Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this, in any way, affect his legacy in your opinion? Do people look at 2007 and 2015 and not use it against him because of how bad those teams were? What about the two losses with Miami on stacked teams? Let's say he ends his career 2-4 and doesn't get back to the Finals (unlikely, I know). How would you view his legacy?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Does this, in any way, affect his legacy in your opinion? Do people look at 2007 and 2015 and not use it against him because of how bad those teams were? What about the two losses with Miami on stacked teams? Let's say he ends his career 2-4 and doesn't get back to the Finals (unlikely, I know). How would you view his legacy?
It's a lot better than having a 2-0 finals record.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
I think the loss to the Mavericks will be viewed as a negative for sure, since this was a series that Miami was not only favorites to win but them losing can at the expense of a bad finals performance from LeBron. Otherwise, I don't think his other losses will (or should) be looked at as negatives on LeBron's career.

On an off topic note, Rollwithem, when is the damn Legends Draft happening?

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Not really, no.
The fact that Lebron made it to 6 NBA Finals is, itself, a proof of his greatness. Off course, there's two factors to take into account: he played in the East (who sucks) and 4 of the Finals (and two championships) were with the Heat, who had a Superteam.

Lebron James is a great individual player, arguably the best player of his generation. He just needs the right scenario to succeed colectivey.
This years Finals means little to me, cause the Cavs were undermanned. The seasons he lost to the Magic and Mavs are more meaningfull, IMHO.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Not really, no.
The fact that Lebron made it to 6 NBA Finals is, itself, a proof of his greatness. Off course, there's two factors to take into account: he played in the East (who sucks) and 4 of the Finals (and two championships) were with the Heat, who had a Superteam.
You are always my favorite poster!

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
For the Heat to be in the nba finals, they did not need LeBron, they just need Ariza.

·
8,475 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's hard to put 2007 and 2015 on him since both of those teams were substantial underdogs.

2011 was absolutely a negative. Dallas had a very old team that shocked people by winning the West that year. Wade got hurt in that series, but Miami still had the more talented team.

2012- they beat a still young OKC team, as they should have.

2014 was seen as very winnable in spite of Wade's injuries. I mean more people had SA winning thanks to motivation from the previous year, but it wasn't like 07 or 15. I don't think losing in 14 hurt his legacy so much as how Miami lost. SA kicked their ass (second largest margin of victory in finals history besides 07), which I think hurts Lebron somewhat.

So he should be at least 3-3.

Making 6 finals is no small feat, and the guy could retire today and would make it to the HOF.

Given the absurd hype that surrounded him when he entered the league, 6 finals and 5 appearances in a row is impressive.

I think Cleveland is the favorite in the East next year, but I'm curious as to what Lebron is going to do moving forward if the Cavs don't end up winning a championship. Does he stick it out?

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Probably would have only made 1 or 2 finals if he played in the West
This year

First round: Knock out by Spurs, Grizz, Clippers, Rockets or Warriors?

·
8,475 Posts
This year

First round: Knock out by Spurs, Grizz, Clippers, Rockets or Warriors?
None of those teams apart from Warriors and Spurs would have beaten the Cavs.

·
Michael Whiteacre's Running Mate
2,338 Posts
2007 and 2015 are his greatest achievements. 2015 only as a result of team injury though.

2-2 in Miami is a massive underachievement, and he bolted for a better situation as soon as the going got slightly tough.

I think my feeling will always be the same. If he had rode it out in Cleveland and claimed one or two rings it would have been a far greater achievement than chasing perfect situations.

·
Premium Member
100,010 Posts
Can you imagine if Chicago had beat Detroit in '89 and '90 before losing in the Finals? It's a good thing they lost, saved Jordan's legacy.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
2007 and 2015 are his greatest achievements. 2015 only as a result of team injury though.

2-2 in Miami is a massive underachievement, and he bolted for a better situation as soon as the going got slightly tough.

I think my feeling will always be the same. If he had rode it out in Cleveland and claimed one or two rings it would have been a far greater achievement than chasing perfect situations.
I don't think 2-2 in Miami is a MASSIVE underachievement, winning a title is very difficult. The loss to the Mavs was strange but it was season one if the new look Heat, and lets not forget that the Mavs were on a roll that year. They had swept the Lakers (Kobe/Bynum/Gasol/LO), and beat the Thunder (Durant, Westbrook, Harden) 4-1 in the WCF. The Mavs were under the radar, but they were a force that year.

And then they were definitely an underdog versus that Spurs team in 2014. Lets remember that D-Wade scored 15 ppg in that series shooting under 44% from the field. Bosh scored 14 a game and managed a measly 5 rebounds per game. LeBron James though? 28/8/4 with 2 steals (57% from the field!). Calling the 2014 Miami Heat a "super team" is a gross over simplification of the truth.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
how about Kobe at age 30 instead of LeBron?

Can Kobe defeat Warriors?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
I've never understood how losing in the finals is more of a negative than losing in earlier rounds. So the answer is no.

I think LeBron's teams have been favored in only 2/6 finals (Dallas 11, Spurs 13) so winning 2/6 is about par for the course, even they didn't win the exact two they were favored in.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
IOn an off topic note, Rollwithem, when is the damn Legends Draft happening?
I'm open to format suggestions. People didn't seem to like the method from last time.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I'm open to format suggestions. People didn't seem to like the method from last time.
Do it exactly the same but make sure Irving and his Steve Colter anecdotes are involved along with @JerryWest and his super geek/narcissist personality.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts