Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF is with all the role players of Lakers? Whenever they made a decent play, they acted like they ar the star of the team. What's with Chris Mihm(sp?) pathetic look after he made the 3 point play? Do they even care about winning anymore? What a losing team!

·
Registered
583 Posts
John said:
WTF is with all the role players of Lakers? Whenever they made a decent play, they acted like they ar the star of the team. What's with Chris Mihm(sp?) pathetic look after he made the 3 point play? Do they even care about winning anymore? What a losing team!
Lol true, but they are allowed to make these kinda expressions. Superstars aren't the only ones to do that. :banana:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm glad to see that everyone is coming to realize that it's takes a TEAM to win. No one player can do it by themselves, they need other players capable of steping up. That's why it's smarter to get a bunch of players who can fill specific roles. See the Pistons of last year, they all had players who could play a certain role. I'm sure the Lakers will redo their whole team and be back next year. David Stern can't stand to see the darlings of his league look this bad.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
there are some positive things the lakers have found out about some role players. I think they have found two talented reserve forwards in Cook and Jones. Jones has impressed me. Do you guys know were Tyson Chandler went to school? Yea I know he says he's returning to chicago. But i am predicting an early possibility of LA. But what do you all think of a frontline of Chandler, Wilcox and Odom. With say Kobe and Ray Felton or Deron Williams in the backcourt.

Or they could trade down and get two 1st rounders later in the draft. Anyone object to Petro, and stinson. stinson has great court vision, when he comes out (he's 22 could be this year) he will be a good point guard in the league.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I bet Shaq could have taken this team sans Kobe to the playoffs

·
Registered
394 Posts
nbanoitall said:
there are some positive things the lakers have found out about some role players. I think they have found two talented reserve forwards in Cook and Jones. Jones has impressed me. Do you guys know were Tyson Chandler went to school? Yea I know he says he's returning to chicago. But i am predicting an early possibility of LA. But what do you all think of a frontline of Chandler, Wilcox and Odom. With say Kobe and Ray Felton or Deron Williams in the backcourt.

Or they could trade down and get two 1st rounders later in the draft. Anyone object to Petro, and stinson. stinson has great court vision, when he comes out (he's 22 could be this year) he will be a good point guard in the league.
Have you been watching The Laker games? Cook can go hot and cold at any time and will only shoot 3 pointers. The Lakers need him to play inside more, but he can't bang with the big boys. That's why he's been sitting on the bench more than playing. Cook would be a better compilment to Shaq because he could make his man go out on him and that would give more room for Shaq to do his thing down low. Jumaine Jones is a good player, but he is one of 6 SF on the team, which means less playing time and with Devon George now healthy and playing better, Jones will play even less.

I don't know how The Lakers can get Chandler when they are over the salary cap and they have no player to trade that would interest Chicago except Kobe.

The draft will help The Lakers but in the long term, unless The Lakers get very lucky and get one of the top 3 picks. I wouldn't put too much on a rookie guard or big man to immediately put The Lakers back in the playoffs. Unless there is another Duncan, or Shaq in the draft.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i hate caron butler with a passion

whenever he makes any sort of dunk he starts to go crazy n roar and shake his head like hes like a freakin lion.

with his talent he should be a much better player but hes not... n its just really ugly n annoying..

Reactions: duncan2k5

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
tatahbenitez said:
Have you been watching The Laker games? Cook can go hot and cold at any time and will only shoot 3 pointers. The Lakers need him to play inside more, but he can't bang with the big boys. That's why he's been sitting on the bench more than playing.
I agree.
Cook had a few solid games at the start of the year, which really was a surprise. Live by the 3, die by the 3, that's his playing philosophy. He is basically a SG stuck in a PF body. I'd keep him around for his range, but it's no wonder he's on the bench now, he really isn't that good.

Jumaine Jones is a good player, but he is one of 6 SF on the team, which means less playing time and with Devon George now healthy and playing better, Jones will play even less.
You're right again, he's a solid player. But there's just way too many SFs on the damn team now. Luke needs to go. Maybe Butler too, as he probably has the highest trade value of the SFs on the team.

I don't know how The Lakers can get Chandler when they are over the salary cap and they have no player to trade that would interest Chicago except Kobe.

The draft will help The Lakers but in the long term, unless The Lakers get very lucky and get one of the top 3 picks. I wouldn't put too much on a rookie guard or big man to immediately put The Lakers back in the playoffs. Unless there is another Duncan, or Shaq in the draft.
Right now, I can only hope for a great draft for the team. And hopefully, Boozer or something over by next year too.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
tatahbenitez said:
Have you been watching The Laker games? Cook can go hot and cold at any time and will only shoot 3 pointers. .
i know the team is in a slump, and wont make the playoffs, but cut the team a break. cut cook a break. these numbers dont lie.
rookie year 3pt FG 0-5 0%
2nd yr 74-185 40%.

boston chanted wal....ter. Lakers need to be chanting Bri...an. The guy found his niche in the league. He has a ton more value than last year. The reason Chandler comes to LA would be to come home, and for a big pay day. Youd have to send the bulls some kind of package, likely with future 1st rounders. And you gotta get salaries to match.

I just dont think Lamar Odom is enough support for bryant. The team needs retooled.

Anyways why compare the Kobe Shaq playoff thing. Kobe costs 1/2 as much as shaq and is a lot younger. The Lakers werent going to win another championship and didnt want to give shaq another extension. With Kobe and Shaq's contracts on the books the lakers would already be way over the cap. Then Karl is injured at the time and considering retirement on top of that. The Lakers were at a crossroads. They just need to right the ship this summer. Stupid espn anaylsts writing about trading kobe. people blow **** up way too much.

Dont blame kobe, blame the salary cap.

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
John, what's happening with you. You are having Laker Phobia. Stop making these Lakers thread, you damn Knicker you! :mad:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
open mike said:
i hate caron butler with a passion

whenever he makes any sort of dunk he starts to go crazy n roar and shake his head like hes like a freakin lion.

with his talent he should be a much better player but hes not... n its just really ugly n annoying..

LOLOL. funny stuff!!! you are so right. like the dunk he did against the wolves when they were down by like 13 with 2 minutes to go. he went nuts for no reason. a simple dunk and he lost it. do that when it counts scrub. LOOLOOLOL. everytime i look at that "crazy n roar and shake his head like hes like a freakin lion" quote I laugh. thats then funnient thing i ever hear on here

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I disagree that Laker's role players suck. I think they have very good role players. If Kobe is the first go-to guy then even Lamar is a role-player (and he plays like one).

Lakers' biggest problem is chemistry and coaching. Last night against the Wolves, they were shooting like 23% 3pointer and this is not the first time that they shot themselves to death. They have guys who can penetrate and go inside but they just settle for jumpers ALL the time for some reasons. This part amazes me. Is Lakers one of the better 3pointer shooting teams???

I just don't think they know how to play as a Team. It looks like every time Kobe penetrates, he passes out and everybody just falls in love with their Threes.... I mean if you are Sonics/Suns, that's ok but I don't think Lakers' offense is that great yet.

Overall, poor coaching and lack of player movement because they rely on Kobe TOO much. I mean they don't have big guy (Shaq) anymore to draw double team for Kobe, so I don't understand why they still insist on relying Kobe that much. All the other players are just standing around..watching Kobe doing his stuff. This is no way to win games.

·
Pacman & Mamba
2,558 Posts
oh come on John be nice...this dreadfull season is almost over....no need to kick sand on a teams face when they're down

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It's a combination of the role players not being that good but also of team balance. One center, a PF in Brian Grant playing center, a SF in Lamar Odom playing PF, 4 other SFs filling in at whatever position they're called on to play on a given night, Kobe essentially running point. Brian Cook and Chucky Atkins both thinking the 3-point line has electric current running through it and therefore refuse to cross it. Vlade out the whole year, Mitch banking on Malone to come back only to have him retire, an idiot coach who forces the team to start learning the triangle in the middle of the season and forgets to practice defense. And last but not least, the Tierre Brown factor. Too much to overcome.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
This is the bad part about being a Lakers fan. Nobody can think long term. That's why the Knicks are complete crap for many years with no way of getting out of it. I pray that the outside forces don't pressure Jerry and Mitch to bury this team long term for the sake of getting the buzz back into Staples.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
-D! said:
This is the bad part about being a Lakers fan. Nobody can think long term. That's why the Knicks are complete crap for many years with no way of getting out of it. I pray that the outside forces don't pressure Jerry and Mitch to bury this team long term for the sake of getting the buzz back into Staples.
I agree. I'd rather miss the playoffs the few years and have a legitimate chance at a title than make a bunch of Laydenesque trades that'd barely keep our noses above water but put us in salary cap hell for next decade. It's one thing I'm glad about what happened this season, not making desperation trades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts