Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this article:
http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein/1446615.html

If Darko Milicic is allowed in the draft, he would be the #2 pick. For the time being, this is only a hypothetical situation but for the sake of this thread, assume it will be a reality. If the right team won the lottery, could you see him being drafted over James?

Do not laugh at me, I am sure this is comical. Everybody wants James because according the NBA scouts, he is better than Kobe and T-Mac were at that age. If James lives up to his potential, he could (if all things go right), eclipse both players. This is why Lebron-mania has swept the country.

On the other hand, Milicic is often said to be the best super forward (7 foot versatile power forwards) ever from Europe. The report says he is better than Gasol or Dirk were at that age. So you would be getting a player who could play 5 positions (skill-wise).

I know the draft will reflect the need of the individual team. But if James and Milicic live up to their hype, both will be franchise players.

Again, the word here is potential. Both will be young players, who might need 2 or 3 years to develop (a la Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady).

Your take on this?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Working in the Hedge fund business

I would say that Millicis has the biggest return and least downside
risk.

He is 7ft, can play all five positions. Has been playing professional for a while against man.

James is 6'8, older, bad wrist and athletically is not a freak. I doubt he will be as good as Kobe and no way will he be another Magic.

Every year there is another can't miss high school baller, but you never know until they face real good competition.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would love to see Darko get into the 2003 draft. He is probably more 'ready' than LeBron is, as most Europeans are ready at an earlier age.

Wouldn't it be great if Darko and LeBron turned into a Magic-Bird rivalry for the 2000's? The upset of the US in the World's kind of fuels the fire as an American and a European strive to become the 'next big thing' in the NBA. I bet David Stern is figuring out a way to get them on opposite coasts, playing for big market teams ;)

I doubt the NBA will make an exception, however. They rarely bend thier rules.

Hitman

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This question reminds me of another: "Imagine it's 1998 and you'd have the #1 pick. Who would you take, Nowitzki or Carter?"

I think you can't say who's better (Carter/Nowitzki as well as James/Milicic), both will be franchise players. The team with the first pick in 2003 will draft what they need.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is it just me or is the LeBron James hype starting to fizzle?

benfica- I don't know much about James' game, but I thought one of his main assets was that he was a FREAK. How did you come by the opinion that he's not?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
He was injuried for a while, that could be part of why the hype died down.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Freak - His vertical is like 32

Now I know he is still young, but how much more could he go up.

They say he resembles Magic Johnson in skill level, well thats a stretch. Magic not only had skill, but his BB IQ was off the charts.

At that age it is too early to tell what kind of player he will be. Everybody is going off potential and what he did at some major camps.

I need to see it for myself against real good competition. He is already a super star without even scoring an NBA point.

I remember when Felipi Lopez and Albert King were the next great ones..among others.

Also, the pressure on Lebron is going to be huge. I might catch a few games and see for myself. They are expecting huge NBA type crowds for all his games. This remind me of the Damon Baily hype too where he drew huge crowds.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
As for the Bird verus Magic

Thats interesting, if they both live up to their potential. I wonder if the NBA is smart enough to exploit that. This might be what the NBA needs right now.

The Hype both these players are getting is unreal. We don't hear about Milicic as much, but Milicic already has rock star status in Europe. I would be very surprise if the Euroleague lets him go and ends up giving him huge soccer player type salary. Doesn't make any sense that Europe will just let him come over that easy. Barcelona can afford to pay him as much as any NBA team.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow that would be huge if Millicic spurned the NBA. Foreign guys have done so before but never under today's context in which the league is so eager to recruit overseas. It could be a major turning point.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If he comes over it will not be for the money

He will actually lose money by coming over. It it be more for playing in the world's best league. Because he will get the dollars there.

But you know the Euroleage.net is the world's second best BB league and it is just a matter of time before they start going after the super star players and a bidding war will start.

The NBA is starting to loss that mystic due to the loss of US in the world stage.

As someone who was brought up in Europe, sports is huge there. The fans go crazy and they love beating up on another country.

I predict the Euroleague will be the best league in the world in 10 years. Look how huge soccer is over there.

BTW: for the Celtics fans rookie Darius Songalia, nailed 10 of 17 two-pointers and finished with 29 points in a recent game.

Euroleague.net interview. "The game style is very fast," Mottola said. "Everyone plays a passing game. If a player doesn't shoot, he passes quickly. There is not too much isolation or holding the ball. It has been hard to adjust to that, but I am trying

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: If he comes over it will not be for the money

Originally posted by <b>benfica</b>!
He will actually lose money by coming over. It it be more for playing in the world's best league. Because he will get the dollars there.

But you know the Euroleage.net is the world's second best BB league and it is just a matter of time before they start going after the super star players and a bidding war will start.

The NBA is starting to loss that mystic due to the loss of US in the world stage.

As someone who was brought up in Europe, sports is huge there. The fans go crazy and they love beating up on another country.

I predict the Euroleague will be the best league in the world in 10 years. Look how huge soccer is over there.

BTW: for the Celtics fans rookie Darius Songalia, nailed 10 of 17 two-pointers and finished with 29 points in a recent game.

Euroleague.net interview. "The game style is very fast," Mottola said. "Everyone plays a passing game. If a player doesn't shoot, he passes quickly. There is not too much isolation or holding the ball. It has been hard to adjust to that, but I am trying
Come on. Are you serious?. This won't happen. At least not in 10 years. Anyway I would love it. Not just because of having the best league at home, but because of the superior importance of the team playing and fundamentals in Europe, and mixed with the best talents of the world, would make the game much more attractive.

It's funny. I remember that just a year ago or so, if somebody said that European leagues were better than college basketball, he will have his *** kicked by many American people. And today, not only they don't have any doubt about the superior level in Europe, but they could also read what you (are you really American?) have written and not answer. How quickly can things change....

By the way, Mottola is having serious problems of adjustment to the European game not only because of the passing game, but also because of his deffensive and rebounding level.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
nope

Darko Milicic isn't eligible for the 2003 draft because his birthday is too late. I would take Lebron over him anyways, though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: nope

Originally posted by <b>rwj333</b>!
Darko Milicic isn't eligible for the 2003 draft because his birthday is too late. I would take Lebron over him anyways, though.
Darko is filing for an exception to get in the 2003 draft, and....

Have you seen either one of them play?

Hitman

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
the comparison is very difficult. as for carter vs. dirk, i'd go with carter. his short term payoffs have been huge, except for last season of course. the same probably goes for lebron, he will draw huge revenues to the team he is drafted by.
i know little about darko other than draft profiles...
as for lebron, i think the very fact that he isn't an athletic freak (despite his great athleticism) and the fact that he has long been porjected by the very best scouts in the world to go number 1 is a testiment to his amazin skill level.
i have only seen a few highlights, including akron vs. oak hill ( and would be happy to share if someone could fill me in), but lebron looks pretty amazing in all aspects of the game.
i don't know if darko will be more nba ready, but will probably put up better scoring numbers in his first season.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Re: If he comes over it will not be for the money

Originally posted by <b>benfica</b>!

do you really feel the outcome would have been the same if the NBA brought in their FIRST TEAM?

pg-jason kidd-gary payton
sg-kobe bryant-tracy mcgrady
sf-kevin garnett-paul pierce-vince carter
pf-tim duncan-chris webber-kevin garnett
c-shaquille oneal-tim duncan

man, the world is getting very cocky, i think we need to send out the "A" team next time to teach these guys a lesson

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Re: Re: If he comes over it will not be for the money

Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!

do you really feel the outcome would have been the same if the NBA brought in their FIRST TEAM?

man, the world is getting very cocky, i think we need to send out the "A" team next time to teach these guys a lesson
Hey Johnny, no one is doubting that USA has the best players in the world.

But you heve to agree with me that a couple of years before, the team USA send to the WC would won without problems. The world is getting near, the gap is closing very fast. USA used to win with their College guys.

The world isn't getting cocky, they are only improving.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Back to the original thread

LeBron James and his St.V team plays a really tough schedule against about 6 teams ranked in the top 25 by Street and Smith's magazine. One of the games is against Oak Hill (for the third year in a row). Oak Hill has beaten St. V's the past two years, and this year the two teams play in Cleveland and the game is to be televised nationally on ESPN2. I think the game is like Dec. 12th. (By the way, St.V's also goes out to California to play #1 ranked Mate Dei).

Anyway, James does NOT play like a freak in my opinion... he is athletic for his size, but he is not like Vince Carter in his game. He does play a very smart offensive game when he has the ball in his hand. He is an excellant passer and a good outside shooter and good dribbler for his size. I've felt that his game is more like a healthy Grant Hill's.

Keep in mind that he is obviously the best player on his team.... which has a down-side too. It would be the same as if a bunch of us were on a team with Shaq or T-Mac. We would tend to defer shots to T-Mac, or just try to stay out of his way. And T-Mac would hesitate to make passes if he thought we couldn't handle them, or he wouldn't bother to make certain breaks to the basket because he'd figure we wouldn't be able to react quick enough. And on defense, T-mac would probably tend to NOT cover his own man as tight as he could, knowing that he would be needed as much if not more to lend support to the rest of us. This isn't to crack on me or anyone's basketball talent... I personally think I'm a good player, but look at it even a different way.... if YOU were playing basketball with a bunch of 6th graders... you personally would totally dominate. But would you be able to use all your skills? No. Your passes would have to be sharper yet softer. When you made your backdoor break, your team-mate would probably not be ready to get you the ball. You would always be leaving your man on defense to help out on the other side of the key.

This then, is where the increased upside comes for LeBron. Sure he will continue to grow from a boy to a man. He will learn the game even better. His shot will improve. But playing with better team-mates will also bring out an even better side of him. His current team-mates are not stiffs. One, Dru Joyce Jr. has already committed to D1 U of Akron. Another will probably go D1 too. But he is clearly NOT playing on a team like Oak Hill which can and has sent 4 or 5 starters, plus 1 or 2 benchers on to D1... or like the group from Columbus Brookhaven which beat St. V's in the state finals last year... they have 4 starters signed to D1's. There is more upside for the kid.... he may not be MJ or Magic, but the kid has skills, and he'll get better too. And better team-mates will facilitate this.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Re: If he comes over it will not be for the money

Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!

God, I hate posts like this.

Do I think the US would have lost if Shaq, Kobe, Kidd and Garnett played. I am not sure. I would tend to say that no, they wouldn't.

But did the US lose once?

No. They lost three times. They finished in sixth place in the World Championships. What is to say that one close loss will not disillusion the US team in Athens, the way one loss totally disillusioned the team in Indianapolis?

Will the US be favored in 2004 if they bring the so called 'A' team? Absolutely. Will they win the gold? If I were a betting man, I would put a couple of bucks on it.

Will they definitely win. No. Argentina will be better. Spain will be better. Germany will be better. Canada will be better. Yugoslavia will be better. They will all be close games, that will come down to the last couple of minutes. Just as basketball should be. I hate to tell you, but the US is not teaching anybody a lesson in 2004, even if they win. The European teams taught the US a lesson at the worlds. The lesson? How to play team basketball. I wonder if the US learned their lesson.....

BTW, the rest of the world is not just getting cocky. They are getting better. A whole lot better. Oh yeah, I'm an American from NYC.

Hitman

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Re: Re: Re: If he comes over it will not be for the money

Originally posted by <b>Hitman</b>!

God, I hate posts like this.

Do I think the US would have lost if Shaq, Kobe, Kidd and Garnett played. I am not sure. I would tend to say that no, they wouldn't.

But did the US lose once?

No. They lost three times. They finished in sixth place in the World Championships. What is to say that one close loss will not disillusion the US team in Athens, the way one loss totally disillusioned the team in Indianapolis?

Will the US be favored in 2004 if they bring the so called 'A' team? Absolutely. Will they win the gold? If I were a betting man, I would put a couple of bucks on it.

Will they definitely win. No. Argentina will be better. Spain will be better. Germany will be better. Canada will be better. Yugoslavia will be better. They will all be close games, that will come down to the last couple of minutes. Just as basketball should be. I hate to tell you, but the US is not teaching anybody a lesson in 2004, even if they win. The European teams taught the US a lesson at the worlds. The lesson? How to play team basketball. I wonder if the US learned their lesson.....

BTW, the rest of the world is not just getting cocky. They are getting better. A whole lot better. Oh yeah, I'm an American from NYC.

Hitman
I love to know that there are people like you in USA! ;)

Great post. Well said! :yes:

:gbanana: :banana: :bbanana:

You deserve my :clap: :clap: :clap: !!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts