Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Star in the Making
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I dont like the way hes playing... he isnt shooting too much etc... BUT we are critisizing him too much....

The man is averagin 14 points, 9 boards and 5 assists... I would say thats pretty damn good.

If he can get his average to like 20, 9 and 5 that'll be great... but what am seeing so far is good... he isnt scoring that much, but he is getting boards... we dont have a good enough PG to get that much steals/assists and we do not have a good enough center to get alot of boards.... he is makin up for em both by gettin 5 assists, 2 steals and 10 boards a game.... He is 6'10 and he is 18th in the league in rebounds per game, 7th in steals per game....

I feel he should start shootin gmore like y'all are saying... but if he can get up to 20 ppg and Kobe does his usual... then we're good to go.... for next year.

·
VAUDEVILLE VILLAIN
8,828 Posts
but if he can get up to 20 ppg and Kobe does his usual
if kobe does his usual then there is no way that lamar can get 20 shots a game much less 20 points. kobe needs to stop shooting 40 shots a game. its ridiculous. how does this man sleep at night.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
ChemicalCutthroat said:
if kobe does his usual then there is no way that lamar can get 20 shots a game much less 20 points. kobe needs to stop shooting 40 shots a game. its ridiculous. how does this man sleep at night.
i have no problem w/ kobe shooting that much, his scoring is what keeps us alive in games, and i wouldnt have the responcibility of putting pts on the board on any1 other than kobes shoulders...cuz frankly who on this team can score on a consistant basis other than kobe

----until some1 steps up offensively, and actually wants the ball in their hands let alone being able to score it consistantly

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lamar is playing really well this year

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ChemicalCutthroat said:
hey the guys avergin 35 ppg, and is the only reason we are ever even in a game. and if someone else could step up and get ome buckets, kobe wouldnt have to shoot 40 shots. i mean, kobe trys to distribute the ball a lot in the 1st half, but no one else can score, so hes forced to take oer

·
heatseeker
7,066 Posts
ChemicalCutthroat said:

Your right how the hell can he sleep at night when he has a fine *** wife right next to him...:laugh:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
He isn't picking up the triangle quickly, Winters commented on this recently. He's also not forcing his offense when he needs to. He's not that good of a scorer but there's no reason he doesn't average 17 ppg in this offense, especially if he simply practices on his jump shot. The fact that his jump shot still is mediocre after all these years leads me to believe his work ethic isn't that good. Hitting jumpers is a basic part of being a perimeter NBA player. As is knowing when to shoot and when not to. Apparently Odom still doesn't know that he should be taking more shots than Brian Cook or Luke Walton.

Overall, if Odom doesn't learn the offense a good portion of the way through this season (let's say, ASB?) the Lakers will have to ship him out for an SF that can score, and ideally one that can defend better than him too. We'll have to find a facilitator in one of the guards; either Kobe does that again or Devin Green and Profit help with that. Which I don't look forward to.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I just think overall, he's not very competitive. He shies away from contact, he doesnt ever try to step up and take over and hes not a great defender. Kobe takes 30 shots a game cause he wants to win, and Lamar doesnt take any shots cause, he just doesnt have the will. one of the reasons why we suck is cause there is almost nobody thats as competitive as Kobe and who wants to win. Nobody is aggressive or consistent

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that lamar should just post up. He looks more confortable playing the post than hanging out in the corners. To me he isn't that smart of a player. He should know by now that he isn't a shooter so why the heck does he stand in the corners. They say he is a good passer and facilitator. That he looks to distribute the ball and get his teammates involve. But what I see is a player that is too scared to take a shot. I don't blame him either, he still hasn't improve his shooting skills even though he's been in the league for 5 years. He should hang around kobe in practice more often and see if something good comes from it.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
EHL said:
He isn't picking up the triangle quickly, Winters commented on this recently. He's also not forcing his offense when he needs to. He's not that good of a scorer but there's no reason he doesn't average 17 ppg in this offense, especially if he simply practices on his jump shot. The fact that his jump shot still is mediocre after all these years leads me to believe his work ethic isn't that good. Hitting jumpers is a basic part of being a perimeter NBA player. As is knowing when to shoot and when not to. Apparently Odom still doesn't know that he should be taking more shots than Brian Cook or Luke Walton.
Very well said. You notice that when Odom tries to be aggressive he is mostly driving which then he would either misses or causes a turnover during a shooting action because he did not read the defense right. He may not be completely mediocre at shooting but he is still not as good as he should be. The way to help that his to have someone set up a shot for him insted of him having to create his own shot while playing the point. You'll also notice that during Odom's bad games he is hesitant to score, but not because he is very unselfish but more because he does not know when to either score or to pass. Odom is not a point guard (and Hopfully Phil will realize this) - He is good at setting up people to score, but being awear of every aspect of the teams offense and the opositions defense and then acting accordingly is not a talent that he has or can learn anytime soon since that is realy more of a God given gift. Tex saw this and understood that the whole Point Forward thing with Odom should be scrapped.

What can be done

1. Move Odom to the power foward and have Walton at the Point forward.
Here Walton can controll the ball. Odom's shootong percantage and attempts will increase greatly since he now has somebody to set up shots for him consistantly.
The down side is that Odom is not strong enough to guard power forwards every night which can put him into foul trouble - putting a lot of pressure on Mihm.

2. Leave Odom where he is and put Walton at the 1 and kobe at the 2 or visa versa.
Here odom can still be at his natural position and won't have to take a beating every night. walton will most likely be controlling the offense so Odom will still get more shots.
The down side is that this is not a good defensive linup and also with this line-up, Walton at the guard spot, Phil will have to change the offense for it to work which will be hard since the the team has been learning the regualar triangle for two months now. Also we have inexperience PFs. Kwame Brown can hold his ground in the post but he is inconsistant at rebounding and has bad hands on offensive. Brian Cook can shoot and is a decent rebounder but he is not big enough to guard good PF constantly - inducing foul trouble. Andrew Bynum is a good block and has good defensive awearness but he is still raw on offense and he is still prone to make rookie mistakes which can be costly. So again unwanted pressure will be put on Mihm.

Any change that is made within the roster is still hampered by our inexperience bigs so the organization should stop hoping for the inprobable (Kwame and Odom learning the offense) and get what they need which brings me to plan 3.

3. Trade Odom (and a first round pick or scrub) for a good posting PF with decent defense or a SF that can play the PF good.
Seeing that Odom cannot run the offense or score when needed and that we have someone on the bench (Walton) who is better in both areas, Odom is practically useless. He must be traded. If they are able pull this off then our lineup will have Smush at the guard, Kobe still at the wing, Walton as the new facilitator, our new player as the forward, and Mihm at the center. The team will learn the offense better and faster because we now have to people an the court that know the triangle, also because we should now have a power forward that we never had - one that plays good D and can score in the post when we need him to. This will make the team enormously better.

The only thing that will keep them from being title contenders is the bench - which the 2007 cap room should help that(if we can resign some players)

My first idea of the offseason was to trade Odom but when they got kwame I thought that Odom will do well in the offense. That has not happen so the only other solution I see working is (Plan 3) to trade him.:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
if nothing works out

take it to the extreme

bring odom and kwame off the bench

and start mihm, cook, walton, kobe, and smush

wow that looks horrible

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
He just does not take the initiative

Blink4 said:
hey the guys avergin 35 ppg, and is the only reason we are ever even in a game. and if someone else could step up and get ome buckets, kobe wouldnt have to shoot 40 shots. i mean, kobe trys to distribute the ball a lot in the 1st half, but no one else can score, so hes forced to take oer
by jove, somebody gets it !! :banana: 10million dollars should get me more than what I see out of Odom. I have been a fan of his for a while but, I am sorry this is not cutting it. Worthy offerred to help him, Pippen tried to help him....what does he need?

I should see 20 and 8. He is 6'10" and we have nothing up front. When Kobe sees the offense falling apart, he works harder. When Odom's shot is off, why not drive the baseline?? or post up?? Two years ago Tex Winter said that Payton could post up in the triangle, so why doesn't Odom.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Re: He just does not take the initiative

The One, Walton would be superb as a point forward in this offense, he has proven that many times. It's just that he's so unathletic, that his defense suffers. If there was some way to make him a quicker player....he'd be a real asset, even with his mediocre jump shot.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
The One said:
Very well said. You notice that when Odom tries to be aggressive he is mostly driving which then he would either misses or causes a turnover during a shooting action because he did not read the defense right. He may not be completely mediocre at shooting but he is still not as good as he should be. The way to help that his to have someone set up a shot for him insted of him having to create his own shot while playing the point. You'll also notice that during Odom's bad games he is hesitant to score, but not because he is very unselfish but more because he does not know when to either score or to pass. Odom is not a point guard (and Hopfully Phil will realize this) - He is good at setting up people to score, but being awear of every aspect of the teams offense and the opositions defense and then acting accordingly is not a talent that he has or can learn anytime soon since that is realy more of a God given gift. Tex saw this and understood that the whole Point Forward thing with Odom should be scrapped.

What can be done

Here Walton can controll the ball. Odom's shootong percantage and attempts will increase greatly since he now has somebody to set up shots for him consistantly.
The down side is that Odom is not strong enough to guard power forwards every night which can put him into foul trouble - putting a lot of pressure on Mihm.

2. Leave Odom where he is and put Walton at the 1 and kobe at the 2 or visa versa.
Here odom can still be at his natural position and won't have to take a beating every night. walton will most likely be controlling the offense so Odom will still get more shots.
The down side is that this is not a good defensive linup and also with this line-up, Walton at the guard spot, Phil will have to change the offense for it to work which will be hard since the the team has been learning the regualar triangle for two months now. Also we have inexperience PFs. Kwame Brown can hold his ground in the post but he is inconsistant at rebounding and has bad hands on offensive. Brian Cook can shoot and is a decent rebounder but he is not big enough to guard good PF constantly - inducing foul trouble. Andrew Bynum is a good block and has good defensive awearness but he is still raw on offense and he is still prone to make rookie mistakes which can be costly. So again unwanted pressure will be put on Mihm.

Any change that is made within the roster is still hampered by our inexperience bigs so the organization should stop hoping for the inprobable (Kwame and Odom learning the offense) and get what they need which brings me to plan 3.

3. Trade Odom (and a first round pick or scrub) for a good posting PF with decent defense or a SF that can play the PF good.
Seeing that Odom cannot run the offense or score when needed and that we have someone on the bench (Walton) who is better in both areas, Odom is practically useless. He must be traded. If they are able pull this off then our lineup will have Smush at the guard, Kobe still at the wing, Walton as the new facilitator, our new player as the forward, and Mihm at the center. The team will learn the offense better and faster because we now have to people an the court that know the triangle, also because we should now have a power forward that we never had - one that plays good D and can score in the post when we need him to. This will make the team enormously better.

The only thing that will keep them from being title contenders is the bench - which the 2007 cap room should help that(if we can resign some players)

My first idea of the offseason was to trade Odom but when they got kwame I thought that Odom will do well in the offense. That has not happen so the only other solution I see working is (Plan 3) to trade him.:boohoo:
Im down to give Luke a chance. Great analysis!! Repped.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
The One said:

What can be done

This is a great post. You really thought these things through. I worry about having Walton start. From what I have seen, he does not have uncanny court vision. Better than Odom of course, but nothing close to a poor man's Pippen. I believe we should consider scrapping the idea of a point-forward all together. Also, Walton's horrid defense is really exposed when he sees major minutes. I don't think there is anything wrong with him being in the rotation. He just is not starting material. Again, great post.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Bartholomew Hunt said:
This is a great post. You really thought these things through. I worry about having Walton start. From what I have seen, he does not have uncanny court vision. Better than Odom of course, but nothing close to a poor man's Pippen. I believe we should consider scrapping the idea of a point-forward all together. Also, Walton's horrid defense is really exposed when he sees major minutes. I don't think there is anything wrong with him being in the rotation. He just is not starting material. Again, great post.
Another problem with Walton is that he gets injured to much. If Walton cannot be the answer to the Lakers problem then we are surely screwed this season.:dead: since i don't believe that Phil will scrap the Point Forward tactic.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The more i look at how Lamar plays the more i see it that he doesnt want to be a Laker particularly with Kobe.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Odom sucks.

He is a loser and can't be relied to be a good second option on offense.

Till now i'm kicking myself for the Lakers' brass to let go of Butler (who could create his own shot and at least was willing to sacrifice his body) and keeping this cockroach of a man to roam the perimeter jacking up ill-advised shots....

Kwame is a bust.
Odom is a bust.
Parker and Mihm are nothing but average starters.

God help us all...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts