Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it...where does he fit in on the Wizards. He is not a point guard and never will be. This just doesn't SEEM to be the best place for him.:uhoh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
You folks do not seem to understand. The Wiz want a taller defender at the point. They use the Triangle ( a la Lakers)
and want to put at least 3 ballhandlers on the court.
The SF and 2 guards will all hanble the balll and must be able to get to the hole (just watdh LA) , do they have a top 10 (statwise) PG?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by Tom
I don't get it...where does he fit in on the Wizards. He is not a point guard and never will be. This just doesn't SEEM to be the best place for him.:uhoh:
I think this is the absolute best place for him. He is put in a situation where he can grow as a player and do what he has to do. No one in Washington sees him as a savior. He will step in and play the PG where is athleticism and height is coveted more than his ball handling and traditional PG skills.

Where would have been a better fit for him? Trying to be the second scorer in Philly where he has been rejected once already? Playing for Riles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The best place for Hughes would have been with the Lakers, where he would have had to take a salary cut to play for them, but in the end PhilJax would have turned him into the hottest free agent after his would-be tenure with the Lakers. I wish Hughes the best of luck in Washington, but I think he would have thrived under the tutelage of PhilJax.

Hughes gets a bad rap for his supposed shooting woes. Well he's not the best shooter in the game, but his low percentage comes from his poor shot selection. A lot of people make him out to be the worst shooter in the league at his position. I think once Hughes gets comfortable, he could indeed be one of the best combo-guards in the league. It didnt' help his case when the W's tried to convert him into a PG. Hopefully Washington will be the place where Hughes finally gets comfortable at PG. Hopefully playing alongside MJ will make Hughes into one of the elite guards in the game.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tweeners, I really agree with you about hughes. However, I think he will fit in with the Wizards (who have been my fav team since they were the Bullets), because they run a similar triangle offense to the Lakers. They don't need a true point guard, just someone to bring the ball up the court, distribute it a bit, and score a little as well. Granted, the Wizards have failed miserably with such an offense compare do the Lakers, but perhaps Hughes will bring them some success. Remember, the Wizards have Jordan, Rip, and Dixon, who will all be two-guards next year who can handle the ball in the triangle offense.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree that Hughes would be perfect on the Lakers, they dont need a true point in the triangle offense and Hughes would be the third scorer that the Lakers need. He would have a much easier time scoring as the third option because the other teams would be too concerned with Shaq and Kobe to try and shut him down. I have wondered why the Lakers didn't ask for Qyntel Woods in thier draft day trade instead of Devean George and then throw their mid-level exception at Hughes. I think the Lakers would be a much more talented team with Hughes and Woods instead of Rush and George.

Don't get me wrong, I like Devean and Rush, but I don't think Devean is worth the contract the Lakers gave him, and I think that Rush is going to take some time to become an effective player(almost all rookies do) while, Hughes could contribute immediately and Woods could be thier SF of the future(with much much more potential than George).

Basically, I just think that the Lakers should have let George go(letting some other team overpay him) and tried to sign Hughes. The reason I mention Rush and Woods is simply because, Woods can play SF, while Rush is a SG.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts