Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Profit a fan of Brown
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - For all the negativity that has surrounded Kwame Brown in his NBA career, Laron Profit has been one of the encouraging voices in his ear, first when they were teammates in Washington, then after they came to the Lakers.

Profit has remained close to the Lakers even after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon in December that led to his release. And Profit has a sense of perspective unmatched when it comes to Brown, who has averaged 16.3 points and nine rebounds the past four games.

"Like I tell people all the time, Kwame's only 24 years old," Profit said. "People don't realize that because they see a 7-foot kid with tremendous physical tools. He's just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do with his game, from a mental standpoint.

"This game is really not about physical tools. It's about mentally, how do you prepare yourself and what type of attitude do you take into every game. And at 24, unfortunately, he's still learning that. There are kids right now in college who are a year or two younger than him.

"I just think people have to understand that. And Kwame has to commit himself to bringing the same attitude to the game every day. And if he does that, the rest will take care of itself."

This is not the best stretch of basketball Profit has seen Brown play - that came during Brown's third season with the Wizards - but Profit has seen his confidence soar since moving into the starting center spot after Chris Mihm was lost to a severe ankle sprain.

"He's not being as hard on himself as he was earlier in the year," said Profit, whose advice to Brown is simple: "Don't try to go into the game thinking about everything. Focus on what you do well and let your confidence build off of that."

There also was no question for Profit about Brown being better off having left Washington. He nodded in the direction of Kobe Bryant at the other end of the practice court Tuesday in saying, "That guy right there takes all the pressure off."

Brown was drafted with the No. 1 overall pick by Michael Jordan and went from being under the microscope in Washington to off the radar (relatively speaking) with the Lakers. Profit also credits Lakers coach Phil Jackson for not giving up on Brown.

"A lot of coaches would have got down on him, a lot of coaches would have been very, very frustrated," Profit said. "But Phil has taken the approach of being very relaxed and calm, and I think that's what a player like Kwame needs. He needs somebody who's not that belittling type of coach, somebody who keeps encouraging him."

Profit was asked about Brown getting a chance at redemption in the upcoming playoffs after the Wizards suspended him during their first-round series a year ago.

"I think that would be vindication for him as a player to show people that what happened last year was not the norm," Profit said. "It was just a situation that unfortunately got out of control . ...

"But now if he has an opportunity to go back to the playoffs, you can wipe the slate clean and kind of get a new start with your new team, experience the joy of being in the playoffs."

:clap:

Also: Bryant sat out practice Tuesday and said of his bothersome back: "It was a little tight today. It should be cleared up by tomorrow." ... Andrew Bynum underwent an MRI on his sprained foot and ankle that showed no additional damage. Bynum is doubtful for Thursday's game against San Antonio.

This team is banged up.. :cry:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
IMO, Profit was a very smart player on the basketball court. He always seemed calm and collected, never trying to do too much. If he makes a full recovery (and improves his range a bit), I'd like to see the lakers sign him to a minimum 2 year deal or so. I think he would be a good back-up to Kobe, who rests less than 10 min per game.

·
Star in the Making
4,739 Posts
Only thing I didnt like about Laron Profit is the fact that he looks exactly like Kobe when hes playing so I get them confused lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Steez said:
Only thing I didnt like about Laron Profit is the fact that he looks exactly like Kobe when hes playing so I get them confused lol
so true, thier both built the same way, its even worse the few times they play together on the court

But Profit was such a good piece coming off the bench, and he was working his way to becoming our sixth man, i hope (and i think he will) come back next year, hope he can contribute

·
Beware of Elbows
18,412 Posts
I hope Laron returns to our team next year. He was off to the best season of his career. The guy can really score the basketball, and the thing I liked most about him was that he only took good shots, which led to a high FG%.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
I'm with you guys on Laron. He really was a pleasant suprise for being a "throw-in". For once, it looked like we had a backup for Kobe. He seems to have a great head on his shoulders, so let's hope he can come back from the injury at full strength and help us next season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.