Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
One of the things I don’t get about this whole deal is that they file a complaint that keeps the university and the two individuals involved anonymous but then proceeds to divulge enough information to allow any amateur detective to get close to figuring it all out. I don’t know whether all of that information is somehow required to be included but it kind of defeats the purpose of anonymity for those involved.

I‘m indifferent about whether the thread stays open but it seems to me that the known facts have been pretty well sifted through. So until any new information is released, the potential downside of having in-depth online conversations about this probably outweighs the upside, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've done some of my own sleuthing and have gone back in the archives. There was a poster who seemed to think all the punished Binghamton players were just misguided youth who just were misunderstood. It is my belief that Barneybearcat is a new user profile for the original BingBoner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So....your mad that Vermont is not getting shit on the way Binghamton did during it's disgrace. My unasked for advice is to be patient. That time is coming.
yes and no. i dont care that vermont inst getting shit i just think that we should be able to speak about it as long as we do not out or try to out student athletes who could be innocent or could have went through a horrible experience. that would not be right.

That being said i do feel that someone potentially was raped and outside one or two articles from a local newspaper , noone has the guts to investigate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well if he went back and read it all, good for him I guess.
You do not have to read these message boards to know that binghamton had a ton of bad press back in 08/09. i apologize for thinking that an alleged rape would get the same amount of press as a student athlete stealing condoms from walmart.

Also have you ever heard of the phrase "long time listener, first time caller." Tom Dempsey was my tipping point that made me want to "call" in.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
yes and no. i dont care that vermont inst getting shit i just think that we should be able to speak about it as long as we do not out or try to out student athletes who could be innocent or could have went through a horrible experience. that would not be right.

That being said i do feel that someone potentially was raped and outside one or two articles from a local newspaper , noone has the guts to investigate.
I guess I'm looking for some clarification as to what you're looking for.

I know what you DON'T want: the name of the victim, and the name of the alleged perpetrator. Agreed. That's not for here.

But we have the lawsuit, and the claims therein. And we know from them (or at least can responsibly infer from them)...

-In addition to withholding her own name, the victim has chosen to withhold the name of the institution she attends, in part out of fear of retribution.
-The institution itself is not a defendant in the lawsuit, the NCAA is. And there is no evidence to date that the institution itself is the subject of any separate legal action.
-According to the lawsuit, there is no evidence she contacted the police regarding the matter. Thus, there may not be a police report to go off of.
-The institution most believe is the one referenced in the lawsuit was reached out to, and issued a statement effectively of no comment.

So knowing what we have, and knowing what you don't want, what are you looking for?

I'm sorry some bad actors in Binghamton's past really screwed things up for a lot of people. But the difference here is that those bad actors made it really easy for everyone to implicate them.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
One of the things I don’t get about this whole deal is that they file a complaint that keeps the university and the two individuals involved anonymous but then proceeds to divulge enough information to allow any amateur detective to get close to figuring it all out. I don’t know whether all of that information is somehow required to be included but it kind of defeats the purpose of anonymity for those involved.

I‘m indifferent about whether the thread stays open but it seems to me that the known facts have been pretty well sifted through. So until any new information is released, the potential downside of having in-depth online conversations about this probably outweighs the upside, at least in my opinion.
Here's the thing that people aren't really getting with respect to the anonymity of the woman and her school and why the AE school is even involved ...

This lawsuit is about holding the NCAA and it's deep-pocketed membership responsible for creating a culture of the abuse of women in their athletic departments. It has nothing to do with the America East and whichever school is involved. Much of what is alleged at Nebraska and Michigan State is well known, and some of it happened years ago. None of it happened during the 2019-20 school year.

The NCAA has made some attempts to address the issue over the past few years. This is where the AE situation comes in. The NCAA would want to defend itself by saying "Look, we put X, Y and Z in place, we are not ignoring the situation..." The AE case happened during the current academic year and after anything the NCAA can claim to have put in place. Including the AE case allows all of the plaintiffs to allege that the NCAA didn't take the situation seriously because anything that they put in place still didn't protect the AE student nor did it stop the AE school's athletic department and athletic director from engaging in deplorable behavior.

With respect to identifying the univerity involved...

If the student wanted to press criminal charges against the basketball player, she likely would have already. If she wants to sue her university, she still has that option but as far as we know she has not done so. This doesn't mean that the incident didn't happen. Nor does it mean that it did happen.

The likelihood here is that the AE student will never be named and that the AE school is also unlikely to be named. Most lawsuits are settled and never see a courtroom.

You should have no expectation that the local media in any of the AE towns (with the likely exception of Baltimore and perhaps Stony Brook) would ever aggressively pursue a negative story on one of their schools as an exclusive. The reporters assigned to cover sports are just local people who have lives in their community. They publish positive stories about the school and the school grants them more access. If they go the other way and the school restricts access, their job gets harder to the point of being unachievable. Try to accuse the Athletic Director of despicable behavior and miss, and your days in town are done -- you only get one shot at the king. And there's not even any upside for many of the reporters of taking a shot and being right.

In the case of Binghamton, I'm sure the Press & Sun-Bulletin reporter at the time knew of many issues including some that never made the light of day. But it wasn't until the NYT started making noise that they could even risk asking anything other than a softball question.

So, I'll go back to what I said the day that this broke. If you really want to know whether your school is involved, you need to call and ask them. And you can't give up like the BFP reporter apparently did when the school tells you that they "can't divulge specifics of the case". You just have to say that you're not asking for specifics, just whether or not U of XYZ is the unnamed school and if they are, what they are doing about it.

If it matters to you that this may have happened at your school then you have to agitate in order to ensure that your university is doing the right thing with the money you donate or spend on tickets and swag. Because nobody else is going to do it. I was giving a few thousand dollars a year in donations to the university and the athletic department at Binghamton before the scandals broke. Based on how my life has changed in the 11 ensuing years, I'd probably be giving 10 times that today. Instead, I cut them off back when the scandal broke telling them that I'd never give another penny to the school unless they cleaned up their act. When they put Joel Thirer in the Hall of Fame I cut them off forever. I'd still like to see the student-athletes there do well because I enjoyed four years there as a student-athlete myself - but my donating days are finished.

The AE school in this case may or may not have a problem. When only one side of the story is told, of course the school and the AD look terrible. If you're concerned that it may be your school and that they may have dirty hands then you have to ask. But don't go waiting for the local press to do it, nor for ESPN to do a deep dive because neither of those is likely to happen.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I just hope the thread wasn't locked because of the school all signs point to. The arrogance of a lot of those fans who should probably get their own message board drives me crazy and if it is that school which all signs point it is and it does become public I hope those folks will hold their beloved school accountable.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts