Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Not for a while. As I have said many times, his competition is much better than people are going to admit.

Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Andre Kirilenko, Carmelo Anthony, Lamar Odom, Amare Stoudemire, Elton Brand, Dirk Nowitzki, Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Tyson Chandler, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Mickael Pietrus, Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Michael Redd, Richard Hamilton, Stephon Marbury, Mike Bibby, Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson...

Quite a few of these guys are going to step in Lebron James' way to the top. If he steps up and dominates the league and becomes the best player in the league, then that means one of two things, a) the stars at the top of the league, weren't as good as we thought they were or b) Lebron James is really the chosen one so to speak.

I am still of the opinion that as good as he is, he will not be the best player in the NBA for at least 5-8 years, if ever. Usually, when someone can bet on the field over one favorite, their odds are immense. I'll go with my odds.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I see him being better than Kobe and T-Mac within 2 years max. He'll have to win championships to get ahead of KG, Duncan, and Shaq though.

And those guys will probably retire before Lebron's got a championship team around him. But you never know. Maybe Luke Jackson and Verajao are the start of a future championship nucleus.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
Not for a while. As I have said many times, his competition is much better than people are going to admit.

Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Andre Kirilenko, Carmelo Anthony, Lamar Odom, Amare Stoudemire, Elton Brand, Dirk Nowitzki, Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Tyson Chandler, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Mickael Pietrus, Gilbert Arenas, Richard Jefferson, Michael Redd, Richard Hamilton, Stephon Marbury, Mike Bibby, Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson...

Quite a few of these guys are going to step in Lebron James' way to the top. If he steps up and dominates the league and becomes the best player in the league, then that means one of two things, a) the stars at the top of the league, weren't as good as we thought they were or b) Lebron James is really the chosen one so to speak.

I am still of the opinion that as good as he is, he will not be the best player in the NBA for at least 5-8 years, if ever. Usually, when someone can bet on the field over one favorite, their odds are immense. I'll go with my odds.
The 05-06 season. I think he will put up about 25-7ppg/7rpg/7apg. Hell, he could average 25/7/10 in 2 years. Jackson and Gooden will both be better and could score better, meaning more assists. This guy is gonna be great.

:fire: :fire:*Zips up flame suit*:fire: :fire:

BFreak.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Freak</b>!
The 05-06 season. I think he will put up about 25-7ppg/7rpg/7apg. Hell, he could average 25/7/10 in 2 years. Jackson and Gooden will both be better and could score better, meaning more assists. This guy is gonna be great.

:fire: :fire:*Zips up flame suit*:fire: :fire:

BFreak.
Hells yeah. That's what I'm talking 'bout!

Rock on BFreak.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You know when he first came into the league i really thought he could be somethign special, now i have my doubts about bron being the best in the league.

Heres why.

1) They dont play him to his strengths. Silas is trying to push him into the 2guard kobe/michael role. Bron is so much more than a perimeter scorer. Hes so much bigger and more court aware.

I think they should shift him back to that point forward role. Get him into the post more and tell him to focus on his rebounding. With his skill set he should be helping his teamates so much more in all other aspects of basketball. I hate the whole play him at 2 to conserve his energy crap.

Keep his minutes to 34 a game, keep him fresh, and make him play 110% for those whole 34. Let him push the break, rebound with energy and get everyone involved. Silas is pushing Lebron to be too much of a scorer, and who knows maybe thats what lebron wants as well.

But he could be SO much more. It would be a shame to see lebron end up being a scoring title holder on a losing team.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shazha</b>!
You know when he first came into the league i really thought he could be somethign special, now i have my doubts about bron being the best in the league.

Heres why.

1) They dont play him to his strengths. Silas is trying to push him into the 2guard kobe/michael role. Bron is so much more than a perimeter scorer. Hes so much bigger and more court aware.

I think they should shift him back to that point forward role. Get him into the post more and tell him to focus on his rebounding. With his skill set he should be helping his teamates so much more in all other aspects of basketball. I hate the whole play him at 2 to conserve his energy crap.

Keep his minutes to 34 a game, keep him fresh, and make him play 110% for those whole 34. Let him push the break, rebound with energy and get everyone involved. Silas is pushing Lebron to be too much of a scorer, and who knows maybe thats what lebron wants as well.

But he could be SO much more. It would be a shame to see lebron end up being a scoring title holder on a losing team.
I agree with this. He should not be playing close to 40 minutes a game. Give him 34 and tell him to go balls out, making things happen for his teammates.

Silas will be fired before Lebron ascends to that level.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I really dont think bron will ever average more than 6.5 assists, which is still a decent figure. Even 6 would be great, its not a knock on his passing ability, its just if hes going to be scoring so much, he'd need alot of shots.

And on top of that, if hes going to be dishing out so many dimes, well damn, they'd have to run EVERY play through him and that makes the team way too predictable. Not to mention makes other team mates go cold.

Thats one of the reasons orlando does so bad, thats why decent players on the magic cant his a jump shot off a Tmac dish, because they all stand around cold as ice. Run a motion, run more screens get everyone involved with the passing now thats good basketball. Not just standing around watching one person make it happen.

I think brons rebounding figures could really skyrocket, especially now that boozer is gone. Silas has told bron to hit the boards harder this year i heard.

22.5 points 6.7 boards and 5.9 assists sounds good for a second year player. I'd be very happy with that if they can rack up more wins.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Of course we all want to join your club.

Shazha, I think you're overstating Lebron's role as a scorer.

Here's why Lebron can get the higher assist numbers:
Fast...BREAK!

If he commits to the defensive glass, there's no reason he can't become like Jason Kidd in ripping down rebounds and getting steals and getting it out into the open floor.

This of course, will all be helped once Z is moved out to pasture and you get a big man like Diop...or if they could somehow get Sam Dahlembert from Philly.

I would expect Silas to find more ways to use Lebron than he did last year. It's an adjustment for him too. Lebron's not an easy player to coach, just because there hasn't been anyone like him before for most coaches. Finding the best way to maxamize his talents and maxamize the team by proxy is definitely a challenge, and nothing to be sneered at.

But expect since Snow and Mcinnis are now going to be play with Lebron, that Lebron gets more consistent touches in the offense. Those two guys know where their bread is buttered. It won't be like how Kevin Ollie was, where he wouldn't even look for Lebron.

And as far as the minutes, I think there's no reason he can't go between 36-38 minutes a night depending on the situation. Kid has amazing stamina.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Of course we all want to join your club.

Shazha, I think you're overstating Lebron's role as a scorer.

Here's why Lebron can get the higher assist numbers:
Fast...BREAK!

If he commits to the defensive glass, there's no reason he can't become like Jason Kidd in ripping down rebounds and getting steals and getting it out into the open floor.

This of course, will all be helped once Z is moved out to pasture and you get a big man like Diop...or if they could somehow get Sam Dahlembert from Philly.

I would expect Silas to find more ways to use Lebron than he did last year. It's an adjustment for him too. Lebron's not an easy player to coach, just because there hasn't been anyone like him before for most coaches. Finding the best way to maxamize his talents and maxamize the team by proxy is definitely a challenge, and nothing to be sneered at.

But expect since Snow and Mcinnis are now going to be play with Lebron, that Lebron gets more consistent touches in the offense. Those two guys know where their bread is buttered. It won't be like how Kevin Ollie was, where he wouldn't even look for Lebron.

And as far as the minutes, I think there's no reason he can't go between 36-38 minutes a night depending on the situation. Kid has amazing stamina.
Its funny that you mention that. I could never understand for the life of me how Ollie would look ANYBODY off, much less Lebron

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
personally i dont think he will be the best in the league for some time. Top 5 no doubt, but I think he will be the "SPECIAL PLAYER" in the league. But he defintiley will be the most MARKETABLE player in the league. No doubt about that

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Its hard to say he'll undoubtedly be the best player in the league when hes only 19 now, but I think he'll be a legit MVP candidate in about 4-5 years. If everything goes perfect, it could be 2-3 years. I expect a rocky season or two though, and usually those are the type of seasons essential to the overall growth of a player.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Depends how he does this year. If he only improves incrementally this season (when he'll be 20 years old), I don't think he'll ever be the best player in the league. Of course this is all very difficult to predict, but my belief is that physically he's already as mature as he's going to be, or close to it. Today's great guards and forwards weren't physically mature when they entered the league unless they entered in late (and "late" nowadays is 22 years old). Most great players in league history have gotten better as they aged because they physically matured. And a lot of them also got better with increased minutes. LeBron played 40 mpg last season and is already about as physically mature as he's going to be (any bigger and he'd be a PF).

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
Depends how he does this year. If he only improves incrementally this season (when he'll be 20 years old), I don't think he'll ever be the best player in the league. Of course this is all very difficult to predict, but my belief is that physically he's already as mature as he's going to be, or close to it. Today's great guards and forwards weren't physically mature when they entered the league unless they entered in late (and "late" nowadays is 22 years old). Most great players in league history have gotten better as they aged because they physically matured. And a lot of them also got better with increased minutes. LeBron played 40 mpg last season and is already about as physically mature as he's going to be (any bigger and he'd be a PF).

THe only thing about this is that his numbers are already incredible, 21ppg 6boards near 6assists how much better can they reasonably be without putting him into top 5 player status next year?

The top 2 guards in the league Kobe/Tmac are right around those numbers with more scoring (and more shots). So if he maintained the 6 & 6 but put up slightly more scoring he would already be in Tmac/Kobe status in his 2nd season out of highschool which would be unprecedented...

His defense will be what I think could show how great he will or will not become, for his shortcomings he is great in the passing lanes and showed in the olympics he can lock down and press. To be the best, he will have to play both sides IMO.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Benedict_Boozer</b>!

THe only thing about this is that his numbers are already incredible, 21ppg 6boards near 6assists how much better can they reasonably be without putting him into top 5 player status next year?

The top 2 guards in the league Kobe/Tmac are right around those numbers with more scoring (and more shots). So if he maintained the 6 & 6 but put up slightly more scoring he would already be in Tmac/Kobe status in his 2nd season out of highschool which would be unprecedented...

His defense will be what I think could show how great he will or will not become, for his shortcomings he is great in the passing lanes and showed in the olympics he can lock down and press. To be the best, he will have to play both sides IMO.
LeBron has to worry about passing Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, etc. before he can think about reaching and surpassing Kobe and T-Mac.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts