Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't feel like that thread needed to be locked. There may not be any value in further discussion at this very moment, but when things occur (dismissal, settlement, further articles by the media, etc), there most definitely will be further discussion.

I understand everybody's sensitivity to the topic at hand (I'm right there with you) so I'm not in any way trying to diminish those concerns, but IMO, I really don't think anything in the recent posts was egregious. Now, if someone started throwing names out there and the like, completely different story and I would be all for locking it.

Anyway, my $.02 for what it's worth.

By the way, thank you to all the moderators on this forum. I don't think I have ever offered up my thanks for what you guys do. I, for one, appreciate having this place to discuss everything AE hoops and then some.

Everyone continue to stay safe and have a great day!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I really don't feel like that thread needed to be locked. There may not be any value in further discussion at this very moment, but when things occur (dismissal, settlement, further articles by the media, etc), there most definitely will be further discussion.

I understand everybody's sensitivity to the topic at hand (I'm right there with you) so I'm not in any way trying to diminish those concerns, but IMO, I really don't think anything in the recent posts was egregious. Now, if someone started throwing names out there and the like, completely different story and I would be all for locking it.

Anyway, my $.02 for what it's worth.

By the way, thank you to all the moderators on this forum. I don't think I have ever offered up my thanks for what you guys do. I, for one, appreciate having this place to discuss everything AE hoops and then some.

Everyone continue to stay safe and have a great day!
I agree.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Seconded. I don't know if what I stated in there last was taken as some sort of endorsement...it was mostly calling out the people who think it's funny to crack a joke or say "lol" to an "oversight" which may sway things but also may not given that the reporter was asking for clarity on the claim and didn't seem to get much in the way of a denial that Vermont wasn't the school in question. Yes, it could change some things in how us, the public view it, but it might not. I stated as much in the last thread.

If people want to claim my reaction to someone cracking wise is taking it too serious on my part, fine, but I will never downplay the seriousness of the allegation. I think that's quite insensitive. Some people maybe need to think about that before hitting the reply button, because it does reflect on you whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
There's no reason it can't be unlocked once information has come out through a news report or court proceeding where we can discuss facts and not speculate in ways that might injure a victim.

(BTW, I'm not a mod).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sad that the thread was locked. When this school is officially named (I think we all know the school) if it is I would hope that we're able to have a discussion about this.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Seconded. I don't know if what I stated in there last was taken as some sort of endorsement...it was mostly calling out the people who think it's funny to crack a joke or say "lol" to an "oversight" which may sway things but also may not given that the reporter was asking for clarity on the claim and didn't seem to get much in the way of a denial that Vermont wasn't the school in question. Yes, it could change some things in how us, the public view it, but it might not. I stated as much in the last thread.

It was an email correspondence. Hopefully the reporter pursues the obvious follow-up question -- "I'm not asking for case specifics, I'm asking whether UVM is the school involved". That said, it is really tough to be a reporter in a small town -- people don't appreciate hard questions and you only get one shot at the king. If you lose your access, you've lost your job and maybe your career.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm ok with the locking. It's a witch hunt to begin with. What's to be gained until the school is legally unmasked? Nothing but a lot of needless conjecture.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,732 Posts

If people want to claim my reaction to someone cracking wise is taking it too serious on my part, fine, but I will never downplay the seriousness of the allegation. I think that's quite insensitive. Some people maybe need to think about that before hitting the reply button, because it does reflect on you whether you like it or not.
I honestly have no idea why you brought the issue here in the first place if you were concerned about the alleged victim's identity.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I honestly have no idea why you brought the issue here in the first place if you were concerned about the alleged victim's identity.
So you're saying an America East member being accused of negligence in how it handled a rape accusation against a basketball player isn't news? You do realize we can discuss details of the case, and which schools it may be, without needing to identify the victim, right? You know, like what appears to be a grossly inadequate and shameful response by the accused AE school's athletic department, which is the basis of the suit? Two totally different things.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,732 Posts
News? Yes, but it's not really a discussion topic. That would require there be two sides to argue. You brought it here to get the media's attention. In that you got what you were going for, but human nature being what it is, more attention to the issue means more attention to who the victim might be. You would have been better off just contacting a media person directly.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
News? Yes, but it's not really a discussion topic. That would require there be two sides to argue. You brought it here to get the media's attention. In that you got what you were going for, but human nature being what it is, more attention to the issue means more attention to who the victim might be. You would have been better off just contacting a media person directly.
Wow. Someone's reaching. But you go ahead and think what you want about my intent. It's wrong, but go for it, because what you're saying truly is not a discussion topic.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I have to agree with Catpower that without over-imaginveing the AE school involved and the identity of the individuals involved there is a serious news component here, and that is the disgusting actions of the AD of the involved school, assuming the legal document that was linked here is true and accurate. As described, that AD should be out in the parking lot with all their stuff in a cardboard box and a very firmly implanted boot mark on their butt within seconds of confirmation.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,732 Posts
I agree it's a news item. However everyone saying they agree isn't much of a discussion.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is absolutly ridiculous that the thread was locked. We had an alleged rape occur at an AE school by an AE basketball player, an administration that apparently did everything they possibly could to make reporting the alledged rape as difficult and unclear as possible, tried to shame the alleged victim and an apparent administration that was flippant about the alleged rape.... all of this and you dont think this is something that should be discussed on an AE basketball fan forum? Get out of here.

Don't out or try to out the victim or player. end of story.

I wish people were this sensitive to felonies and administration coverups during the 2008/2009 season.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Every single one of those guys were mentioned by name either in police reports or Thamel's reporting. That's why they were discussed openly.

It's not the same thing and that should be obvious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not true. No one was mentioned in a police report at all when thamel began investigating the program and writing articles. That didnt stop anyone on this board from commenting and making judgements.

this situation is even worse! a women went to school officials saying she was raped by a basketball player and the school officials gave her the run around because the community enjoyed watching a good team but dont anyone dare talk about it.

Think about that. Pete thamel wrote 10 articles about binghamton and the administration before a single issue but not one about a women allegedly being raped and the administration covering it up. Not one! Hell he went after the program before any of those guys were on campus.

So we can only talk about a fellow student being raped if her name is in the public domain, which may never happen even if she wins her lawsuit?

Sounds like we are sweeping this under the rug just like the school did. We are all adult we can speak about a topic without outing victims.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,732 Posts
Not true. No one was mentioned in a police report at all when thamel began investigating the program and writing articles. That didnt stop anyone on this board from commenting and making judgements.

this situation is even worse! a women went to school officials saying she was raped by a basketball player and the school officials gave her the run around because the community enjoyed watching a good team but dont anyone dare talk about it.

Think about that. Pete thamel wrote 10 articles about binghamton and the administration before a single issue but not one about a women allegedly being raped and the administration covering it up. Not one! Hell he went after the program before any of those guys were on campus.

So we can only talk about a fellow student being raped if her name is in the public domain, which may never happen even if she wins her lawsuit?

Sounds like we are sweeping this under the rug just like the school did. We are all adult we can speak about a topic without outing victims.
So....your mad that Vermont is not getting shit on the way Binghamton did during it's disgrace. My unasked for advice is to be patient. That time is coming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So....your mad that Vermont is not getting shit on the way Binghamton did during it's disgrace. My advice is to be patient. That time is coming.
Again, I would suggest we need to be careful about making pronouncements about GUILT as these are ALLEGATIONS. Certainly they are serious but let’s not jump into conclusions absent a fuller picture. Presumably facts will emerge, then we can ‘have at it’. And that is IF there are no legitimate limitations about what the public can know. At times, for the instance, the alleged victim asks not to have the information made public. Absent criminal charges, which usually opens the door to lots of in formation, we may never get to see the critical detail.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts