Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his retirement was so quiet. i was his biggest fan and i didn't even know he retired. i was ready for the next knicks season and when i noticed he never played in 10 games, i knew something was wrong. was he not much of a superstar? :eek:

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shonin</b>!
his retirement was so quiet. i was his biggest fan and i didn't even know he retired. i was ready for the next knicks season and when i noticed he never played in 10 games, i knew something was wrong. was he not much of a superstar? :eek:
He was a bigtime star before he got hit with back problems. Then he become a 3 pt shooter.

I loved that old Charlotte team with LJ, Zo, Muggsy ...

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Re: Re: larry johnson

Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!

He was a bigtime star before he got hit with back problems. Then he become a 3 pt shooter.

:yes:
Those three, Kendall Gill, Dell Curry

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Re: larry johnson

Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!

Yeah it was a shame that all those back injuries wrecked Larrys career. I was also a fan of that Charlotte team back in the early 90s

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Re: Re: Re: larry johnson

Originally posted by <b>Genuine Article</b>!

:yes:
Those three, Kendall Gill, Dell Curry
They were a great team to watch ... and they had tremendous support from their home crowd then. Of course, that all went downhill.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
When Larry first came into the league I said to people he would be the next Barkley and for his first two years he looked like he was on his way to become so. It was unfortunate that he suffered a back injury that would derail the rest of his career. What is even more sad is that the super frontcourt tandem of Zo and Larry never materialized to its potential due to injuries and internal disputes. That tandem was once the future of the NBA. It is scary even to this day when I think what they could have accomplished together healthy and without dysfunctional conflict.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bball_Doctor</b>!
When Larry first came into the league I said to people he would be the next Barkley and for his first two years he looked like he was on his way to become so. It was unfortunate that he suffered a back injury that would derail the rest of his career. What is even more sad is that the super frontcourt tandem of Zo and Larry never materialized to its potential due to injuries and internal disputes. That tandem was once the future of the NBA. It is scary even to this day when I think what they could have accomplished together healthy and without dysfunctional conflict.
just out of curiosity, were zo and lj ever a good teammates together ?? i think you all remember that infamous fight between zo and lj in the playoff right ?? and they use to be teammates !!!!!!!!! was that a reason behind them that got them traded from charlotte hornets (now new orlean hornets)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Larry Johnson was my favorite player of all time. i was a big fan of charlotte when he was there i liked him in NY too. and his performance in the eastern conference finals in 99 was outstanding. his 4pt game winning play vs. Indiana was one of the best cluch plays in the "history of western civilization" :)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Honestly.. How many time's, has a school had 3 player's selected in the 1st 12 pick's of the same draft?.. Larry Johnson(#1).. Stacey Augmon(#9) and Greg Anthony(#12) of UNLV.. Who woulda thought that Augmon would be the last man standing out of the trio.!

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
I agree with all of you guys. That Charlotte team was a helluva team to watch. I used to have a bunch of Hornet gear.

LJ was a stud in college and for a few years in the Pros until injuries made him slow, which seemed to coincide with him going to the Knicks. I also remember Larry signing what was, at the time, the biggest contract in NBA (maybe even pro sports?) history. It was something like $90 mil over 8 years, if I remember correctly. I officially stopped liking him when he started doing that stupid-looking "L" thing with his arms when he was on the Knicks. That was annoying as all hell.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
Honestly.. How many time's, has a school had 3 player's selected in the 1st 12 pick's of the same draft?.. Larry Johnson(#1).. Stacey Augmon(#9) and Greg Anthony(#12) of UNLV.. Who woulda thought that Augmon would be the last man standing out of the trio.!
brand, maggette and avery ?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>el_Diablo</b>!

brand, maggette and avery ?
Close.. Brand(#1).. Langdon(#11).. Maggette(#13).. Avery(#14).. But.. One could argue that outta that class, only Brand and Maggette have had an impact in the league!.. Augmon.. LJ and Anthony all were starter's on playoff team's!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>PC Load Letter</b>
I officially stopped liking him when he started doing that stupid-looking "L" thing with his arms when he was on the Knicks. That was annoying as all hell.
what!? that was the best victory sign ever in the history of sports!

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
LJ was the man. He was just a warrior. After his back problems, he redefined his game and became a 3pt shooter, and a helluva clutch shooter at that. Just a great basketball player and competitor.

*BTW, 1990 UNLV = Best college team ever. I don't care about those old UCLA teams. Those Rebels would run Walton, Kareem ragged. No way they could keep up w/ them.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Who remembers that big "L" he used to put up after hitting a 3?

-Petey

·
Registered
232 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chapi</b>!
Larry Johnson was my favorite player of all time. i was a big fan of charlotte when he was there i liked him in NY too. and his performance in the eastern conference finals in 99 was outstanding. his 4pt game winning play vs. Indiana was one of the best cluch plays in the "history of western civilization" :)
I had the pleasure of being at the notorious four-point play game, and I must say that it was definitely the greatest basketball experience of my life. When LJ hit the shot, Madison Square Garden went WILD. I even downloaded the clip off of Kazaa.

·
Registered
346 Posts
l.j is da man they retired his number at his old highschool out here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts