Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
much has been said about how deep our current nets team is compared to last year's but is the bench composed of

jmac, wright, murray, lj3, padgett, mjax

really better than

best, billy thomas, mercer, buford, veal, jabari smith?

i know it's still early in the season, but our old bench was almost automatic when someones left free from the outside and always had a lot of hustle in them (except mercer i guess). veal could do anything when he's hot, best was as good an on-ball defender as vaughn is, jabari was a good passer and billy thomas let it all hang out since every game could be his last in the nba.

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
That's what I'm saying. Last year we had phenominal chemistry, this year we don't. Also thses were hungry, young guys trying to prove themselves in the league, this year we got lazy veterans. If we had RJ and if Mercer was healthy last year, and if we played the way we played the last 15 games, we could have been a 50 win team. This new bench makes me sick.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
jirohkanzaki said:
much has been said about how deep our current nets team is compared to last year's but is the bench composed of

jmac, wright, murray, lj3, padgett, mjax

really better than

best, billy thomas, mercer, buford, veal, jabari smith?
This year's bench isn't great, but it's much better than last year's terrible crew.

Look at the suckitude of that list! It has to make you feel good about the Nets chances that they were able to win with those bums playing and RJ out.

The only guy I miss from that group is Best, and he's not hard to replace, either.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
We have more talent this year then last however, our problem is chemistry (something we had last year.) Our talent level is sky high, once our chemistry sets in we will be unsstopable. It is still VERY early in the season so give it a chance.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jizzy said:
That's what I'm saying. Last year we had phenominal chemistry, this year we don't. Also thses were hungry, young guys trying to prove themselves in the league, this year we got lazy veterans. If we had RJ and if Mercer was healthy last year, and if we played the way we played the last 15 games, we could have been a 50 win team. This new bench makes me sick.
that was a hell of a ride and it was real fun watching the nets chase that last playoff berth...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
last year's team had a losing record till around the last week the bench wasn't good or better

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Best was good, I liked what he did....Veal was fun to have around....Buford had a decent game about once every 4 or 5 weeks....Mercer would have been nice about 5 years ago...Jabari had that pass to RJ and he hit a three one time, that was about it....and billy thomas was one of those feel good stories about a player finally making it.

The jury is still out on the bench this year, and honestly I can't say til the season is all over. But on paper, I'd much rather have the one we have now.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I still give a lot credit to last year's bench, they came in and helped in a lot of ways to bring us to the play offs. A bunch of no names, but they played tough (the majority at least). Best and E. Williams were very valuable for us at certain parts of the season, I remember RJ saying that if we had had those two during the championship years, we could have won the whole thing.

The problem with Buford and Mercer is they weren't consistent. One of them was always either hurting or chucking the ball up. McInnis, so far, is better for this team. He brings a bit of defense, plus he can score. He's fairly consistent, whereas Buford and Mercer were not, and he can fill in at the PG roll, while Mercer and Buford were SG/SF. McInnis, Vaughn and Planinic give us solid back-ups at PG and SG, something we were lacking last year.

Wish we still had Best. I think last year, the difference we saw was Vaughn and Best played tough D off the bench. Vaughn is still around, but he doesn't get much playing time. That could be one reason we've seen the perimiter D drop?

I LOVED that past Jabari had to RJ, that was awesome. Veal, I will be forever grateful to you for that triple overtime performance you put on for us.
Over all, I'd still rather have this year's bench, but maybe add Best.

·
Registered
976 Posts
jizzy said:
Did we have the great chemistry when we were 2-12? NO! It was in the last stretch of the year, the only thing you cand do if give them time

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
The only good thing about last years bench was that they were willing listners and tried to get the system. This year it appears no one can learn it. Is it too difficult? Are they stupid? Are they so use to other systems?

·
Registered
994 Posts
How many of the last year's bench are still in the league?

Although it was fun when our opponents got "buefed" when Buford was on fire (once every few weeks, like someone said above)...

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Absolutely not. But the thing about the bench last year was that they knew their limitations and roles. Let Vince and Kidd do the work and you will get your open looks. This year its like "hey its a nice steaming hot pie, everyone dig in". This whole sharing the ball thing, I am not too fond of it

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hbwoy said:
Absolutely not. But the thing about the bench last year was that they knew their limitations and roles. Let Vince and Kidd do the work and you will get your open looks. This year its like "hey its a nice steaming hot pie, everyone dig in". This whole sharing the ball thing, I am not too fond of it
Damn right,EACH PLAYER NEEDS A ROLE.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Intense Enigma said:
Damn right,EACH PLAYER NEEDS A ROLE.
And if Vince misses a few more games, Nets should just close shop?

-Petey

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
It looks like the Nets bench is a little thinner then at this time last year, but big deal, the reason it is a little thin (and really not too bad, it's the starters that are going to have to carry this team), is because you traded a lot of depth for Carter. Would you rather have a few frontcourt players on the bench of a superstar? Trust me, you guys are better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts