Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came as a result of a thread on the Knicks board about where to put LeBron James if we drafted him. Which brings up three interesting arguments for where he should play.

PG: Reports say he has tremendous ball-handling skills, and amazing court vision similar to some guy named Magic. Would match up very-well size wise, sort of like an early Penny Hardaway.

SF: Is just about prototype size (6'8" 212 lbs.) and has the basketball smarts to play there, along with the scoring touch. Would probably represent an Pistons Grant Hill.

SG: This makes the most sense to me. He has a few inches on most others, besides McGrady. Since he'd be playing against the best (Iverson, Carter, Kobe, McGrady, Pierce, etc.) he would have the opportunity to grow more quickly. Has multiple offensive threats, and would be playing against the best-of-the-best every night.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
primarily at shooting guard but in any given evening he probably would spend some time at all 3

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not much difference between SG and SF on the offensive end.

As far as PG, only Magic and Isiah have been ready to play there as 20 year olds. If he can play PG right out of HS, That'd POSSIBLY make him the best ever. Even MJ couldn't do that.

On defense you'd probably put him on the weakest offensive player until he learns the league, get respect from the refs, and grows into a mans body.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>I'm Just Saying</b>!
On defense you'd probably put him on the weakest offensive player until he learns the league, get respect from the refs, and grows into a mans body.
Too late for that he already has a mans body 6' 7 3/4" 228 pds

I think hes gonna wind either at the 1 or 3. I dont think he'll be shooting guard

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I think the 2 or 3 are his best fit. But I mean if he could play the one, can you imagine? Another Magic type player would tear through the league right now. I would love to see him play the one on the Knicks and get them back into the playoffs. I see it alot more realistic that he will end up at the 2 or possibly the 3 depending on what the team who drafts him needs. Looking at the 3 teams who have the best shot, this is where I think he will end up on the respective teams.

1) Knicks - PG
2) Nuggets - SG
3) Cavs - SG?

Im not sure about the Cavs because I see Wagner as more of a sg than a pg, kind of like Iverson. There is also Ricky Davis and Miles to think about as well. He could very well end up at the point there as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
James should enter the NBA as a small foward, which requires the least to learn initially and uses athleticism the most.On some teams, like Orlando, they play guys who can play, and just match them up defensively as best they can.He will never be a point guard on any consistent basis. The way he jumps, that would be wasted.He is a couple of years away from reaching his potential.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
If he can play the point, and doesnt, that would be the real waste. Guys who can jump out of the gym are a dime a dosen these days. Being able to play the point succesfully and having that much of a height advantage is far more important.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Too late for that he already has a mans body 6' 7 3/4" 228 pds

I think hes gonna wind either at the 1 or 2. I dont think he'll be shooting guard
What are you talking about, the shooting guard is the 2.

Also Height and Size don't make you a man. Eddie Curry has a BIG body but it's not a man's body yet.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>I'm Just Saying</b>!

What are you talking about, the shooting guard is the 2.

Also Height and Size don't make you a man. Eddie Curry has a BIG body but it's not a man's body yet.
WHOA calm down I made a mistake. I meant to put 3. I never said height and size made you a man. The statement was "James has to grow into a mans body". My response was. He already has one.

Relax.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
dont put james at point guard, you'l screw up his ankles like other big point guards ala penny, hill, ron harper, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts