Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K.C. Johnson is reporting in the tribune that:

1) The bulls interest in Harpring has intensified

2) They won't sign Harpring unless they can move ERob

3) ERob will be difficult to move because he has $25M in salay coming.

4) Krause is interested in a sign and trade involving Best.

5) The bulls are looking at signing Kevin Ollie as a "veteran point guard" (I guess Rose, Crawford, and Williams aren't enough?)

6) Crawford has tendinitis in his left knee (his right knee is the one he had surgery on) and this is why his minutes diminished in the RMR

This is just an FYI. If someone else beat me to it, I apologize for wasting space on the boards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
Thats overall, disappointing...

....as moving EROB and his overpaid salary is unlikely. I would welcome the move!! LOL:yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
No doubt Bama. If ERob and his sizable contract can be moved I would not be terribly dissapointed. I wouldn't lose any sleep at all over a move like this :sleep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
I was about to post the same question (who would take ERob?)

I could speculate on several deals that at least make some kind of sense, but in reality, I haven't heard of ANYONE saying "boy, I want ERob on my team".

Possibilities:

ERob for Christian Laettner. ERob and L8ner have similar contracts. L8ner is maddeningly inconsistent, but he also took extra time out to mentor Kwame Brown last year. He's not the jerkweed he used to be... at least, he was a good citizen in DC. He can play some 5, and would provide experienced backup for the Bulls. Moving ERob opens up space for Harpring to play. The Wiz's only real SF of note is Jared Jeffries, and I personally think he's more of a PF. Getting ERob fills a hole and getting rid of Laettner opens up some space for them to re-sign Popeye and still give their kids some PT.

Won't happen because.... MJ and Krause won't deal.

ERob for Calvin Booth . This is a swap of one overpaid, injury prone player for another. If healthy, Booth is a good defender and shotblocker. He's a long term answer as Chandler and Curry's primary backup. Of course, that's just like saying "If ERob is healthy he's a very good SF...". This trade might work, however, if Lewis decides to go to Dallas. If that happens, Seattle is in need of an athletic SF. They can take ERob, and give up Booth, who's replaceable, given that they already have two other centers who can play (Jerome James and Peja Drobjak)

Won't happen because... Lewis will re-sign, you don't trade big for small, and Booth's injury is not congenital, like ERob's.

OK, those are the best ideas I can come up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
One team that NEEDS to get more athletic is San Antonio. I'm not sure what exactly they can trade seeing as how a lot of their guys were resigned this off-season. After watching those dinosaurs plod through the play-offs with nothing but Tim Duncan that team always comes to mind when I think of Robinson. He would actually help them a lot.

However, I don't think Harpring is all that. I'm willing to give E-Rob a chance with a healthy season and see what he can do. Why blow our wad on Harpring when we can wait for something better next summer. I want to win a championship - I don't want to make a quick fix to get us out of punchline territory. Tying up Harpring for more money than he's worth isn't a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by Lizzy
One team that NEEDS to get more athletic is San Antonio. I'm not sure what exactly they can trade seeing as how a lot of their guys were resigned this off-season. After watching those dinosaurs plod through the play-offs with nothing but Tim Duncan that team always comes to mind when I think of Robinson. He would actually help them a lot.

However, I don't think Harpring is all that. I'm willing to give E-Rob a chance with a healthy season and see what he can do. Why blow our wad on Harpring when we can wait for something better next summer. I want to win a championship - I don't want to make a quick fix to get us out of punchline territory. Tying up Harpring for more money than he's worth isn't a good idea.
I haven't heard anyone suggesting Harpring would get the full exception or anything. I think the ideal would be to bring in Harpring at 2.5-3M and exchange ERob's $5.7M (or whatever exactly it is) for an expiring contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
I have a problem with the ERob trade talk. I just can't imagine any team wanting to take the risk of a guy with an oddball physical problem and 4 years remaining on a lucrative contract.

Mike DC is the most realistic I've seen. For another NBA GM to take the risk on ERob, you'd have to be trading a known mistake (e.g., Booth) for a potential disaster (ERob).

Let's keep in mind that ERob has sesamoid bone fracture that:

a) basically prevented him from playing effectively for a full season

b) has been treated only by rest...no one is sure that it's fixed

c) as far as I know, no other NBA player has ever had (so there's no track record of recovery)

It is possible that ERob will NEVER be able to be an effective NBA player. Until he puts together a full season, I think he's as close as anyone can get to being untradeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by Mikedc


I haven't heard anyone suggesting Harpring would get the full exception or anything. I think the ideal would be to bring in Harpring at 2.5-3M and exchange ERob's $5.7M (or whatever exactly it is) for an expiring contract.
That sounds right. I can deal w/ that. I was afraid of over-paying him too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by Lizzy
One team that NEEDS to get more athletic is San Antonio. I'm not sure what exactly they can trade seeing as how a lot of their guys were resigned this off-season. After watching those dinosaurs plod through the play-offs with nothing but Tim Duncan that team always comes to mind when I think of Robinson. He would actually help them a lot.

However, I don't think Harpring is all that. I'm willing to give E-Rob a chance with a healthy season and see what he can do. Why blow our wad on Harpring when we can wait for something better next summer. I want to win a championship - I don't want to make a quick fix to get us out of punchline territory. Tying up Harpring for more money than he's worth isn't a good idea.
EROB for David Robinson :D we need someone to teach chandler and curry, he would be the best out there for that (look what he has done with duncan!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Possible ERob trading partners..

San Antonio and Cleveland are trying to work a deal... maybe they could work out some sort of 3 team trade. I don't think San Antonio would do it though... I think they're gearing up to get under the cap and make a run at Jason Kidd (as well as keeping Tim Duncan). For that matter, Cleveland is trying to clear cap space as well

If you discount that fact though (who know?), you could do something like:
[pre]
CHI ERob 20.9 SAN
SAN S.Smith 36.2 CLE
SAN Daniels 12.3 CLE
SAN Smith 2.2 CHI
CLE Anderson 22.3 SAN
CLE Mihm 9.9 SAN
CLE Coles 8.1 CHI
CLE Jamison 2.4 CHI
CLE Jones 5.2 CHI

Teams Out In Ratio
CHI 20.9 17.9 14.4%
SAN 50.7 53.1 -4.7%
CLE 47.9 48.5 -1.3%

[/pre]

That seems to work under the cap and give us a bunch of short term contracts for ERob.

Charles Smith - Back to Europe for him?
Bimbo Coles - The veteran (used up) PG Krause wants
Harold Jamison - A poor man's Corie Blount
Jumaine Jones - Diamond in the rough!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Originally posted by HAWK23
where do we move EROB to?
Before the draft I proposed ERob and Dali for Jahidi White and Hubert Davis and was rejected :cry: by WizKev and BCH. Both of the Wizard players are on the market but the health of ERob was the problem(not a :eek: ). Before the draft the Wizard fan chatter was in part for a 3 with size but since they seem to be trying the new guy JJ there maybe that's no longer a need.

I don't really think Wally is a need but conceptually here's a way to move players who have had/have health problems(exchange it):

Brandon/Wally for ERob,JC/Best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Originally posted by Mikedc
I was about to post the same question (who would take ERob?)

I could speculate on several deals that at least make some kind of sense, but in reality, I haven't heard of ANYONE saying "boy, I want ERob on my team".

Possibilities:

ERob for Christian Laettner. ERob and L8ner have similar contracts. L8ner is maddeningly inconsistent, but he also took extra time out to mentor Kwame Brown last year. He's not the jerkweed he used to be... at least, he was a good citizen in DC. He can play some 5, and would provide experienced backup for the Bulls. Moving ERob opens up space for Harpring to play. The Wiz's only real SF of note is Jared Jeffries, and I personally think he's more of a PF. Getting ERob fills a hole and getting rid of Laettner opens up some space for them to re-sign Popeye and still give their kids some PT.

Won't happen because.... MJ and Krause won't deal.

ERob for Calvin Booth . This is a swap of one overpaid, injury prone player for another. If healthy, Booth is a good defender and shotblocker. He's a long term answer as Chandler and Curry's primary backup. Of course, that's just like saying "If ERob is healthy he's a very good SF...". This trade might work, however, if Lewis decides to go to Dallas. If that happens, Seattle is in need of an athletic SF. They can take ERob, and give up Booth, who's replaceable, given that they already have two other centers who can play (Jerome James and Peja Drobjak)

Won't happen because... Lewis will re-sign, you don't trade big for small, and Booth's injury is not congenital, like ERob's.

OK, those are the best ideas I can come up with.
I like ERob for Charlie Ward

Knicks have no swing man depth

It gives us our vet point

It frees up Jamal for trade without sacrificing PG depth

Salaries match perfectly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by FJ_of _Rockaway


I like ERob for Charlie Ward

Knicks have no swing man depth

It gives us our vet point

It frees up Jamal for trade without sacrificing PG depth

Salaries match perfectly

no way in hell NY does this... if they do this they have NO PGs at all, especially after Williams broke his arm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
I'm afraid of Charlie Ward. Although his contract is expiring, his tendency to spout religious stuff irritates the hell out of me. No offense to anyone that's religious, I just don't think having a guy who's bent on converting teammates is a healthy thing to have on a team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts
No offense?

Originally posted by Mikedc
I'm afraid of Charlie Ward. Although his contract is expiring, his tendency to spout religious stuff irritates the hell out of me. No offense to anyone that's religious, I just don't think having a guy who's bent on converting teammates is a healthy thing to have on a team.
Let me see, would you rather have someone who alledgedly pulls guns on his cousins and rides around at night with no lights on in his mercedez??? THAT, my friend scares me. This post is VERY offensive to me. A persons' religious preference should not be a deciding factor of someone performing any job..not just basketball. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
I totally Agree bammabull, there is no need for that kind of talk here, even though it doesnt offend me, just think about if does offend the wrong person here then this whole site could be in a mess of trouble just because of one stupid little comment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Re: No offense?

Originally posted by BamaBull


Let me see, would you rather have someone who alledgedly pulls guns on his cousins and rides around at night with no lights on in his mercedez??? THAT, my friend scares me. This post is VERY offensive to me. A persons' religious preference should not be a deciding factor of someone performing any job..not just basketball. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:
I'm sorry it offends you, but I also don't think you've quite grasped the point.

I have no problem at all with Charlie Ward's beliefs themselves. However, I do have a problem with guys who push their religious beliefs on others, especially in professional (ie work) situations. It's cool if you want to chat with your friend about your beliefs, but it's not cool to harrangue your co-workers or clients.

With regard to Ward, I'd suggest he crosses that line.

http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/2001/06/06/

Sports writer Michael Wilbon said Ward is "someone who tries to push his religious beliefs on other people, a proselytizing, self-righteous and self-absorbed character who thinks that he and a few others have tapped into the truth and that anyone who doesn't believe exactly what he believes is going straight to hell."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
See the difference?

It's not an issue of me not wanting Ward because of his beliefs. It's an issue of me not wanting a guy who's so focused in on his beliefs that he feels the need to preach to everyone else, and in doing so, cross the line into disrespecting theirs.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top