Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
ended with 43 points, 5 rebounds, 2 dimes, and 5 steals. he played great offensevley and defensively. his 43 points was 1 point shy of a career-high. great game, larry. now we just need that from him everygame! lol. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Hughes played a fantastic game, no question about that. Though he sputtered a bit in the 4th, in the other three quarters he was pure gold. However, while I don't want to rain on his parade, I don't think this game is really much more than an isolated incident. He didn't really play any different than he normally does; he still took a fair amount of not-so-good shots in my opinion. The only difference is that he happened to be hot tonight, so they were falling.

I know I talk down about Hughes a lot, and I don't want to sound like it's impossible for him to do good in my eyes. This was a great game, there's no doubt. However, it's not like he made a positive adjustment to his game and it paid off -- I fully expect him to go back to having 18 points on 7-20 shooting in our next game.

I still tip my hat to him tonight though -- please prove me wrong Larry :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
good game tonight, but i think the espn analysts described it best when they said

"Larry Hughes, not a push off, just creative use of the shoulder"

He had a good game, but he still is offensive foul prone and some calls went for him on this game.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Hughes played a fantastic game, no question about that. Though he sputtered a bit in the 4th, in the other three quarters he was pure gold. However, while I don't want to rain on his parade, I don't think this game is really much more than an isolated incident. He didn't really play any different than he normally does; he still took a fair amount of not-so-good shots in my opinion. The only difference is that he happened to be hot tonight, so they were falling.

I know I talk down about Hughes a lot, and I don't want to sound like it's impossible for him to do good in my eyes. This was a great game, there's no doubt. However, it's not like he made a positive adjustment to his game and it paid off -- I fully expect him to go back to having 18 points on 7-20 shooting in our next game.

I still tip my hat to him tonight though -- please prove me wrong Larry :D
I think yoiu go a little overboard on your criticism of Hughes. I agree he has had some tough nights shooting, but don't ever question the effort or heart. He gives all out every night on a very bad team and that is hard to do. He will never quit as the last two nights have shown. I thought he played very well on Friday. 9 rebounds for a 2 guard is pretty damn good. You are 100% entitled to your opinion on his game and you are very accurate with most of your posts. I enjoy your insight.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stlrebfan</b>!

I think yoiu go a little overboard on your criticism of Hughes. I agree he has had some tough nights shooting, but don't ever question the effort or heart. He gives all out every night on a very bad team and that is hard to do. He will never quit as the last two nights have shown. I thought he played very well on Friday. 9 rebounds for a 2 guard is pretty damn good. You are 100% entitled to your opinion on his game and you are very accurate with most of your posts. I enjoy your insight.
You may be right; most other people seem happier with him than I am, so I might go overboard. It's also not like I am completely unsastisfied with what he does for us, which it may seem like based on what I usually have to say about him. In fact, he does a good deal of things very well for us: rebound, defend, effort, heavy minutes without appearing to get tired, hitting catch-and-shoot jumpers, willingness to be "the man" with key injuries, and other things that I can't think of at the moment.

However, the biggest complaint I have about him (and the thing that usually fuels my negative comments) is that on offense, he plays like he thinks he's a superstar, when he's just not at that level. He's an excellent catch-and-shoot shooter, but it just always seems like he'd rather drive into traffic and force a runner as opposed to running off a screen and getting a pass from a teammate for the open jumper. What I'm hoping is that he is just overcompensating for Arenas and Stackhouse being out; outside of those two he most certainly is our best offensive player, but he seems to take his temporary role as the number one option too far. He looked so much better in the opening month or so of the season when he was playing the second fiddle role so well next to Arenas.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really dislike Hughes. For every game he has like the 40+ one, hes shot the Wizards out of games more often than not. He takes some of the worst shots, and rarely passes the ball even when players are open. I swear he almost never passes it down to the post when a big man is posting up, he seems to always try and take it himself. And if we're talking about fast breaks here, it just kills me how selfish he is because he tries to take it himself almost everytime.

I really hate our guards in general other than Brevin. At least Breven doesnt take such stupid shots like Arenas, Hughes, Dixon, and Blake do. He isnt nearly as selfish either, although Gilbert isnt as bad as the other 3 imo. I blame alot of our losses on our guards poor shot selection and selfishness. I also blame Eddie Jordan for allowing them to just hoist dumb shots up, and then make excuses for their selfishness sayiung they just really want to win too much so they try and take it themself. Thats selfishness, i wish EJ would be blunt instead of excusing everything because theyre young.

Its painful watching the Wizards for me just because they play so stupid. When you have some decent big men, or someone like Kwame dominating the post the whole first half. And you dont feed him the ball at all the whole 2nd half due to the selfish nature of your guards, that stuff is tough to watch :p

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hughes, as well as Dixon and Blake, are a big reason why the Wizards are so bad. They consistently turnover the ball more than any guards i've ever seen because their always trying to rush everything. We're 2nd in the league in TO's, and those guards are a big reason why. Blake is so overrated its not funny.

They need to do a big trade and get rid of all these streaky shooting guards that you have to live and die with depending on them being hot or cold :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion. But, hen Larry has played with people who can play (ie AAU, HS, college) he has been the consumate team player. He has won state and national championships and helped SLU to one of their best seasons. Other than in Philly, he has played on very poor teams. He comes to work each day and busts his *** off. This is a dedicated hard-nosed player. Sure, he makes mistakes. Turns it over some and at times forces shots. Who do you think should score for the Wizards? Exactly.
Originally posted by <b>Happyface</b>!
I really dislike Hughes. For every game he has like the 40+ one, hes shot the Wizards out of games more often than not. He takes some of the worst shots, and rarely passes the ball even when players are open. I swear he almost never passes it down to the post when a big man is posting up, he seems to always try and take it himself. And if we're talking about fast breaks here, it just kills me how selfish he is because he tries to take it himself almost everytime.

I really hate our guards in general other than Brevin. At least Breven doesnt take such stupid shots like Arenas, Hughes, Dixon, and Blake do. He isnt nearly as selfish either, although Gilbert isnt as bad as the other 3 imo. I blame alot of our losses on our guards poor shot selection and selfishness. I also blame Eddie Jordan for allowing them to just hoist dumb shots up, and then make excuses for their selfishness sayiung they just really want to win too much so they try and take it themself. Thats selfishness, i wish EJ would be blunt instead of excusing everything because theyre young.

Its painful watching the Wizards for me just because they play so stupid. When you have some decent big men, or someone like Kwame dominating the post the whole first half. And you dont feed him the ball at all the whole 2nd half due to the selfish nature of your guards, that stuff is tough to watch :p

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stlrebfan</b>!
You are entitled to your opinion. But, hen Larry has played with people who can play (ie AAU, HS, college) he has been the consumate team player. He has won state and national championships and helped SLU to one of their best seasons. Other than in Philly, he has played on very poor teams. He comes to work each day and busts his *** off. This is a dedicated hard-nosed player. Sure, he makes mistakes. Turns it over some and at times forces shots. Who do you think should score for the Wizards? Exactly.

Larry was selfish when he played for GS, its just that he didnt have as big of a head yet like he does now, and they had better talents where he knew his place. Same with when he went to Philly, he knew AI was the man there. I'm sorry, but theres no excuse for the way hes played for the Wizards, if you have been watching the Wizards games at all, i dont think you can deny the selfish nature of Hughes. When you have a 3 on 1 fastbreak, and your guard whos running the break doesnt pass it to 2 wide open wings only to get the charge call, thats being selfish! When you have a post player battling for position, and Hughes regularly neglects to pass it down low only to take it himself into the middle of the lane only to get a charge call or miss a shot, thats being selfish. When your 1-12 at halftime or something like that, and end up like 1-18 at the end of the game thats being selfish!

I dont care about Hughes college days, i'm talking about now and how he hurts the Wizards more often than not with his poor shot selection and selfishness. So you want to know who can score for the Wizards other than Hughes? Kwame can do so much more than he has but he hasnt been given the opportunity. If they only gave him half the chances they've given Hughes throughout the season, Kwame would easily put up better numbers, as well as much higher percentage. Problem is Eddie Jordan thinks he can win with streaky guards taking the majority of their shots, which is a BIG reason why the Wizards the worst team in the NBA right now. Not to mention their tendency to turnover the ball with their carelessness.

Big men generally shoot a higher field goal percentage than guards, which is why most teams consider a good big man > good guard. The Wizards have some underated big men, problem is they under-utilize them, while over-utilizing their streaky shooters who are also poor distributors.

I have a hard time watching the Wizards play these days. Its just sad how undisciplined they are, and how the after-game commentary almost seems to not care or expect the losses, making the excuse that their young constantly(EJ constantly says this after their losses as to excuse everything). If i'm watching the Bulls play, and they lose, the after-game commentary is critical and at least doesnt make the excuses or expect the losses like the commentators/coaches in Washington do. I guess that has to do w/ the history of the organization and its committment/desire to winning. Still though, i am so sick of hearing the excuses of being young or players being injured.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Larry was selfish when he played for GS, its just that he didnt have as big of a head yet like he does now, and they had better talents where he knew his place. Same with when he went to Philly, he knew AI was the man there. I'm sorry, but theres no excuse for the way hes played for the Wizards, if you have been watching the Wizards games at all, i dont think you can deny the selfish nature of Hughes. When you have a 3 on 1 fastbreak, and your guard whos running the break doesnt pass it to 2 wide open wings only to get the charge call, thats being selfish! When you have a post player battling for position, and Hughes regularly neglects to pass it down low only to take it himself into the middle of the lane only to get a charge call or miss a shot, thats being selfish. When your 1-12 at halftime or something like that, and end up like 1-18 at the end of the game thats being selfish!

I dont care about Hughes college days, i'm talking about now and how he hurts the Wizards more often than not with his poor shot selection and selfishness. So you want to know who can score for the Wizards other than Hughes? Kwame can do so much more than he has but he hasnt been given the opportunity. If they only gave him half the chances they've given Hughes throughout the season, Kwame would easily put up better numbers, as well as much higher percentage. Problem is Eddie Jordan thinks he can win with streaky guards taking the majority of their shots, which is a BIG reason why the Wizards the worst team in the NBA right now. Not to mention their tendency to turnover the ball with their carelessness.

Big men generally shoot a higher field goal percentage than guards, which is why most teams consider a good big man > good guard. The Wizards have some underated big men, problem is they under-utilize them, while over-utilizing their streaky shooters who are also poor distributors.

I have a hard time watching the Wizards play these days. Its just sad how undisciplined they are, and how the after-game commentary almost seems to not care or expect the losses, making the excuse that their young constantly(EJ constantly says this after their losses as to excuse everything). If i'm watching the Bulls play, and they lose, the after-game commentary is critical and at least doesnt make the excuses or expect the losses like the commentators/coaches in Washington do. I guess that has to do w/ the history of the organization and its committment/desire to winning. Still though, i am so sick of hearing the excuses of being young or players being injured.
If you think Larry has a big head, you are clueless. This is one of the kindest people on this planet. After a loss to Memphis this year he took 1/2 hr aside to visit with my 6 yr old. During that 1/2 hr, I witnessed Laettner totally ignore several children seeking an autograph. Don't talk about selfish and knowing his place. He was asked to move to the point both in GS and Wash and did so w/o any complaints. He played fairly well, and shot a very good percentage last season. BTW have you ever heard about him being uncoachable or having any problems with teammates? NO! His place is in the NBA and having to play with sorry players really hurts him. If you have followed the Wizards as you say, you would know that he called his teammates out for not being upset after losses earlier last month. You are entitled to speak of him as a basketball player, but unless you know him, you need to keep your mouth shut about him as a person. BTW he has raised millions for organ transplants. Yeah, that's a bighead selfish person.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just so you know although its obvious my critiques of Hughes have to do with him as a PLAYER, not his personal life. So until you hear me say hes a selfish person in RL, as opposed to player, then you cant criticize me for saying anything about Hughes.

Your the one trying to bring up his RL character to excuse his gameplay. I'm sure hes probably a very nice person in RL, so are alot of athletes that take time to sign autographs for fans. I've heard some bad stuff about Laetnner as a person so i'm not surprised about that.

I know for a fact that Hughes is a selfish PLAYER, its blatantly obvious. Either that or he thinks hes the second-coming of AI, and that the rest of the team is incompetent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just so you know although its obvious my critiques of Hughes have to do with him as a PLAYER, not his personal life. So until you hear me say hes a selfish person in RL, as opposed to player, then you cant criticize me for saying anything about Hughes.

Your the one trying to bring up his RL character to excuse his gameplay. I'm sure hes probably a very nice person in RL, so are alot of athletes that take time to sign autographs for fans. I've heard some bad stuff about Laetnner as a person so i'm not surprised about that.

I know for a fact that Hughes is a selfish PLAYER, its blatantly obvious. Either that or he thinks hes the second-coming of AI, and that the rest of the team is incompetent.
You don't know for a fact unless you have asked him. The coach says shoot, so he does. If your boss asks you to do something, you do it. BTW the team in fact IS incompetent.

·
Registered
454 Posts
oh cmon you cant be seriouis, can you? You might want to give me your definition of 'incompetent'. I mean i consider incompetent someone thats regularly 5 for 16, 1 for 19? was it? a guy that shoots the team OUT of games more often than he does IN. To me that sums up Larry Hughes, look at the box scores thats undeniable proof.

Personally, i wouldnt call guys that are shooting above .500 too incompetent, especially when its coming from someone who has one of the worst FG%'s in the league :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts