Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Because the guys they've honored have all just been "anybody" right? Get out of here. Kareem absolutely deserves to have a statue outside of Staples.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
he'll just never coach for them...

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
KAJ was upset about this or something like it wasn't he? Seems like I heard something about him being ill at the Lakers over some perceived slight.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
like he never got a statue? he's always kind of been a thin skinned prickly bastard - going all the way back to UCLA and Milwaukee - I think a lot of his current discontent has to do with his inability to get into serious coaching but if it werent this it would be something eles and anyway part of his challenge trying to get coaching gigs is that he's burnt lots of bridges on his way - I mean you have to love the Captain but from everything Ive ever read about him he's kind of a dick

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm curious about this too. Magic mentioned on the air a few years ago that Kareem burned a lot of bridges, but I've never heard anyone explain what he actually did to piss everybody off.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
What has he done that makes him a dick?
He punched a player, who happened to be a rookie playing his first ever game in the NBA, after he got butt hurt over a elbow shot or something, and broke his jaw, while also in the process breaking his hand and as a result taking him out of action for 2 months (although if that didn't happen, he would've gotten suspended by the NBA anyways).

It's been said that he can be a classy guy at times, but he isn't a very good people person. Often times when fans cheer him when he's at events, he won't acknowledge them, not even a smile and thank you. I've also heard stories about people wanting a autograph or picture with Kareem not getting it because Kareem ignored the request or said no, claiming "I don't do autographs or pictures".

I don't necessarily think that part makes him a dick, just more like a guy who's annoyed by stuff like this, but many say he can be very rude and have said that he isn't a kind person at all unless he wants to be or has no choice.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
he was known for being aloof and arrogant in general, stand offish with fans and disdainful of the press

here's a good example of his attitude issues: he bitched that Jerry West's statue came first, complaining to the press: "I don't understand it. It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted," Abdul-Jabbar said. "I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

slighted? because the dynasty builder/logo who was the face of the Lakers before he got there and one of the all time great executives building multiple dynasties for the team got his stature first? and this despite team assurances that he would get his statue in due time? - right there is a pretty good example of dick material

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
He punched a player, who happened to be a rookie playing his first ever game in the NBA, after he got butt hurt over a elbow shot or something, and broke his jaw, while also in the process breaking his hand and as a result taking him out of action for 2 months (although if that didn't happen, he would've gotten suspended by the NBA anyways).

It's been said that he can be a classy guy at times, but he isn't a very good people person. Often times when fans cheer him when he's at events, he won't acknowledge them, not even a smile and thank you. I've also heard stories about people wanting a autograph or picture with Kareem not getting it because Kareem ignored the request or said no, claiming "I don't do autographs or pictures".
check out the Jeff Ament tune Sweet Lew, he idolized him from the bruins on but got the cold shoulder at a celebrity event - Jabbar claims it's shyness - maybe so this kind of stuff doesnt help him out

I don't necessarily think that part makes him a dick, just more like a guy who's annoyed by stuff like this, but many say he can be very rude and have said that he isn't a kind person at all unless he wants to be or has no choice.
that was Kent Benson - he also broke his hand a second time hitting a stanchion after a call he didnt like - I agree that this doesnt make him a dick and the NBA in the 70s was a lot more punchy in general but I wouldnt call anger issues a positive trait either - I beleive that was the same season as the Rudy/Kermit incident

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
{niether here nor there but as an aside regarding his personality: he didnt like scrapping with gritty hustle guys like Cowens and Walton - his disdain for this kind of play and player directly precipitated the action leading to the Punch as it was originally an altercation between Kareem and Kevin Kunnert that sparked the event, Washington stepped up to Kunnert after he and Jabbar tusselled, Washington punched Kunnert, Kareem pulled Kunnert away, Rudy ran up behind Kermit to try to break things up, Kermit saw motion and acted instinctively}

·
Registered
487 Posts
About damn time. Yea Kareem might be a ninny but the dude battled cancer for the past few years. In the world of sports, its unacceptable that arguably the greatest sports franchise ever (lakers) has taken their sweet time to make a statue of one of sport's greatest players ever. Kareem was facing death before seeing himself become immortalized in bronze or whatever the hell they use for statues /NBA problems

What has he done that makes him a dick?
I'm curious about this too. Magic mentioned on the air a few years ago that Kareem burned a lot of bridges, but I've never heard anyone explain what he actually did to piss everybody off.
From the infamous REALGM board, posted by penbeast0:

Lew Alcindor came out of college and became a Muslim in a much more racially polarized America. He associated with some fo the more radical anti-American sects (think Al-Qaeda sympathizers but not actual Al Qaeda supporters), changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and had a group of these Muslims living in his house.

This group of Muslims were murdered en mass by another Black extremist group and Kareem was actually booed pretty consistently even in his home city to say nothing of the constant anti-Muslim, racist, or just pro-Christian taunting that exploded as the publicity got out. He responded by becoming extremely withdrawn from his teammates, particularly the white or openly Christian ones and asking to be traded away from Milwaukee to NY or LA.

He stayed a recluse (and still has this rep today) and avoided teammates until Magic pulled him into the whole team thing with his incandescent personality and the Lakers started playing up to their talent instead of consistently disappointing.

There can be various interpretations of the facts and Kareem's response to them but that's the basic story generally accepted

1 - 20 of 45 Posts