Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

LeBron James named SI's Sportsman of the Year

Pat Riley stood in the mouth of the tunnel at Boston's TD Garden, between the court and the locker room, and waited for the Boat. That's what he calls LeBron James -- "You know," Riley explains, "best of all time" -- an acronym he conjured to remind the planet's preeminent basketball player of frontiers still to be conquered. "Hey, Boat," Riley will say. "How is the Boat doing today?" James will reflexively laugh and shake his head because he is not the Boat, at least not yet. But on that sweaty night at the Garden, in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals, facing yet another summer cast as the villain foiled, he delivered one of the Boat performances in NBA history. The image of James throughout the game, bent at the waist, staring skyward with pupils pushed to his eyelids, recalled predators of different breeds. "He was primal," Riley says. "He was a cobra, a leopard, a tiger hunched over his kill."

After James had unleashed 45 points, snatched 15 rebounds and sucked all the juice from an expectant crowd, he marched toward Riley, the Heat president who lured him to South Beach two years ago with his six sparkling rings. He was just a few steps from Riley when a 20-something man perched above the tunnel poured what remained of his beer through a net canopy, dousing James's head and jersey. While a national television audience recoiled, Riley was transported back to the 1980s, when he coached the Lakers and rabble-rousers at the old Garden rocked their buses, spit in their faces and once shoved his mother-in-law over a railing.

"I'm a Catholic, and I was an altar boy, so I say my prayers at night and I believe someone up there is taking care of us," Riley begins. "From where I was standing, there was a backlight on LeBron from the arena, and as the [beer] pellets sprayed up in the air, they looked like they were forming a halo over him. This is what I saw: The good Lord was saying, 'LeBron, I'm going to help you through this night because you're a nice person, and I'm going to give you 45 and 15. But as you walk off, I'm going to humble the heck out of you.' And, you know what, that's the best thing that could have happened."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...james-2012-sportsman/index.html#ixzz2E1Cdzea4

Congrats to Lebron :cheers:

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
No hat or headband on the cover shot?

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
LeBron deserves every award an athlete can earn.

Cool blurb from the article too

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Big ups to Lebron. Well deserved.

Still shake my head sometimes thinking that LBJ is a Heat player.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Just now diving into the article. I think this blurb by the writer says so much about why he's so awesome to watch:

James has become an entry on a bucket list, a spectacle you have to see at least once, whether you crave the violence of sports or the grace, the force or the finesse. He attracts the casual fan with his ferocious dunks and the junkie with his sublime pocket passes. He is a Hollywood blockbuster with art-house appeal.
Well said.

LeBRON JAMES: You know how in school, around the classroom, there's always the alphabet? The capital A and lower case A has an apple. The capital B and lower case B has a ball. I always looked at the L, because of my name, and it had a lion. That's why I love lions. The look they're talking about is the look lions get when they're seeking prey and it's time to feast.

Always thought it was because of the "King of the jungle" thing.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Just now diving into the article. I think this blurb by the writer says so much about why he's so awesome to watch:

Well said.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Always thought it was because of the "King of the jungle" thing.
Those quotes kind of irritate me because a lot of the people saying that don't have the right. Guys like Wilbon, Stephen A. Smith, Bayless, and all the fans that boo'd him (Sacramento? What did LeBron do to Sacramento?) and dumped beer on him are now celebrating him? Meh.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Those quotes kind of irritate me because a lot of the people saying that don't have the right. Guys like Wilbon, Stephen A. Smith, Bayless, and all the fans that boo'd him (Sacramento? What did LeBron do to Sacramento?) and dumped beer on him are now celebrating him? Meh.
They should have been Lebron supporters since day one, like you were right Adam?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Enough with the ****ing nerd glasses.

Please..... I mean I like Lebron for the most part these days. Leave the nerd glasses for dick heads like Wade and Howard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts