Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 10, 2006 CBS SportsLine
Coaching scoop du jour: St. Peter's coach Bob Leckie, who loses the best player he will ever have (Keydren Clark) and owns a thriving restaurant, will resign and be replaced by top assistant John Coffino

.... This was on the St Pete's board.. Any one have any information?

· Premium Member
4,277 Posts
More evidence of Doyel's stupidity here. Leckie hasn't even officially resigned yet. And even if he does, it is far from a slam dunk that Coffino will get the job. I am hearing that there is a surprising amount of interest in the position.

· Registered
370 Posts
Defense said:
John Coffino would be an excellent choice. Knows basketball, knows the city kids and knows how to handle his players. He has no baggage.
I'm sorry, but isn't a D1 coaching job supposed to be a "teaching" position? How can a guy that doesn't even have a college degree be employed as a Teacher by a supposed Institution of Higher Learning?

It makes no sense to me.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
No way a school hires a guy without a college degree. That's not the example school's are looking to set. Coffino is probably a tremendous guy, but I can't imagine him getting the job without a degree.

The head coach at William Patterson, is a pretty good coach.

· Registered
178 Posts
quackman said:
I'm sorry, but isn't a D1 coaching job supposed to be a "teaching" position? How can a guy that doesn't even have a college degree be employed as a Teacher by a supposed Institution of Higher Learning?

It makes no sense to me.
I agree, it wouldn't be ethical to hire a such a person into a faculty (Teaching) position. But why not as head basketball coach.

I've worked at a post-secondary institiution for 24 years. One thing its taught me to never automatically equate credentials with the ability to teach or effectively communicate a body of knowledge or point of view. The world had physicians before there were medical schools, advocates before law schools and basketball coaches before teacher certification programs.

As long as an administration believes the person can communicate, represent the college with class, demonstrate organizational skills, has an acceptable progressive work history and isn't required to carry out any academic duties, why not give him/her a shot? Sometime we have to just examine a the skills required and ask does the rest of the stuff really matter?

Just my .02.

· Registered
370 Posts
Isn't part of what a coach suppposed to do ...

is to help his kids prepare to meet their academic requirements and prepare them for life? What kind of message does it send that the Coach never saw fit to finish the requirements of, at the very least, a Bachelor's degree? While I am not naive enough to think that academics are what draws them to college (my major should of been Skinners 101 not Business Admin.), at least some emphasis has to be placed on academic pursuits. He wouldn't even be considered for a High School coaching gig without a Bachelors, why should he be considered for a College level position?

Iona, when they wouldn't hire Ruland as an assistant until he had obtained his Bachelor's, did it the right way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.