Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill Shaikin, From Times Staff and Wire Reports
April 12, 2006

The Lakers are on the verge of becoming the first NBA franchise to own a team in the NBA Development League, with the possibility that minor league games could precede some Laker home games next season at Staples Center.

Ownership would let the Lakers control who coaches and who plays on their minor league team, much as a Major League Baseball team controls personnel on its minor league affiliates. D-League teams select their coaches and players, with NBA franchises given the option to send first- or second-year players to a designated D-League team.

The Lakers have received tentative approval from the NBA Board of Governors, D-League President Phil Evans said Tuesday. NBA Commissioner David Stern said he anticipated the announcement of a Los Angeles team at next week's owners' meetings.

The D-League season starts in November. For its first season, Evans said, the Laker affiliate probably would play its 25 home games at Staples Center, preceding Laker games.

"Beyond that, they would be looking to move into another facility," he said.

With the D-League establishing a California core, one option could be Ontario. Dana Warg, AEG senior vice president, said an arena there is scheduled to open in 2008 and would be suitable for a D-League team.

At a news conference in Anaheim, Evans announced that a D-League expansion team would play in the Anaheim Convention Center arena and receive players from the Clippers. The first game is tentatively scheduled Nov. 25, against the new Los Angeles team.

Roy Englebrecht, part of a six-member Anaheim ownership group that paid the $300,000 franchise fee, said the team's nickname and coach have not been decided.

The city of Anaheim can terminate the lease of the D-League team at the request of an NBA franchise moving into the Arrowhead Pond. Stern, speaking on a conference call, said the D-League's presence in Anaheim would not hamper the city's pursuit of an NBA franchise.

"The D-League will give people in Orange County an opportunity to express their support for the sport of basketball," Stern said. "It can only be positive. There's no negative impact whatsoever."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...,1,6781560.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Put the team in Long Beach, not Ontario.

So the Clippers would have a team in Anaheim and the Lakers in Ontario huh?

Not bad. I'm excited.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I'd be happy if the team was in Ontario. Very close to home.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Sean said:
Hey, I'd be happy if the team was in Ontario. Very close to home.
Damn you Sean, I actually live in Los Angeles. It'd be a drive for me. :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how you feel. We gotta deive 30+ miles to Staples and even longer to the LBC. Anaheim convention center is about 25 miles from Pomona, although the Pond is a bit closer. Regardless of where they play, I might be able to at least afford the tickets to some of these games.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
NOODLESTYLE said:
So Von Wafer is going to be in Ontario next season? :banana:
Probably in '07-08. They may play in the Staples in '06-07, before Laker games.

·
Registered
641 Posts
He won't be eligible in 07-08. I'd rather see Von Wafer get more time in the D-League tho so he gets more time and recognize how to be an effective scorer in an offense. I also wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Bynum in the D-League as well. He can polish his post up game a lot more there.
HKF said:
Probably in '07-08. They may play in the Staples in '06-07, before Laker games.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,412 Posts
Nice! Glad to see we're ahead of the game on this one. :clap:

An actual minor league system would be great for the NBA.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Damn, I skimmed it thinking they were talking about Ontario, as in the province in Canada, I was excited that I'd get to see more than one "Lakers" game a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.