing but oh well.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
The article was pretty terrible. Does this guy think it would have been a great idea to go dump a boatload of money into nuthead Lance Stephenson? Or Carlos Boozer? Or Pau Gasol? Really?

They don't have any stars right now but they've got guys like Oladipo, Payton, Gordon and even Tobias Harris that have tons of potential.

Right now Orlando needs to start developing those guys, see what they turn into, and look to keep flexibility in the future to bring in a big name via free agency or trade. But they aren't going to get a big name without those guys developing first.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Getting Stan the Man and adding a couple more young guys with potential was all this team really needed to do this offseason. This year is all about just getting a culture of winning put in place. They can worry about contending for a playoff spot next season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts