Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night, Lamar defeated Sam Houston 89-80 in a game that slowly but picked up late in the first half and into the second. The Cards started off extremely poorly, turning the ball over repeatedly and not shooting particularly well, while giving Sam Houston open looks and easy buckets. At one time, LU was down as much as 10 points.

Raymond Anthony pulled LU out of its funk late in the first half, drilling three consecutive three-point shots to draw the game even, and the Cards went into the half up 41-38.

Coming out in the second half, the Cardinals played five minutes of their best basketball of the year. They smothered the Bearkats defensively, made their shots (including two nice alley-oops for Teddy Davis) and were helped out by some truly awful coaching (IMHO) on the part of Sam Houston's coach. The Cards went on a 16-1 run to start the half, the Bearkats were clearly rattled, yet the coach never called a time out--something which I simply cannot understand. By the time the run was done (even after SHSU scored to break the 16-1 run, LU continued to pour it on, leading by as much as 21) the game was over.

Sam Houston tried to get back in the game, thanks to some brilliant shooting from Jason Stephenson (I think he ended up with 30) but it wasn't enough. Lamar got plus games from Jason Grant (13 pts, 13 boards, 5 blocks), Teddy Davis, and Raymond Anthony. Goodrich played well; Petteway started off slowly and didn't have his best game but still contributed. It is good also to see Jonathan Burnett start to play better off the bench--I think he's finally showing confidence in his surgically repaired knee and is showing some of the potential he displayed last year as a freshman.

Even though Sam Houston isn't supposed to be particularly competitive this year, it's good to see the Cards start off with a home win--you've got to "protect your house" in the Southland and any hopes the Cards have for a successful Southland season has to start with getting the job done at the Montagne Center. To Sam Houston's credit, they didn't look like a bottom feeder the way they played last night aside from the first five minutes of the second half. They shot well and didn't turn the ball over all that much over the course of the night. They did get outrebounded rather badly though during the game, not a particularly good sign for them given that I see this as one of LU's big weaknesses.

The Cards go on the road for their next two, it'll be interesting to see how they respond. They haven't played well on the road this year at all, but you could argue that they haven't played any opponent on the road yet this year that they'd be favored to beat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lamar team of 1970 or 1971

Can you tell me who played with Mike Oliver in 1969 to 1971? Who were the other Lamar players? :cool:

Sounds like this 2004 Lamar team has chance to be successful!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts