Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After LeBron hurt his ankle he said he would play in their next game on Tuesday because he's a soldier. I guarantee nobody in the media will bash him because of his comment, but when Kellen Wenslow said the same thing he was knocked by everybody, and pretty was forced into making an apology. I bet members of the media are petrified to get on LeBron's bad side, same way they were with Jordan.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Kellen Wenslow got in trouble not because of the "solider" comment alone. He went on a rant talking about "They want to kill me but I did it to them first. They want your blood, it's a war out there and I have no regrets for what I did."

Had Wenslow only called himself a solider and left the rant about death and having no remorse out, he probably wouldn't have gotten half of the criticism he wound up getting.

A totally different situation. Because when you take in Wenslow's rant and then ADD them to the soldier comment, it's totally different than LeBron calling himself a solider but having no rant going alongside it (which would give the coment a point of reference).

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
He doesnt play again until Tuesday, and my guess is its not that serious of a sprain.

If he comes out Tuesday and can barely run, then I guess hes not as mature as we all thought. Whats with trying to be tough and trying to be a "soldier" and be the hero, why not just let the injury heal up and get back to helping your team at 100%.

My guess is the 2 days off will probably heal it up.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
If he comes out Tuesday and can barely run, then I guess hes not as mature as we all thought. Whats with trying to be tough and trying to be a "soldier" and be the hero, why not just let the injury heal up and get back to helping your team at 100%.
Some players have pride and play through pain or sickness (Jordan, Iverson, Malone). They feel extra pressure to hurry back because they are so important to their teams. You're right in saying LeBron should not rush back but in many sports, star athletes can't stand sitting around watching and figure even if they are less than 100%, they can still help the team a lot. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>remy23</b>!
Some players have pride and play through pain or sickness (Jordan, Iverson, Malone). They feel extra pressure to hurry back because they are so important to their teams. You're right in saying LeBron should not rush back but in many sports, star athletes can't stand sitting around watching and figure even if they are less than 100%, they can still help the team a lot. We'll see what happens.
Well, its a situation where if they do well, then they are praised for playing through such agony. If they suck, then they are bashed for hurting the team and not sitting out to heal the injury.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
There's an old saying that folks would say...like you go on a long *** vacation roadtrip and one of your kids is running a 100 degree temp, but doesn't whine about it...you tell folks, "he/she was a real trooper".

And then there's the old, "soldier on"....

If we can't use war metaphors in sports, then the terrorists or Saddam...i forget which...have truly won.

Part of the reason Kellen Winslow got ripped was because he looked and sounded like a ****ing idiot. I was embarrassed for him and his family listening to him.

This is a totally diffrent situation here.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^
LOL, guess he isn't a soldier after all.

I wasn't bashing LeBron, I thought the backlash against Wenslow was uncalled for. The rant that followed the comment may have been the cause for people attacking him, but I distinctly remember people saying things like "this kid has the nerve to call himself a soldier, send him to the Middle East so he can see what it's really like to be a soldier." I just think the media picks and chooses who they are going to sugar coat everything they say and who they are going to attack every chance they get.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmasonbx</b>!
^
LOL, guess he isn't a soldier after all.

I wasn't bashing LeBron, I thought the backlash against Wenslow was uncalled for. The rant that followed the comment may have been the cause for people attacking him, but I distinctly remember people saying things like "this kid has the nerve to call himself a soldier, send him to the Middle East so he can see what it's really like to be a soldier." I just think the media picks and chooses who they are going to sugar coat everything they say and who they are going to attack every chance they get.

Didn't you see TyGuy's picture? He's a soldier:laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.