Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that in the legue history there wasn't a season with such a lack of superstar centers. The only serious center at the moment is Shaq (and he is struggling with injuries). Yao is still not even close and I think that it's not fair that Shaq is not starting the All-Star. Many teams are struggling in the paint (Toronto for instance). I would tell them to turn to probably the best center in Europe at the moment: Nikola Vujcic. His team is one of the strongest in Europe and he is their key player. He's not too old (25) and his main quality is versatility. He can play in the paint, he can shoot from the outside. He's a bit of Raef LaFrentz. If Manu, Jaric, Giricek and Hedo suceeded on positions that are covered with a lot of players I don't see why Vujcic wouldn't (the only problem could be perhaps a weaker defense). And in the upcoming draft is coming a great young center Kosta Perovic. He's one of the key players in his team already although he's only 18. And I would warn teams not to pick Podkolzine in the draft because his only quality is his size and he's really lacking talent to play this sport on the big stage.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Actually, the talent at center is better than it was for a handful of years. Even though Ming is just getting started, Brad Miller isn't a superstar, Magloire's numbers aren't stunning, and llgauskas and Curry have huge holes in their games, those 5 guys are probably better collectively than the six best centers after O'Neal 2-3 years ago. I have more hope for the position than I once did.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
In any sane world, Jonathon Bender would be a post player.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
there's TONS of room for improvement but i don't mind the current crop. there's a lof of size out there, it's just that most of the dominant scoring size in the nba comes from the power forward position. Dampier is a very good centre and would have been Shaq's AS game backup were he playing in recent years.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I agree...

The greatest era for centers imo was when we had Ewing, Hakeem, Admiral, Young Shaq, Young Alonzo. Those 5 where league leaders aswell as team leaders.

Today we see a lot of "hard working" centers who are there to be "bangers" instead of actually being dominant.

Yao Ming is on his way to dominating, but Shaq is in his way out. Whos next after that? Vlade is also outwards, Brad Miller is talented but no where near the same level as last generation's centers.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
HMm... I wonder if we will ever see traditional type centers again.

I think the trend has changed and the game has evolved. If we look at today's new wave of talent that are coming to the NBA, especially players that stand 6'10" or above. These players have more finesse in their games than power. I'm not saying they don't have power games... but look at the typical body of today's young talented players. They're long, lean, and athletic. Which is more suitable to player on the wing rather than to bang on the post.

And what funny is, most of today's SF are taller than the PFs or even the Cs

To see the big picture, look at this list of players:

talented finesse players:
Kevin Garnett 6'11" PF/SF and some Center
Darius Miles 6'10" SF/SG
Jonathan Bender 7'0" PF/SF
Rashard Lewis 6'10" SF
Chris Bosh 6'10" C/PF (more finesse in his game)
Jared Jeffries 6'11" SF/PF
Eddie Griffin 6'10" SF
Lamar Odom 6'10" This guy can play the 1,2,3, and 4.
Rasheed Wallace 6'11" PF/SF/C
(It's so sad to see Rasheed decide to play in the perimeter, he's such a talented post player)

Today's post players:
Stromile Swift 6'9" C/PF
Zach Randolph 6'9" PF
Ben Wallace 6'8" C
Brian Grant 6'8" C
Corliss Williamson 6'7" PF
Elton Brand PF 6'8" PF
Marcus Fizer PF 6'7" PF
Carlos Boozer PF 6'8" PF
...and other "tweeners"

And there are some other talented players that went undrafted because their lack of size.

So, I think the game has changed. The tallest player is not the one who has to stand on the post anymore. I think Michael Jordan has a big influence on why these tall kids play like guards. Everybody wants to be like Mike. nobody wants to be Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, or Mourning. And now a lot of prep-to-pros are trying to become the next KG, the leading man of this new wave of talent. so, we'll probably not going to see a lot of traditional C in the future. Only Shaq and TD belongs to the likes of Hakeem and co.

However, I agree with Jericho that the talent at C is getting better. Well not actually C but a legit post player with size that at least have the potential to be one of the most dominant in their era. These are my picks:

Jermaine O'Neal (6'11" PF/C) - well, he's still improving. I do believe that he can be better than Ewing. It's just that O'Neal is a PF and not as big and as not as tall as Ewing. But JO is very very good.

Amare Stoudemire (6'10" PF) - In his second year in the league, he is already one of the most intimidating post player. He really reminds me of Shawn Kemp in his prime. But Amare is going to be better than Shawn Kemp.

Eddy Curry (6'10" C) - If we're talking about Eddy, it always starts with "If". If he ever figure it out, If he ever work his butt, If he has the desire. If he can do it night-in night-out, no doubt he'll be the best offensive C since Shaq.

Nene (6'10" PF/C) - Not much of a scorer yet. But, with his size and athleticism, he's going to be tough matchup for opposing C. And he's still developing his game. I see 18 ppg, 9rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.5 bpg in this kid.

Tyson Chandler (7'1" PF/C) - His strength is his defense. He hustles. He hasn't develop a go-to move yet; but, he's willing to bang in the post. I think in his prime he'll be a force on Defense like Ben Wallace. But, unlike Wallace, he'll be able to score 17 - 20 a game.

Kwame Brown (6'11" PF/C) - From how he's been performing for the last 10 games this season, Kwame prove that he's not a bust. I haven't got the chance to see a lot of his game; but, looking at his stats, I think we have plenty to look forward from this guy.

Jamaal Magloire (6'11" C) - Coming out of college, He's not a big prospect like all the guys above. But, he's very solid. He does what every C should do: block some shots, grab rebounds, and score in the low post. He's not going to be great, but he's going to be one of the best Center of his time. His All-Star selection is controversial, but he's a top 5 Center and the East needs a Center. yes, he deserve it more than Z.

NOTE: I don't include young European player because I am yet to see a young Euro play in the NBA who fully commits to play with his back to the basket and very good. There are only two guys I have in my mind, Pau Gasol and probably Darko Milicic. But, from what I've heard, Gasol is actually a SF. And Milicic, I've never seen him play.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RSP83</b>!

Today's post players:
Stromile Swift 6'9" C/PF
Zach Randolph 6'9" PF
Ben Wallace 6'8" C
Brian Grant 6'8" C
Corliss Williamson 6'7" PF
Elton Brand PF 6'8" PF
Marcus Fizer PF 6'7" PF
Carlos Boozer PF 6'8" PF
...and other "tweeners"
Why isn't Shaq or Duncan on this post player list?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts