Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of an elegant restaurant and the normal appetizer-salad-entree dinner lineup, Blazers management should sit the candidate down at a table with twice the number of appetizers and salads needed. And also, one half the necessary entrees. Then, someone should say, "Whaddya think, coach?"
Then, the Blazers should take the candidate to the practice-facility film room and direct a series of racial taunts at him. Then, judge his reaction.

He never misses a trick.

Out of fairness to Nash, this hiring probably isn't his baby. So whoever is making this decision needs to give the green light to, at least, start evaluating.

Is he saying that someone else (maybe Paul Allen?) is going to make the decision or that Nash's contract won't be extended?

If it's Lenny Wilkens or Doc Rivers, call them. They're free today. So are Phil Jackson and Flip Saunders.
The Blazers need to start talking about their job opening. What they don't want to do is wait, enter the summer, and realize that they wasted April and May.

The Blazers' only advantage is that they're in a position to start the hiring process today.

It looks like he thinks we're going to waste our chance to get a good coach unless we act now. That implies that no coach would take our coaching job if there was another option out there. He could be right, but I doubt it. Also, from an article about the magic coaching search ...

Would Jackson seriously consider taking over the Magic? Perhaps, if Orlando is willing to pay the price to get him, and if Jackson's agent is serious when he says his client is more interested in teaching the game than he is about taking over a ready-made contender.

If that's the case, then why not Portland? Blazers owner Paul Allen never has been afraid to spend money, and the team clearly has one of the league's most teaching-rich environments, considering not only the number of young players on the roster, but also the state-of-the-art facilities for games and practices.

... and ...

One thing appears certain: Jackson won't talk to anybody until after the season ends.

... it seems to me that we've decided that Jackson is the coach we want and we're going after him with all we've got, but we know there isn't any point in worrying about it if he won't sign with any team until the season is over.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1111316127201660.xml

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1111230357317981.xml

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
gambitnut said:
... it seems to me that we've decided that Jackson is the coach we want and we're going after him with all we've got,
I assume by "we" you mean Canzano and yourself?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MARIS61 said:
I assume by "we" you mean Canzano and yourself?
No, my point was that Canzano seems to have missed that possibility. That was my theory of what the team might be thinking. Note that I said "It seems to me" so I wasn't saying this is what the team will do, it was just my attempt to logically figure out what their plan might be. If you have another theory, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Instead of an elegant restaurant and the normal appetizer-salad-entree dinner lineup, Blazers management should sit the candidate down at a table with twice the number of appetizers and salads needed. And also, one half the necessary entrees. Then, someone should say, "Whaddya think, coach?"
That would fill me up, just fine - sounds like the same amount of food.

Is it just me or is this incredibly poor, garbled writing? Lame metaphor... "necessary entrees"? When do you think of a necessary number of salads, appetizers or entrees... isn't that "necessary number" one, or zero? Just stupid and poorly executed, IMO.

How much do they pay this guy?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blazer Ringbearer said:
That would fill me up, just fine - sounds like the same amount of food.

Is it just me or is this incredibly poor, garbled writing? Lame metaphor... "necessary entrees"? When do you think of a necessary number of salads, appetizers or entrees... isn't that "necessary number" one, or zero? Just stupid and poorly executed, IMO.

How much do they pay this guy?
I agree. I know what he was trying to say, but he did a very poor job of it, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts