Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
This is no time to go into a funk, Spiders.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I hope that the Committee doesn’t hold this against the Bonnie’s. Neither team acted like they wanted to win.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Fuck the A10 for making us play this meaningless ass game. Fuck them right up the ass
this wasn’t a meaningless game. SBU needed to win the game but didn’t. They didn’t look like league champion. I’m sorry but that’s reality. At least St. Bona played the season out. UR and Davidson? This league sucks. Bernadette is OK with the league champion playing 4 games in 8 days?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
this wasn’t a meaningless game. SBU needed to win the game but didn’t. They didn’t look like league champion. I’m sorry but that’s reality. At least St. Bona played the season out. UR and Davidson? This league sucks. Bernadette is OK with the league champion playing 4 games in 8 days?
There was no reason to play this game. Neither team needed it and making us cram games in the last week was dumb by the conference. They put out a path that was unnecessarily treacherous and for no reason. Fuck them. I hated it when they announced it and now, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I agree with JAF here on two counts.. yes, the game mattered, we needed to play either UMass or UD, and yes 4 games in 9 days was also bullshit. But I would say we have league champ defense. The offense was not to the level we need for the majority of the game, in flow and shooting.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I agree with JAF here on two counts.. yes, the game mattered, we needed to play either UMass or UD, and yes 4 games in 9 days was also bullshit. But I would say we have league champ defense. The offense was not to the level we need for the majority of the game, in flow and shooting.
This is on the conference leadership. UD is a nuclear landmine. That being said The Bonnies needed to show that they are league champions. Really no excuses. The Bonnie’s deserve an at large bid,

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,681 Posts
This is on the conference leadership. UD is a nuclear landmine.
This.

Everyone who watches this conference knows UD is an extremely capable team--one with a roster good enough to win the conference tournament. It's on Bernadette and the conference leadership for even scheduling this game and the larger league-wide alterations. Basically, they set up trip wires at every turn for its at-large contenders.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
That was not a good outcome for the Spiders.
Onward...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
And that is why I'm so pissed. I have the receipts, I was against this from jump. Its not sour grapes. If this happened 3 games ago so be it but the conference crushed 1 at large hopeful and damaged another, for what? So the Bonnies could get a 15th conference game when most of the league played less? Completely stupid.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I understand what everyone is saying: The game was important to the Bonnies, because that's a Q3 loss and that looks bad, and we've been screwed over before so we're all paranoid about being Tulsa'd again. Had to win it.

And based on THAT, it makes no sense that the A-10 gave us DC, DC, (GW) and UD in the last four games over nine days, when we could have been protected, given more time between games, and not hurt our at-large chances.

When you see tons of shots be short, that's LEGS. How many Bona shots were short? Virtually all the misses.

I understand we have TV slots to fill, and TV wants Dayton vs RS Champ Bona, and not Bona vs SJU or Fordham. But come on, you're hurting the chances at free money from the NCAA/CBS by doing what they did.

We got teams that only played 10 games, and with our 15 games against 12 teams, you've giving us 2nd and 5th in the NET twice?

And we're going to have a 14-team A-10 tournament (for no reason other than TV timeslots), where they seed on win pct on unequal games, resulting in our side of the bracket chalk lines up to 4th in NET Richmond in the QUARTERS and 3rd in NET Saint Louis in the semis, while the other side is 7th in NET Dayton, 5th in NET Davidson?

How about some protection?

Look at the WCC. Gonzaga and 2nd place get byes to the SEMIS. They seeded the thing by "Adjusted Win Pct" provided by Ken Pom, whom they hired to do for them. We should have done that. 10 teams, seeded by NET;

First
(8) 119 UMass vs (9) 125 Mason
(7) 104 URI vs (10) 139 Duquesne

Second
(5) 71 Davidson vs UMass/Mason
(6) 89 UD vs URI/DUQ

Qtrs
(4) 54 Richmond vs DC/UMass/Mason
(3) 50 SLU vs UD/URI/DUQ

Semis
(2) 37 VCU vs SLU/UD/URI/DUQ
(1) 28 Bona vs Richmond/DC/UMass/Mason

Final

Have the bottom four teams play at a different site, in the TV slots for ESPN+ and NBCSN to fill.

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And that is why I'm so pissed. I have the receipts, I was against this from jump. Its not sour grapes. If this happened 3 games ago so be it but the conference crushed 1 at large hopeful and damaged another, for what? So the Bonnies could get a 15th conference game when most of the league played less? Completely stupid.
Not to mention the game the A10 made you guys pick up for UR at the Stu. VCU's legs looked tired on Saturday too. Is what it is but Bernie sure does not understand how to get bids. Or maybe she knows something. I have a headache.

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I'm conflicted here. The whole "covid rules" season has skewed our perception of what's right, or acceptable. We were supposed to host Dayton this season. It was on the schedule. In a non-covid year, that game was happening.

So what I hope is everyone is pissed that we got 4 games in 9 days. Played the 4th most games in the conference. Why could we not have hosted UD instead of playing a return at DC who we were only supposed to play once as it was. That's something to be pissed about. Especially since in conference, SBU carried the mantle well, and sure as shit didn't have to schedule D3 tune up games. Maybe we shouldn't be such a team player anymore.

But I've always believed you should want to play. Play the best. Play UD. Be who you say you are. But the problem is that schedules were always in the air. It was schedule on the fly, changes here and there. And Bernie blew it. She couldn't even get the favorite son VCU a fair shake by sending them to DC in a no win game.

So yeah, the conference fucked up. But at the same time, win games you should. It was a rough day at SBU, but at the end of the day you have to win. It's harsh reality of our business. And now you just have to go forward and win, period. The only guarantee ever is a conference tourney title, and they need to play like that's the standard right now.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yes, I'm 100% pissed about "4 games in 9 days," and not "playing UD."

But I'm also pissed that the A-10 hasn't taken a mindset of "whatever we need to do for max NCAA bids, we will do."

The tournament seeds are a joke. Why would we use win percentage when everyone didn't play everyone at least once. It's not like "a couple teams are missing games," we had 33 games (66 team games) missing from the standings!

By picking "win percentage" we screwed over three of our top four on the at-large board. Why? So UMass doesn't complain? I'm not trying to pit team vs team, and I realize this sounds bad with my Bonnies lining up with Richmond, SLU, VCU if there's chalk. But I'd be saying the same thing if the Bonnies were garbage this year.

You had an EXCUSE to use common sense and protect your at-large candidates by giving them seeds 1-2-3-4 and blaming the drastic difference in games played to seed by NET.

The WCC had the balls to do it, and they don't even need to because Gonzaga is #1 in the country.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Bona-Flyer game was a weird one. Dayton wins on the road despite Crutcher fouling out and the team committing 21 turnovers. Osunniyi was man among boys with a double double to go along with seven blocks and affected other shots as well. Welch and Lofton were off on the offensive end, Dayton's four man bench logged more minutes (i suspect by quite a bit) then any other game this season. On to Richmond.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
to clarify my comments ... Bona didn’t look good which has a lot to do with playing an insane stretch a games. I think the game should have been played though. The GW game didn’t do anything for the Bonnie’s

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Bona-Flyer game was a weird one. Dayton wins on the road despite Crutcher fouling out and the team committing 21 turnovers. Osunniyi was man among boys with a double double to go along with seven blocks and affected other shots as well. Welch and Lofton were off on the offensive end, Dayton's four man bench logged more minutes (i suspect by quite a bit) then any other game this season. On to Richmond.
For the Bona offense, it was all lack of legs. Every single shot was short. The only reason Bona lost by 3 was because of rebounding and Crutcher out. If they played 3 games that week instead of 4, it's an easy Bona win if UD turns it over 21 times and plays crunch time without Crutcher.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts