Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON - Believe it or not, there are players on the Celts who can be unselfish to a fault.

That's why Gary Payton appointed himself Raef LaFrentz' nag over the last two days.

``Gary's huge - he made a concentrated effort to get the ball to Raef,'' Celtics coach Doc Rivers said after last night's 116-108 win over Washington.

``He leaned into Raef (during Monday's practice), and (yesterday) in shootaround, too, telling him to shoot the ball.''

And, voila, the floor parted like the Red Sea as a result of LaFrentz' 21-point, 8-of-13, three-trey performance.

LaFrentz averaged only 11.2 points per game over the last five. He had 14 Sunday against the 76ers.

``The way we played the other night (against Philadelphia) and (that) he didn't shoot wasn't acceptable,'' Payton said. ``He's the best shooter on our team, and when he doesn't take that shot, they pack it in.

``He's an unselfish player. He wants to pass. But we need him to take shots to open up opportunities. Today he did that.''
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=76751

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
His shots were going in with ease. Although I would be more pleased to see him in the paint, it's refreshing when he can hit a big three while Washington is making a run.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Reaf was huge last night, in every way possible. He was doing everything out there.

But yeah, I've noticed what Gary's saying, he likes to pass, even when he has a open shot. He's a very good shooter to pass up easy oppertunities.

He also has a very nice touch around the basket. He's very quick, never pulls the ball below his waste and just kisses it off the class. Takes him less than a second to get an easy two. And most of the time he's always open.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
It's a big complement coming from Gary to say Raef is the best shooter on the team...I think it could be true too because although we have other good shooters they tend to be streaky...Raef is pretty consistent...he should get an unsung hero award this season, because he's quietly been a reliable guy on this team every game all season long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts