Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.basketballboards.net/for...769&perpage=15&highlight=hinrich&pagenumber=1

I was going through some old threads tonight of which I wasn't privy to back in the day as I hadn't yet discovered this site, and I stumbled upon a nice, spirited discussion from last spring featuring our resident debaters pharcyde and kcchiefs-fan. I noticed some rather...interesting points of view from one side that I found entertaining as well as representative of mild homerism in general. So, without further adieu, I present some of pharcyde's gems from that discussion, along with some updated contexts for each topic therein.

Regarding Paulding vs. Langford:

Paulding is better than Langford. You've shown nothing at all that can dispute this...All I've said is that you're wrong and I'm right when it comes to the Langford/Paulding debate.
Keith Langford, junior: 17.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.0 spg, 52% FG, 71% FT, 37% 3PT.
Rickey Paulding, senior: 16.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.0 spg, 39% FG, 73% FT, 33% 3PT.

[Langford] will not develop a consistent outside shot over the course of a few months, that just doesn't happen.
Keith Langford from behind the arc:
Freshman year: 27%
Sophomore year: 29%
Junior year to date: 37%

In head to head matchups Paulding has proven that he's better now and Paulding is not the type of player to become satisfied with himself, so will continue to improve...next year [Paulding] will be more consistent, play with a little more fire and will improve his handle with offseason workouts...
Paulding's "improvement":
Rickey Paulding, junior: 17.7 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 2.2 apg, 46% FG, 80% FT, 40% 3PT.
Rickey Paulding, senior: 16.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 39% FG, 73% FT, 33% 3PT.

Regarding Arthur Johnson vs. Nick Collison:

And I never once said that AJ was BETTER than Collison, just that he was about as good, which I think he's shown this year.
Arthur Johnson, senior: 13.6 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.9 bpg, 53% FG, 68% FT, 0% 3PT.
Nick Collison, senior: 18.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.9 bpg, 55% FG, 64% FT, 34% 3PT.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is just a reminder that sometimes reality checks are needed on this site, and that fandom often reaches hyperbolic levels with insidious regularity and significant ease.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
a little too much time on thier hands???

however, you are bringing up some good points.

Also this is hindsight. The players should improve from Junior to Senior years not decrease. If you think about, pharycde never knew this will happen. 20-20.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!
a little too much time on thier hands???

however, you are bringing up some good points.

Also this is hindsight. The players should improve from Junior to Senior years not decrease. If you think about, pharycde never knew this will happen. 20-20.
Regardless of that, he went out of his way to declare Paulding as having a tremendous work ethic, and a huge appetite for improving. If that's the case, you'd think he'd be performing a tad better this season.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I guess I was wrong on that, although I still do think Paulding had the potential to be better than Langford and at the time was better as well (I realize now he does not have the right mentality to be a go to guy, sort of like Rush. They play well until they're expected to, then they usually fall short of expectations).

I was flat out wrong about AJ. He never did start playing with his head for more than a few minutes at a time. He relies way to much on his natural ability. And he's unathletic, to boot. But when he's playing with fire and is focused he's as good as anyone in the country and as good as Collison was at KU.

Both of those two proved me wrong this year, but that doesn't mean I was wrong to say what I said at that time. Give those two a point guard and a controversy free year and I wonder how they would've developed differently

Since we're on the topic of player comparisons, particularly between KU and MU players, I'll go out on a limb here and predict that MU's current class of freshmen will have a bigger impact on the university than KU's will. Thomas Gardner is a flat out stud. He's a defensive machine, can hit the outside shot and is just an overall very, very solid basketball player, especially for a freshman. Kleiza's an offensive juggernaut at times and can be unstoppable. Laurie's a solid point guard who doesn't make mistakes and runs the offense very well for a freshman. And best of all, they all play with intensity on both ends of the court at all times.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!
Since we're on the topic of player comparisons, particularly between KU and MU players, I'll go out on a limb here and predict that MU's current class of freshmen will have a bigger impact on the university than KU's will. Thomas Gardner is a flat out stud. He's a defensive machine, can hit the outside shot and is just an overall very, very solid basketball player, especially for a freshman. Kleiza's an offensive juggernaut at times and can be unstoppable. Laurie's a solid point guard who doesn't make mistakes and runs the offense very well for a freshman. And best of all, they all play with intensity on both ends of the court at all times.
JR Giddens has much more roof potential than anyone else in these two classes. As for Kleiza, he's obviously better than Padgett at the moment, but if Padgett can fill out a bit and refine his skills he can be an AA candidate by his junior year, no doubt about it. Whenever Wilkes gets his minutes he looks extremely smooth and under control. He's got a good jumper, good ballhandling skills and great intelligence. Case has shown absolutely nothing but I'm guessing that's more to do with confidence right now than anything else. People don't call you one of the best long-distance shooters they've ever seen in their lives for nothing.

Kleiza's your saving grace right now because he's the best player in either class at the moment. But I'd be willing to bet Padgett and Giddens will both be better by their junior years.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!

JR Giddens has much more roof potential than anyone else in these two classes. As for Kleiza, he's obviously better than Padgett at the moment, but if Padgett can fill out a bit and refine his skills he can be an AA candidate by his junior year, no doubt about it. Whenever Wilkes gets his minutes he looks extremely smooth and under control. He's got a good jumper, good ballhandling skills and great intelligence. Case has shown absolutely nothing but I'm guessing that's more to do with confidence right now than anything else. People don't call you one of the best long-distance shooters they've ever seen in their lives for nothing.

Kleiza's your saving grace right now because he's the best player in either class at the moment. But I'd be willing to bet Padgett and Giddens will both be better by their junior years.
Honestly, as of right now, I'd say Gardner is really giving Kleiza a run for his money as the best freshman on the team. Thomas isn't as good on the offensive end, but he's much better as a defender and plays in control, which Kleiza has trouble with at times.

I realize both Giddens and Padgett have tons of potential, but I didn't say MU's class would end up better. I said they'd end up having a bigger impact on the university. I don't see Giddens sticking around too long, and Padgett could leave as well. Good post players are just too rare to not go high in the draft, and that could tempt him into leaving early. I'll admit to never seeing either play, though, so I can't really comment on their individual games too much. Wilkes and Case will both contribute as well, I'm sure, but this class of freshmen at Mizzou could be one of the best ever for the Tigers. I know a lot of people have been saying that about Quin's classes since he got here, but that was always based on rankings and hype. I'm basing this off of actual observations of on court performance and these three have really shined so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts