Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ben is 3rd, Andres is 9th, Deng is not listed because he has been hurt, Duhon still getting no respect.

http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/rankings_050321.html

'The Bulls bench, led by the rookie from UConn, is averaging a league-high 38.4 points per game on the season while the Bulls hold their opponents to the third lowest point total in the NBA at 25.1 points per game.'

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr.ankle20 said:
why do they still have gordon at number 3 ?
Howard: 11.0 pts, 10.0 reb, 1.67 blk, 32.1 min

Ranks #9 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.0)
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.51)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.64)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.5)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(6.5)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Double-doubles(24.0)

It's hard for me to argue that Ben should be ahead of him. Howard is doing it for a (barely) playoff team as of now, so I really don't have a problem with it.

Plus, in March, he's really stepped it up:

32.4 min, 13.5 pts, 11.8 reb, 1.67 blk

Okafor: 14.8 pts, 10.8 reb, 1.63 blk, 35.7 min

Ranks #5 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.8)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.63)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.8)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(7.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Double-doubles(35.0)

Okafor has slipped behind Howard IMO- their numbers are very similar, and Howard is doing it for a veteran-led team. I could put Ben ahead of Okafor, but for my money right now the ROY is Dwight Howard.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
bullsville said:
Howard: 11.0 pts, 10.0 reb, 1.67 blk, 32.1 min

Ranks #9 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.0)
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.51)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.64)
Ranks #5 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.5)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(6.5)
Ranks #16 in the NBA in Double-doubles(24.0)

It's hard for me to argue that Ben should be ahead of him. Howard is doing it for a (barely) playoff team as of now, so I really don't have a problem with it.

Plus, in March, he's really stepped it up:

32.4 min, 13.5 pts, 11.8 reb, 1.67 blk

Okafor: 14.8 pts, 10.8 reb, 1.63 blk, 35.7 min

Ranks #5 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.8)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(1.63)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(3.8)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(7.0)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Double-doubles(35.0)

Okafor has slipped behind Howard IMO- their numbers are very similar, and Howard is doing it for a veteran-led team. I could put Ben ahead of Okafor, but for my money right now the ROY is Dwight Howard.
I could easily formulate a counterargument for gordon however. I don't think either of the other rookies ahead of him have had teh kind of impact on their teams success that gordon is having.....

Without Howard, the Magic aren't MUCH worse than they are now.

Without gordon, the bulls have AT LEAST an additional 10 losses....

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Krakken said:
I could easily formulate a counterargument for gordon however. I don't think either of the other rookies ahead of him have had teh kind of impact on their teams success that gordon is having.....

Without Howard, the Magic aren't MUCH worse than they are now.

Without gordon, the bulls have AT LEAST an additional 10 losses....
Oh, no doubt. Howard has basically had zero responsibilities on offense, the Magic weren't running any plays for him (like it would matter when Charles Francis and Charlie Mobley are your backcourt). All he had to do most of the season was crash the offensive boards and defend, defensive rebound and block shots the best he could. Gordon has been Mr. 4th quarter, to me he deserves all his props.

But I look at Howard averaging a double-double for a playoff team playing with a lot of veterans, and I can see how people would vote for him over Gordon, who sucked earlier in the year but kept getting his chance because we had nobody else on the team who could score in the 4th quarter.

(I would pick Gordon, personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here because I can see how someone would vote for Howard)

And Okafor plays for a horrible team, but he's the safe pick, the big favorite starting last summer, and he is putting up excellent numbers. I could see people voting for him over Gordon for those reasons, but he's #3 on my list behind Ben and Howard.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
bullsville said:
Oh, no doubt. Howard has basically had zero responsibilities on offense, the Magic weren't running any plays for him (like it would matter when Charles Francis and Charlie Mobley are your backcourt). All he had to do most of the season was crash the offensive boards and defend, defensive rebound and block shots the best he could. Gordon has been Mr. 4th quarter, to me he deserves all his props.

But I look at Howard averaging a double-double for a playoff team playing with a lot of veterans, and I can see how people would vote for him over Gordon, who sucked earlier in the year but kept getting his chance because we had nobody else on the team who could score in the 4th quarter.

(I would pick Gordon, personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here because I can see how someone would vote for Howard)

And Okafor plays for a horrible team, but he's the safe pick, the big favorite starting last summer, and he is putting up excellent numbers. I could see people voting for him over Gordon for those reasons, but he's #3 on my list behind Ben and Howard.
I agree with this..... :cheers:

·
Registered
572 Posts
They are placing major emphasis on PRA (average Points + Rebounds + Assists per game).

This should tell you all you need to know about the quality of their rankings.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't agree with this at all because the Magic are not a playoff team.

The lost to the Bobcats yesterday.

Now that Dwight has been getting more responsibility, the Magic have been even worse than they were before. No doubt Howard is good, but if Gordon was on a bad team, he would be putting up 20 and 5 right now.

And I'd put that 10 more losses closer to 15.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
svanacore said:
I don't agree with this at all because the Magic are not a playoff team.

The lost to the Bobcats yesterday.

Now that Dwight has been getting more responsibility, the Magic have been even worse than they were before. No doubt Howard is good, but if Gordon was on a bad team, he would be putting up 20 and 5 right now.

And I'd put that 10 more losses closer to 15.
Thanks, I didn't notice the Magic had dropped behind the Sixers. If the Magic can continue to fall as I believe they will, Ben's got a chance to pass Howard IMO.

I don't really care about ROY, though, as long as Ben gets 6th man.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
the nba.com rookie rankings are worthless. they should be ranked according to what they PRODUCE for the week, not they're averages PERIOD.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Fortunately, the "Got Milk" rookie rankers aren't the guys who decide ROY. Are they? The most compelling argument for Ben as ROY is that without him, we miss the playoffs. Emeka and Dwight are going to miss them anyway.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
The ROY said:
the nba.com rookie rankings are worthless. they should be ranked according to what they PRODUCE for the week, not they're averages PERIOD.
Agreed . . . and not just because it reminds of the "Learn to Produce or Learn to Bag Produce" proposed board name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts