Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Hughes underrated? He's been putting up like 21ppg for the last two months. He's a good defender, rebounder, ball handler, shooter, slasher, and still young with room to get better. It seems like he's underrated because nobody ever talks about him. Head to head he's torched Micheal Redd, Allen Iverson, Ray Allen, and he puts up better numbers than guys like Rip Hamilton, Eddie Jones, J-Rich.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
He's underrated because he's on a team that doesn't win, and because he wasn't good right off the bat...and when you're not immediately good people form opinions about your game that are hard to change without playing really really well.

I thought Hughes was good for the Wizards last year as well. He is underrated.

He's still young, too. Which I don't think people realize.
 

·
do better
Joined
·
41,522 Posts
Yep to all those things futuristxen. He's lived up to his potential, but sadly for the 6ers, he's torching them instead torching for them. I've been impressed with how he's carried the load in DC with the injuries. He's also worked on his jump shot substantially, a sign that he wants to be better. Do you all think Stackhouses presence will be good or bad for him? He was brought to DC to play the point, but he's obviously strayed away from that. I think as long as Jerry rations his shots and is still good it can bode well for his FG% and Assist numbers. They can, (if they stay afloat long enough for the guys to heal) make a serious run at a playoff berth with Gilbert, Jerry, and Larry.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
I think Stackhouse will have an adverse affect on anyone he plays with.

He's a clear cut case of cancer if I've ever seen it. His ego isn't in line with his abilities and he makes teams pay for it constantly.

Larry and Gilbert can play together.

Jerry, Larry, and Gilbert...I have my doubts about that ever working.
 

·
just foul
Joined
·
6,913 Posts
I've never really been a big fan of his. He is a decent scorer, but is not a good shooter.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
I've never really been a big fan of his. He is a decent scorer, but is not a good shooter.
I agree. And there will always be stretches of games he has where he's burning it up and people will ask if he's underrated. Then he'll go back to mediocre.

He's athletic, but he's never really delivered on his promise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
I'm still not a big fan of the Hughes we've seen in recent weeks, and it'll take more than the ability to put up 21 points on 8-22 shooting on one of the league's worst teams to boost my view of him. Honestly I think he's currently playing his worst basketball since joining the Wizards at the point in time. He was definitely better at the beginning of this season, and I think he was better as our PG last year too. Simply put, he isn't a first option level player, even on a bad team. I think his best role would be as a third option, though he seems to be a pretty decent number two.

It's not all negative though. He's a solid defender, he always gives an all-out effort whenever he's on the court, he is a great rebounder for a guard, he's become quite good at catch-and-shoots off of screens, and he is excellent at getting to the free throw line. If I could only pick one player between him and Stackhouse, I'd take him without question, so that's something.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
If anyone ever calls MJG a homer, I'll bust them in the jaw.:laugh:

The main thing to note about Hughes is that he is underrated. But we don't need to get carried away about him. Just stop using his name like a bad word in the league. He's solid to good. But people talk like he's complete garbage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
If anyone ever calls MJG a homer, I'll bust them in the jaw.:laugh:

The main thing to note about Hughes is that he is underrated. But we don't need to get carried away about him. Just stop using his name like a bad word in the league. He's solid to good. But people talk like he's complete garbage.
I agree with this. He certainly isn't anything amazing, but he's still a very good player, which I say despite not really being a big fan of his. I might not be being totally fair with him though; most of the negative things I've had to say about him recently have come while Arenas has been out with his injury. I actually thought Hughes was playing great over the first month or so of the season when he was playing second fiddle to Arenas. I probably shouldn't fault the guy too much for trying to lead the team with its top player out -- I just wish that he knew that leading the team doesn't mean trying to do more than you're capable of.

Hughes' season stats, for those curious:
18.8 PPG (40% FG, 6.7-16.8 FGA)
34.8% 3P (1.3-3.7 3PA)
81.5 FT% (4.1-5.0 FTA)
4.9 RPG
2.3 APG
1.5 SPG
0.3 BPG
2.5 TO
34.3 MPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
I have always been a fan of larry hughes, the problem is that the warriors thought he was a PG. Larry's best role is as a slashing, floor running wing player. He's a very solid passer also but you shouldn't confuse that with being a PG, theres a big difference.

Last year i was playing a fantasy game with a buddy of mine and I snatch up larry hughes. He's a steal for what he signed with the Wiz.

You could look at it like this, Is Larry a superstar, of course not. However his production is much more than his contract would indicate. If a statistic like, production per dollar, existed Larry would probably be top 10.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NorthSideHatrik</b>!
I have always been a fan of larry hughes, the problem is that the warriors thought he was a PG. Larry's best role is as a slashing, floor running wing player. He's a very solid passer also but you shouldn't confuse that with being a PG, theres a big difference.

Last year i was playing a fantasy game with a buddy of mine and I snatch up larry hughes. He's a steal for what he signed with the Wiz.

You could look at it like this, Is Larry a superstar, of course not. However his production is much more than his contract would indicate. If a statistic like, production per dollar, existed Larry would probably be top 10.


Nice spin on that Northside:)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top