Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hughes has played for several teams in his young career and made various highlights along the way. Hopefully he stays healthy and plays the same for Cleveland, making life better for the Wine and Gold.

Larry Hughes - Highlights

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
2004-2005
PER SG ratings
Allen 23.6
Hughes 22.7
Redd 19.4
Johnson 13.8

Hughes will surprise a lot of people next year with his play. I was surprised when I looked it up how well his PER rating stack up to the rest of the availabe SG's out there.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
A major challenge for General Manager Danny Ferry over the summer was signing a free agent to complement LeBron James. Not only did he need another star to mesh with a budding superstar in James, but that same player had to possess the ability to accept his role as a supporting actor.

One of the keys to winning a championship in this league is having a viable one-two punch. The most re cent was Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. That did not last be cause Bryant could not accept his role under O'Neal. The best example was Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, and Pippen not only gladly accepted his role, but he thrived in working in Jordan's shadow.

Center Zydrunas Ilgauskas said many players learn to put their ego aside when it comes to playing with a superstar because of the ultimate goal.

"Winning is the most important thing, and when you have an unbelievable talent like LeBron, you're not going to have too many guys like that on your team," Ilgauskas said as training camp opened for the Cavs on Tuesday. "To play a complementary role is not only a good opportunity but a great honor to come here and help [James] out. If the team wins and wins big, there's going to be enough glory to go around for everyone."

Guard Larry Hughes said he understands his role this season, and he plans to fit right in.

"It has to be more than one person to help get the job done," said Hughes, who signed a five-year, $70 million free-agent deal with the Cavaliers over the summer. "LeBron has proven to be a guy who can get the job done, and he needs someone else to help him."

Hughes will provide James and the Cavaliers with major assistance.

Hughes is coming off his best pro season. He averaged a career-high 22 points, 6.3 rebounds and 4.7 assists for the Washington Wizards. Hughes also led the league in steals per game (2.89).

James is certainly pleased to have Hughes as a teammate.

"I love his game," James said. "I like his ability to break down defenses and create his own shot. He takes pride in playing defense, and these days, when you have a guy who takes pride in playing defense, it's a great compliment."
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1128504728228500.xml&coll=2

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beacon Journal | 10/06/2005 | Hughes a calming influence

Hughes a calming influence

Early days in Cavs' camp show his easy-going nature

Larry Hughes, who received a five-year, $60 million contract from the Cavaliers, is expected to blend in well with the team and superstar LeBron James. Hughes has experience playing with All-Stars.

By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sports writer

CLEVELAND - The expression seems emotionless and constant, somewhere between blank and steely.

Larry Hughes wears it just about at all times, whether he's in the midst of a gassing wind sprint, a tedious drill or accepting congratulations for a highlight-making move to the basket. He might come to the Cavaliers billed as an all-around star in the making, but you'd never know it by his outward appearance.

Last season, Hughes put together a career year playing between two All-Stars, Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. With the Cavs, he'll be starting with two more, LeBron James and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. That's not the recipe for a player who craves attention or, at all times, the basketball.

The Cavs gave Hughes a five-year, $60 million deal in part because they believe his even-keeled and disarming temperament, which he's already displaying early in training camp, would fit in with their other stars.

His willingness to blend into the program actually drove up his value in Cavs general manager Danny Ferry's eyes. Even with high-profile players like Ray Allen and Michael Redd on the market, Ferry made Hughes his No. 1 free-agent target.

“I think if you looked at Gilbert and Jamison and I, we all had different talents and I think it is the same with the guys we have here,'' Hughes said after morning practice Wednesday. “I don't need the limelight; I don't need the fame or all the interviews. For the most part I'm a laid-back, easy-going guy. I'm from the Midwest; that's how a lot of us are.''

He wasn't easy-going on the court last season, averaging 22 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and a league-best 2.9 steals. The Wizards had their chemistry problems last season -- former center Kwame Brown and Arenas are still throwing jabs at each other via the media -- but Hughes coexisted peacefully. Occasionally, he was chided for taking too many jump shots, but his ability to be a solid teammate had fans in Washington dreaming big with their trio.

Never was it proven more the last time the Cavs saw him in a key game in April. The Cavs were at the MCI Center in Washington facing Hughes' Wizards and badly needing a win to make the playoffs.

James played like it, scoring 38 points in trying to will his team to a win. But the Wizards escaped, largely because James' intensity was matched by Hughes, who scored 31 points with six rebounds and five steals. After the game, James told Hughes he wanted him to come play with him, because he thought the two would make a great team.

It took some well-documented twists and turns in July, but James got his wish. He's demonstrated for years that he's willing to pass the ball, and Hughes has a track record of letting the game come to him. The plans are best laid.

“Having Larry here takes some of the pressure off me,'' James said. “When I was in high school I had a lot of weapons around me; I feel like that again.''

About the only thing, it seems, that riles Hughes is the suggestion that last season was a fluke, a player gunning for stats in his contract year. His stats might be a little different this season -- the Cavs have seven players on the roster who averaged more than 10 points last season with various teams, a hint the scoring will be more evenly distributed from James on down -- but he's taking those whispers personally.

“If people think I'm going to play any different because I've got a contract, they're wrong,'' Hughes said. “I'm 26; this isn't my last contract. I feel like I'm just starting to come into my prime.''

Scrimmage set

The Cavs will hold an intrasquad scrimmage at 7 tonight at Rhodes Arena at the University of Akron. All tickets for the event, which were free, have been distributed, but a fan festival will be held at the arena, and it is free and open to the public starting at 5 p.m.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Re: Beacon Journal | 10/06/2005 | Hughes a calming influence

Brown is probably going to implement some form of full court pressure, and if there is an SG in the league that can pressure full court, Hughes is certainly one of them. It'll be fun to see what Snow and Hughes can do together when they close games for the Cavs in the playoffs.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beacon Journal | 10/09/2005 | Eye-opening opener for Hughes

Eye-opening opener for Hughes

First game in Cavaliers uniform for free-agent guard is against former team

By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sports writer

CLEVELAND - When Larry Hughes signed with the Cavaliers he knew at some point that he was going to have to face a potentially unpleasant return to Washington.

He just didn't know it would be in his first game.

When Hughes first glanced at the Cavs preseason schedule he was taken back, learning the opener was not only against his former Wizards teammates but also at the MCI Center. That's where the Cavs play tonight, the first of four preseason games this week.

"I couldn't believe this was going to be my first game," Hughes said. "I can't believe this has happened too many times, where a guy has to go back this quick."

It won't be a sellout, being a weeknight preseason affair, but Hughes expects to get some grief from the crowd. Former teammate Gilbert Arenas said he'll encourage the fans just for the fun of it.

"When the schedule first came out, I thought it was kind of funny,'' Arenas said. "It's more of a fan game because me, LeBron, Larry and Antawn (Jamison), I don't know that we're going to play that much. So it's more of a chance for the fans to boo Larry because he's back, and it gives Larry a chance to show us how he's doing before the season gets started."

Hughes signed a five-year $60 million deal with the Cavs in August after he thought that the Wizards lowballed him with a six-year $54 million offer. Even when Washington retorted with a six-year offer worth $72 million, he decided to come to Cleveland.

The Wizards reacted by trading for Caron Bulter and signing Antonio Daniels to replace him, but his departure has been a rather frequent topic of conversation.

"There's no hard feelings. I'm thankful for what they did for me," said Hughes, who averaged 22 points and led the NBA in steals last season.

"I was a guy that didn't talk about contract issues all year. I just wanted to show with my play. It wasn't in their plans. I'm fine with it. I don't think they envisioned me doing the same thing I did last year this year. I don't think anybody will say that, but I put two and two together. If they expected me to do that, they would've paid me like an All-Star, so they didn't seem like they expected it."

Some of the Wizards have gotten tired of hearing about it, especially considering the bulk of the team that advanced to the second round of the playoffs is back.

"I think it's a slap in the face for people to suggest that we're not going to be a good team because Larry's gone," Jamison said. "We didn't make the playoffs last season because of one player."

Pile it together and tonight's game might have a little more edge than normal preseason games, even if the top players only play a few minutes.

"I think they know I had to handle my business," Hughes said. "I'm sure some fans will be disappointed that I left and may show it in an negative way."

Snow to start

Coach Mike Brown said not to read into it, but he will start Eric Snow at point guard tonight against the Wizards. Snow and Damon Jones are competing for the starting job. and it seems Snow might have a slight edge a week into training camp. Drew Gooden, who is drawing rave reviews for his effort in practices, thus far, will start at power forward.

Brown said he might alter his starting lineup for Tuesday's game in Pittsburgh against the Boston Celtics. With another back-to-back Friday at home against the Philadelphia 76ers and Saturday in Milwaukee against the Bucks, the starters might not see extended minutes.

"The preseason is a month long because it allows teams to get reps," Brown said. "We need reps. We're not good offensively, we're not good defensively, we don't know it yet."

Dribbles

The Cavs will take all 19 players on the road trip, but Ira Newble (foot) and Jahidi White (quad) likely won't play.... Kelenna Azubuike continues to be impressive in practice, especially at the offensive end.... The Cavs opened a scrimmage to the media Sunday for the first time, and it revealed Brown's intense coaching style. He's as active as any player, running up and down the floor, often stopping play and getting in and personally demonstrating corrections.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cavaliers: Larry Hughes Player Mailbox

October 31, 2005
Larry Hughes Player Mailbox

When Danny Ferry took over as Cavaliers GM, he had a chance to reshape the Cavaliers roster and the first free agent that the Wine and Gold sought (and found) was explosive combo guard Larry Hughes. Last year's steals leader -- and a member of the All-Defensive Team -- has fit the club like a glove and now brings his high-octane offense and dogged defense to Cleveland.

We offered fans a chance to write in to our Player Mailbox and ask Larry Hughes whatever was on your mind. The former Billiken answered questions about the NBA dress code, what's on his iPod and being a former Billiken. Enjoy!

Comments: Hey, Larry. What was the best advice you have ever recieved from a player?
Larry Hughes: The best advice I’ve ever gotten from another player was to take care of your body. That was real big, especially when I was younger. To take care of your body; give it fuel and energy. I got that from Rick Mahorn.
Comments: Who is you tattoo artist?
Hughes: My tattoo shop is “Iron Age.” I deal with a couple different guys. I know all the guys in the shop; so I’ll shout out for Iron Age.
Comments: How often did you and A.I. (Allen Iverson) play one-on-one and who got the best of it?
Hughes: We played a couple times. We were usually on the same team and I was usually the sub coming in. We messed around a little bit, but we never actually went with points, so there’s nothing officially on the books.
Hughes: I don’t really agree with it. I still say, it’s not what you wear, it’s how you conduct yourself. I’m really sticking to that, because I really believe that. I don’t think any person in the sports field should be mandated on how you come to work. Because we have to wear uniforms when we come to work. I don’t want to be too dramatic with it, but I’m the type that I really like to wear what I feel. If I feel like sweats, I’ll wear sweats. If I feel like wearing a suit, I’ll wear a suit.
Comments: Who is your favorite legendary NBA player?
Hughes: My favorite NBA player is Michael Jordan. Just because he was the first guy that I started watching. I started playing basketball at 12-13 years old and he was real hot at that time. So he was the guy that I really focused on.
Comments: I hope you know Cleveland is excited to have you here, this could be our year! Do have a nickname you like to go by?
Hughes: “Boogie.” I go by Boogie. “Smooth” was given to me in high school by my high school coach, but all my friends and most people call me “Boogie.” It just stuck with me – L-Boogie got shortened to Boogie – and I’ve basically been going by that for the last seven, eight years now. That’s what I go by. I need to get the PA announcer to change it from “Smooth” to “Boogie.”
Comments: Why are you wearing the #32 this season?
Hughes: Well, No. 20 was taken. And my number is 20. The league has a rule that you need written by February of the previous year – and obviously I wasn’t even a member of the team – so there was no way I could get my number. And I wanted to keep my number as double-digits, and I just liked the way it looked, so I just went with it.
Comments: Hey Larry ... I traded for you and gave up Jamaal Crawford on my fantasy league team. Do you think that is a good trade for me?
Hughes: I definitely do. In fantasy league you get points for rebounds and points for the all-around game, and I feel like I have the all-around game. I’m able to do a little bit of everything.
Comments: What other schools were you considering before you committed to attending St. Louis? Not too many players make it to the Association as a Billiken. Glad to have you here!
Hughes: Well, St. Louis is my hometown. So they were right up there with Kansas, Syracuse and Illinois. Those were the choices that I narrowed it down to. I actually went and visited Syracuse. Didn’t visit Kansas but I did visit Illinois. I made a couple trips, but overall my top choices were St. Louis and Syracuse.
Comments: I would just like to say that I think you are a FANTASTIC addition to this club. Also, I was wondering if you had an iPod, and what you have on it?
Hughes: My little brother actually programs my iPod. And he’s got all this jumpin’ up, get crunk music, which is OK sometimes. But I like some young Jay-Z. He doesn’t have any mellow music for me. You know, I like Jaheim. I like Babyface. I like that music, but he hasn’t loaded that in there for me. It’s not kids’ stuff; but it’s just so loud. I think I may have to re-program it.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Re: Cavaliers: Larry Hughes Player Mailbox

CLEVELAND - Larry Hughes' wallet got fat in the offseason. His ego reported to training camp without a trace of swelling.

It's one of the things Cavaliers fans will learn to appreciate about their new shooting guard.

A pro athlete's sense of self importance tends to inflate as the dollar sign in his paycheck grows further apart from the decimal point. Not with Hughes.

His ample skills, even temperament and unassuming nature make him the perfect complement to LeBron James and the Cavaliers' drive to reach the playoffs and beyond.

Hughes got his money -- $60 million-plus for the next five seasons -- let the others have the credit.

``My goal is to be assertive, but to make my teammates' jobs easier by passing the ball, getting rebounds and steals,'' Hughes said.

He did all of the above a season ago for the Washington Wizards and still found time to average 22 points as the third option behind Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison.

It's because Hughes gets it. He is the Morgan Freeman of the NBA, someone who understands they still award Oscars to best supporting actors. He revived the role in his Cavs debut, a 109-87 victory over the Oklahoma City/New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night.

He made just two out of nine field-goal attempts while nursing a sprained finger, but also contributed 10 points, six assists, two steals and three rebounds. Coach Mike Brown praised the all-around effort of a 26-year-old player who knows what it takes to win in the league.

A member of the NBA All-Defensive First Team a season ago, Hughes helped the Wizards reach the postseason's second round for the first time in 23 years.

The Cavs acquired three significant free agents -- Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones are the others -- but it's the signing of Hughes that has the biggest long-term impact. His versatility and athleticism, coupled with the All-NBA talents of James, give the Cavs a dynamic tandem.

``Larry is going to do a lot for that franchise,'' former teammate and Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson said. ``He will take a lot of the pressure off LeBron. I see a great future there.''
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/13078908.htm

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beacon Journal | 11/10/2005 | Cavs' Hughes following

Cavs’ Hughes following

CLEVELAND - the rules on uniforms.

Larry Hughes was the most outspoken Cavaliers critic about the new off-court dress code, but he has followed it. He has been a choir boy on the court, too.

The NBA this week warned about 10 teams that the players were out of on-court dress code, primarily for having shorts that go past the knee. The Cavs, and Hughes directly, were not one of them.

Hughes was a frequent violator of that rule last season with the Washington Wizards, when he and teammates Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison stylishly wore their shorts long. They were warned several times.

With the Cavs, Hughes has been following all the rules, wearing shorter shorts and even rolling them up from the top.

“These are a little too short on me. I'm thinking about getting some longer ones, but I haven't,'' Hughes said. “It is more about just being comfortable; these shorts are a little different. But they can have (the on-court) dress code and enforce it to the fullest. I just wish they'd forget about the other one.''

JACKSON TAKES OVER - Cavs coach Mike Brown said before Wednesday's game that Luke Jackson had pulled ahead of Sasha Pavlovic at backup swingman. Pavlovic started in that role, but Jackson has taken over the past three games. Brown said the decision was based on defense.

“Luke is ahead as of now,'' Brown said. “Both of those guys can put the ball in the hole. I want to make sure they defend the right way, and right now, Luke is doing a nice job.''

Team insiders said Brown was upset that Pavlovic didn't always follow the defensive game plan against the New Orleans Hornets or San Antonio Spurs. Jackson then got his chance and has satisfied the coach.

GIANT JAMES - Wednesday was LeBron James bobblehead night, but they weren't the most noticeable James promotional item on display. Across the street from Quicken Loans Arena on a vacant side of the Terminal Tower building, Nike has posted a 120-by-200 foot ad featuring James.

It features a black and white photo of James going up for a dunk along with the tagline: “We are all just witnesses.'' And, of course, a swoosh.

With James' new shoe, the Zoom LeBron III, due in stores Nov. 17, Nike is unveiling an ad campaign. There have been ads in magazines for several weeks, and TV spots will start soon.

RAY’S WAY - Seattle SuperSonics star guard Ray Allen signed an $85 million contract extension and is second in the NBA in scoring, but he's not taking it easy. On the second night of a back-to-back, he was out on the court taking extra shots three hours before tipoff. The Cavs had brief contract talks with Allen last summer, but he never seriously considered leaving the Sonics.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Re: Beacon Journal | 11/10/2005 | Cavs' Hughes following

I'm not sure how closely many of you watched it because the Browns were on at the same time, but the Cavs win over Orlando really showcased some things about this team.

As I touched on in the article linked above, the most impressive thing about the win was LeBron James didn't have to do it all. In fact, not only didn't he touch the ball on Donyell Marshall's 3-pointer to tie the game at the end of regulation, he didn't touch the ball on the Cavs first five possessions in overtime. The Cavs scored on all six of those possessions, which won them the game.

Rather, it was Larry Hughes who ran things. In overtime, Eric Snow brought the ball down, he'd pitch it to Hughes on the left wing, who ran the exact same play over and over while LeBron stood in the corner. Last year this team couldn't seem to score a point in clutch time unless LeBron did it, and often he couldn't.

Donyell has been getting a lot of attention and rightfully so in the early going, but I've been telling people that Hughes has been way better than his stats. He had 22 points, nine rebounds, seven assists and four steals in Orlando, his best statistical night of the year. But his role was equally important last week in the blowout over the Grizzlies. When LeBron went to the bench in that game with foul trouble in the second quarter, Hughes basically took over the game.

I don't get to hear the call-in shows when I'm on the road, but I really haven't heard a lot of credit being given to Hughes by the fans thus far and that's an injustice I'm trying to fix. I don't care what the stats say, he's playing like an All-Star right now.
http://blogs.ohio.com/cavaliers_blog/

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
The Larry Hughes Show was not prime-time material during the first few games of the season. There was the night he scored 21 points against the Memphis Grizzlies, but he did not have any assists. He began the season with six assists in the opener against the Hornets, but he was lucky to get three rebounds.

Hughes has played well in his last two games. During that span, Hughes is averaging 22 points, 7.5 assists, 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals. It's similar to his average of 22 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.89 steals per game last season with Washington.

<script language="JavaScript"><!-- if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) { document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR=\\"#000000\\" SRC="http://ads.cleveland.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.cleveland.com/xml/story/{$category_letter}/{$category_whole}/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>'); } --></script> <noscript> [url="http://ads.cleveland.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.cleveland.com/xml/story/s4/s4cav/@StoryAd?x"]http://ads.cleveland.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.cleveland.com/xml/story/s4/s4cav/@StoryAd?x[/url] </noscript> He is a well-rounded player, which is why the Cavaliers signed him as a free-agent last summer. One of the most versatile players in the league, Hughes has never been about loading up on points.
"That's why we went after him," said Cavs coach Mike Brown. "We truly believe he was a guy that will have stats in all of the categories. One of the main things that made him stand out from the [other free agent] two-guards were some of those numbers like rebounding and assists. We felt he could do a little bit of everything well. I don't know if he'll get it every night but he's capable."

Hughes will certainly try.

"[Versatility] is what I bring to the table," said Hughes, who had 22 points, eight assists and four rebounds in Tuesday's victory against his former team. "The fun thing is doing different things on the court. I don't want to specialize in one thing. I want to rebound the ball, pass it off, shoot well and play defense. That's a fun way to play basketball. That's how you gain the respect of your teammates, coaching staff and the fans. Everyone respects a guy who can go out and do different things on the court."

The acquisition of Hughes gave the Cavs a solid defender and a great complement to LeBron James. Hughes is similar to James in his ability to penetrate and find the open man. But Hughes is different because he's a better defender. James is enjoying the new partnership.

"If he didn't hurt his thumb, he would've been an All Star last year," James said. "Larry's doing everything we want him to do and he's still getting better and more comfortable with the offense. This is just the beginning for Larry Hughes right now."
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/113230990833860.xml&coll=2

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Larry Hughes quickie

Click Me!

Hughes returns

Cavs guard Larry Hughes missed practice and the team's flight to Chicago on Wednesday to be at his brother's side in a St. Louis hospital. His brother, Justin, had a heart transplant 10 years ago and continues to battle complications. Larry Hughes flew to Chicago late Wednesday and was in the starting lineup against the Bulls.

Justin, 20, has been in the hospital fighting complications before, but Hughes never has had to leave to be with him before.

“They usually try to downplay it so I don't come home, but I had a feeling I needed to be home, and it was the right decision,'' Hughes said. “They're treating him. It will probably be a couple months before they can get it right. Every family has something they deal with; this is our challenge.''

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hughes see ill brother, returns

CAVALIERS INSIDER
Hughes sees ill brother, returns

Friday, December 23, 2005

Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

Chicago - Larry Hughes joined the Cavaliers on Thursday after missing practice on Wednesday. Hughes went home to St. Louis to spend time with his brother Justin, who is hospitalized. Justin, 20, had a heart transplant almost nine years ago.

"His heart is rejecting, which isn't good, but not as bad as it has been in past times," Hughes said. "They're running tests and he's doing better. They're treating him it'll probably be a couple of months before they get [his heart] where they want it."

Hughes joined the Cavs during shootaround on Thursday morning and played against the Chicago Bulls on Thursday night. Hughes hadn't been sure if he was going to make it to Chicago.

"He was really happy to see me," Hughes said about Justin. "He wanted me to leave and play, and that's why I'm here."

From time to time throughout Hughes' career, his brother has had some complications, but this is the first time Hughes had to leave during the season.

"My family didn't want me to come this time, but I had to," Hughes said. "[My family] will usually try to downplay [Justin's condition], but I have to be there. I just had a feeling I had to be home. It was the right decision because my mom was feeling down. When I got there, she pepped up a little."

Hughes' teammates were thinking about him.

"We're going to give him all of the support that he needs," LeBron James said.

"We're all behind him, and we let him know that he can take as much time off as he needs because family is more important then this game of basketball. We're happy that he's here. . . . We're going to be behind him and pray for his family."

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beacon Journal | 12/25/2005 | Cavs haven't seen best from Hughes

Windhorst on the Cavaliers
Cavs haven’t seen best of Hughes

His numbers are down from last season, but he's still trying to find his niche with his new team

By Brian Windhorst

Basketball games generate reams of mathematical statistics, yet they are often highly subjective.

Looking at Larry Hughes' complex numbers, for example, the computer suggests the Cavaliers would be better off if he were benched.

Hughes strangely has the worst plus/minus rating of all the players in the Cavs' rotation.

In fact, over a 48-minute average, the Cavs outscore the opposition by about 17 points when Hughes is on the bench.

When Hughes is on the floor, which is a majority of the time because he averages 37 minutes a night, the Cavs and their opponents are about even.

These numbers are the result of some anomalies, like Thursday night when Hughes sat out the fourth quarter when the Cavs outscored the Chicago Bulls by 16 points. But the numbers speak to the fact the Cavs still haven't seen the best of Hughes yet.

Hughes admits he's still adjusting and not playing near his best ball after signing that large $60 million deal in the offseason.

He's been bothered by a sore right Achilles tendon, which he's played through, and more recently by the health of his younger brother, who is in a hospital in St. Louis with heart problems.

His averages -- about 16 points, four rebounds and four assists on 39 percent shooting -- are all down from his career-highs a year ago.

His defense at times has been fierce and at times ineffective.

He's also sometimes forgotten in the offense, going handfuls of possessions without touching the ball as Zydrunas Ilgauskas and LeBron James dominate it.

Last season, Hughes thrived playing with two other offensive powers, Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison, because they knew how to use him in the Princeton offense.

Then he really made an impact at the defensive end, leading the NBA in steals.

The Cavs run a very different offense, and coach Mike Brown discourages trying for steals if it means giving up position.

Hughes' attitude and defensive talent surely fit in with the need to get a running mate for James who can guard the other team's best wing to take pressure off him. But the Cavs are still trying to figure out how to use Hughes best, and he's still trying to figure where he fits in.

MORE IN URL

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ferry: Hughes wasn't risky signing

Ferry: Hughes wasn’t risky signing

Friday, January 06, 2006

Burt Graeff
Plain Dealer Reporter

Danny Ferry will not second-guess signing oft-injured Larry Hughes to a five-year, $60 million contract in August.

Hughes, who missed 97 of a possible 410 games with various injuries in five previous seasons, is out six to eight weeks with a fracture of the right middle finger. Surgery to repair the fracture is scheduled for today at the Cleveland Clinic.

"We looked at his injury history," Ferry, the Cavaliers' general manager, said. "It's not like there was one recurring injury.

"He plays the game hard and is fearless. He will get injured at times."

Hughes is a slight 6-5, 184-pounder who does not hesitate at taking the ball inside among defenders who are 6 inches taller and 70 pounds heavier. "He is a very tough guy," Ferry said.

In four of five previous seasons, Hughes missed 15 or more games. He missed 20 last season with a fractured right thumb, 19 in 2003-04 with a broken left wrist.

How tough is Hughes?

"He wanted to play the rest of this season with a broken finger," Ferry said. "The doctors said no, that they wanted this taken care of."

Telling a player to tone it down to avoid injury is out of the question. In the early 1990s, Cavaliers All-Star point guard Mark Price played on the edge of recklessness and was often injured. "I wouldn't be the same player if I played any other way," he said.

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said Hughes' history of injuries was discussed before offering a contract. "We felt his injuries were freaky in nature," Brown said.

"It's not like he had a lingering knee injury."

Hughes departs as the team's second-leading scorer, averaging 16.2 points. "He also guards the opposing team's best perimeter player," LeBron James said. "He helps us get easy baskets.

"He's a big part of this team and will be missed."

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Re: Ferry: Hughes wasn't risky signing

Hughes undergoes Finger Surgery at the Clinic:

High-scoring Cavaliers guard Larry Hughes underwent surgery Friday at the Cleveland Clinic to repair his broken right middle finger. <!--------------------------START PLAYER CARD------------------>

<table class="tableheadFixWidth" align="right" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="200"> <tbody><tr class="stathead"> <td colspan="2" class="whitelink"> Larry Hughes</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">
Shooting Guard
Cleveland Cavaliers

Profile</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow"> <td align="center"> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="190"> <tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center"><td colspan="6" align="center">2006 SEASON STATISTICS</td></tr> <tr align="right"> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">GM</td> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">PPG</td> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">RPG</td> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">APG</td> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">FG%</td> <td style="background: rgb(188, 188, 180) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;" width="17%">FT%</td> </tr> <tr align="right" bgcolor="#bcbcb4"> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">28</td> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">16.2</td> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">4.2</td> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">3.9</td> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">41.240</td> <td style="background: rgb(153, 153, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial;">76.875</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr> </tbody> </table> <!---------------------INLINE MINI-PLAYER CARD ENDS HERE--------------------> The oft-injured Hughes is expected to miss eight weeks.

Hughes, 26, is the team's second-leading scorer, averaging 16.2 points and 3.9 assists. He started the first 28 games for the Cavaliers before sitting out Wednesday night at Milwaukee. The Cavaliers are 1-1 in his absence.

The Cavaliers knew that Hughes had a history of injuries when they signed him to a five-year, $60 million contract in the offseason.

Hughes hasn't played a complete season since 1999-2000 and has missed 97 games over the last five seasons with a list of injuries, including a broken right thumb, broken left wrist, bruised left knee, sprained right ankle and strained right shoulder.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said Hughes is a tough competitor who plays the game fearlessly and will get injured at times.

"He wanted to play the rest of this season with a broken finger," Ferry said. "The doctors said no, that they wanted this taken care of."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2282945

1 - 20 of 70 Posts