Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously game threads arent happening these days so I thought we could combine thoughts/gripes/analysis to one general thread.

So holy shit the Lakers have the best record in the entire NBA over the last 10 games....8-2

Lakers have already beat last seasons 18wins. We are at 19 wins with 34 games left to go! Six games back of the 8th seed.

After a brital schedule in December and then not knowing how to win without Lonzo they have really hit a stride.

Ingram is now solidly improving
Lonzo's shot isnt totally horrendous.
Randle is still a bull in a China shop but producing very well when engaged
The Bald Mamba Caruso should take ALL of Ennis's minutes.
Clarkson is in discussion for 6th man of the year
King Kuz, the Celtic Killer, is the steal of the draft by FAR and certainly in discussion for ROY. This kid has got the moves, the shot, and the mindset...Im really excited about him.
Josh Hart is a baller and great on D

Dumping Randle and Clarkson to get cap-space for two max FA isnt as enticing these days with them and the team playing so well. They should stay at least until the end of the year and then decide what choices the Lakers have.

I dont want Lebron within 1000 miles of this team. Dont need his drama, his posse, his ego, and his cap space eating contract.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Free Throw's.....we need a free throws guru....at least two more wins if we shoot just the league average...I cant believe how bad they are at free throws

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
Agree with most of your points, save the Lebron discussion for the offseason.

I'll add one. Luke has really come into his own as a coach as well. Not just because we're winning. Using a lot of the players better, running better sets, out of bounds plays. With the exception of Ennis still getting playing time, the rotations have been MUCH better. Very pleased with his progress as a coach. I have to remind myself that he's relatively new at this as well, and has a team full of <24 year olds.

Can't help but think something was coming from up top regarding Randle in particular but also the way KCP was being treated (like he was special). It's as if Luke finally went to Maginca and said if I can't play my best guys, I'm going to lose this locker room and they finally said ok. Idk, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Anyway, excited about the team. With Lonzo in the line-up, I at least feel like we have a chance against most teams, and the wins don't feel like flukes. We have been winning without him, but still really need him, IMO.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Lost in all of this is that KCP has been objectively pretty bad on both sides of the ball. He was supposed to be the veteran coming in to give this team consistency and leadership on the wing. Instead, he has cost himself a lot of free agent money.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lost in all of this is that KCP has been objectively pretty bad on both sides of the ball. He was supposed to be the veteran coming in to give this team consistency and leadership on the wing. Instead, he has cost himself a lot of free agent money.
Last month he was HORRIBLE and for some reason thought he should shoot it a ton...Im certainly not in love with the guy but he was dealing with going to jail and not allowed to travel with the team because of his previous DUI conviction. His bad play was at that time. Since then he has improved.

I think he solid on defense and effort...no?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with most of your points, save the Lebron discussion for the offseason.

I'll add one. Luke has really come into his own as a coach as well. Not just because we're winning. Using a lot of the players better, running better sets, out of bounds plays. With the exception of Ennis still getting playing time, the rotations have been MUCH better. Very pleased with his progress as a coach. I have to remind myself that he's relatively new at this as well, and has a team full of <24 year olds.

Can't help but think something was coming from up top regarding Randle in particular but also the way KCP was being treated (like he was special). It's as if Luke finally went to Maginca and said if I can't play my best guys, I'm going to lose this locker room and they finally said ok. Idk, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Anyway, excited about the team. With Lonzo in the line-up, I at least feel like we have a chance against most teams, and the wins don't feel like flukes. We have been winning without him, but still really need him, IMO.
I agree with you.

I think a lot of the improvement can just be getting familiar with each other and learning what to do on both sides of the ball until it becomes instinctual. FWIW on social media they all really seem to like each other, good sense of "all for one".

I really think they can compete with any team these days. When they play "right" they are damn tough to beat. Great ball movement and hustle these days on defense.

This last Raptors game I will give them a break. They couldnt make wide open shots. Long flight and a funky starting time. Hope they get back in the groove next game.

The +/- for ALL players when Ennis is on the court vs Caruso is night and day. Sorry Ennis, I know you are trying, but you suck ass. Caruso keeps that uptempo pace we want when Lonzo is in there. Smart player.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
that big losing streak (+ Lavar's big mouth) had the media being pretty tiresome - let's see, they're playing GSWx2, POR,OKCx2, Minnesota, and Houston and at any time throughout are missing 2-3 starters - were they supposed to win those games? the only two real chances they had in that run were Memphis and Charlotte (and in the Memphis game they were missing Ball and Lopez)

the defense is actually starting to look decent

early in the season I told my Boston buddy that I would be pretty content if Lonzo were to average a Darrell Walker 'triple double', which he more or less is

shooting woes continue

what's happened to Zu?

my wife thinks Caruso's facial hair is disgusting, her words "who is that ugly mother fucker?"

Kuzma!!!!

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I think he solid on defense and effort...no?
Not in the games I've seen, but then again I've probably only watched maybe 7-to-10 Lakers games this year. They haven't been near the top of my League Pass rankings since the very beginning of the season.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My view on signing Lebron:

It would be like when the Angels signed Albert Pujols on already the backend of his career to that insane amount of money/time...and then bit them in the ass because nobody beats father time.

I dont think Lebrons skills will deteriorate that quickly...but that would be a huge concern for me

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that big losing streak (+ Lavar's big mouth) had the media being pretty tiresome - let's see, they're playing GSWx2, POR,OKCx2, Minnesota, and Houston and at any time throughout are missing 2-3 starters - were they supposed to win those games? the only two real chances they had in that run were Memphis and Charlotte (and in the Memphis game they were missing Ball and Lopez)

the defense is actually starting to look decent

early in the season I told my Boston buddy that I would be pretty content if Lonzo were to average a Darrell Walker 'triple double', which he more or less is

shooting woes continue

what's happened to Zu?

my wife thinks Caruso's facial hair is disgusting, her words "who is that ugly mother fucker?"

Kuzma!!!!
Zu...seriously...wtf....he went from having promise to ZERO real quick.
Lakers made him build up muscle in the offseason and some were saying thats what made him lose quickness....but shit...its like he forgot how to play the game.

Im pretty sure Caruso moonlights as a middle school science teacher somewhere... lol

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1-0 in the post Ennis starting era

Josh Hart

Josh Hart DGAF

Josh Hart will take your ball

Josh Hart will strongarm his way to the hoop

Josh Hart will lock down anyone you ask

Josh Hart will get that rebound

Josh Hart is a dedicated pro

Go Lakers

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW....So I'm pretty sure the Lakers had a perfect draft. Magic & Pelinka hit a Grand Slam.

Lonzo (you can debate for Tatum)
Kuzma (Top 5? 3?!? in redraft)
Traded 28th pick Tony Bradley (doing nothing) for 30th (starter/Hart) and 42nd pick
Hart (Playing WELL above being picked 30th)
Thomas Bryant 42nd pick averaging 21/12 in the G-league

Then we pick up Caruso, undrafted in 2016...see something in him EARLY to give him a 2way contract...and now he is the 2nd best true PG on the team and is solid for a first-year player.

Pretty damn impressive

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
BTW....So I'm pretty sure the Lakers had a perfect draft. Magic & Pelinka hit a Grand Slam.

Lonzo (you can debate for Tatum)
Kuzma (Top 5? 3?!? in redraft)
Traded 28th pick Tony Bradley (doing nothing) for 30th (starter/Hart) and 42nd pick
Hart (Playing WELL above being picked 30th)
Thomas Bryant 42nd pick averaging 21/12 in the G-league

Then we pick up Caruso, undrafted in 2016...see something in him EARLY to give him a 2way contract...and now he is the 2nd best true PG on the team and is solid for a first-year player.

Pretty damn impressive
Hadn't really thought about their draft all together like this. This front office actually did a fantastic job in their first draft (depending on what you think of Lonzo, I guess).

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hadn't really thought about their draft all together like this. This front office actually did a fantastic job in their first draft (depending on what you think of Lonzo, I guess).
Absolutely, now with Hart getting more playing time he just keeps on showing that he deserves the minutes. His defense is just awesome no matter who you have him defend. His "re-draft stock" is certainly continuing to rise....shit, another solid week or two and he would be inside/close to a top 10 draft pick. Maybe thats a little optimistic but looking now at the draft results not many names stick out that are doing better than him when given playing time.

Dennis Smith, and Donovan Mitchell were picked 9th and 13th...NO team was going to pick them in the top 2 so those gems were really never available for the Lakers to ponder taking.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Absolutely, now with Hart getting more playing time he just keeps on showing that he deserves the minutes. His defense is just awesome no matter who you have him defend. His "re-draft stock" is certainly continuing to rise....shit, another solid week or two and he would be inside/close to a top 10 draft pick. Maybe thats a little optimistic but looking now at the draft results not many names stick out that are doing better than him when given playing time.

Dennis Smith, and Donovan Mitchell were picked 9th and 13th...NO team was going to pick them in the top 2 so those gems were really never available for the Lakers to ponder taking.
He might be close to top 10 in terms of current (read: recent) production, but there's no way if they did the draft again over all-star weeked that Hart would be a top 15 pick. Way too much talent still in that draft class.

Guys like Fultz, Isaac, Monk, and Josh Jackson might not have shown much so far this season..... but they would all still get picked ahead of Hart. This looks like a loaded (and deep) draft class.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
don't forget Hart was a 4 year kid so he's ahead of a lot of the more talented guys on the learning curve and behind many of them on the 'potential' curve

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hart is certainly a more polished product coming out of college...and the dude is freaking RIPPED. He pushes around player bigger than him routinely. Probably physically strongest guard in the leauge already.

THREE STARTS= THREE DOUBLE/DOUBLE GAMES!!!

Josh Hart now with his third double/double game in a row with crazy shooting percentages. Since starting he has not shown a single reason to put him back on the bench. Im really loving every aspect of his game. So efficient.

Lonzo and Hart starting backcourt...I say at least try it out for a week or two. Sorry KCP.
15 rebound a game average from the backcourt?!? THATS how you start fast break transition points.

Keep Hart in the starting lineup!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12-4 since Jan 7th...9 game losing streak right before that
Only behind the Rockets in W/L since that time
8 home wins in a row

This team is realizing what it can become, no hero ball needed, amazing group effort.

Randle is BEASTING, what a turnaround since the beginning of the season.

Hart with another solid game: 10/8/5
Its been a while since Ive been so excited about watching someone play defense. The guy is on a mission.

Kuzma seems to be getting past the rookie wall.

So many good things happening!

THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL AND IT ISNT A TRAIN!!!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PLAYOFFS???

Currently 5.5 back of the Pelicans with the Clippers & Utah between us and them.

Pelicans have been going downhill since Boogie injury
Clippers ditched Blake, Gallinari is back, certainly possible to catch them I would think
Utah has been playing well. 8-2 in last 10. Traded away Hood

We gonna make it???

1 - 20 of 54 Posts