Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,341 Posts
our hype starts on Monday afternoon @3:00pm

On Monday, July 2, 2012, VCU will be hosting an A-10 celebration at Home Team Grill in The Fan.

Greg Burton will be broadcasting live on-site from 3-6:30 p.m.

Guests are expected to include Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Phil Martelli, Jay Bilas and more.

Home Team will have a special A-10 menu, and there will be commemorative A-10 shirts.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/features/A10CelebrationParty

·
Registered
727 Posts
our hype starts on Monday afternoon @3:00pm

On Monday, July 2, 2012, VCU will be hosting an A-10 celebration at Home Team Grill in The Fan.

Greg Burton will be broadcasting live on-site from 3-6:30 p.m.

Guests are expected to include Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Phil Martelli, Jay Bilas and more.

Home Team will have a special A-10 menu, and there will be commemorative A-10 shirts.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/features/A10CelebrationParty
WOW this is very impressive! You have other coaches attending! Is Shaka going to Butler's party?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
ESPN weighs in on conference re-alignment.

Let's get cracking people.

The Bulldogs instantly become one of the favorites in the A-10 and a program to emulate for every other league member not named Xavier.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
A couple of ESPN articles in the last couple of days talking about VCU's first year the A-10.

ESPN's discussion of each of the 20 teams making a conference move: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...scribe-impact-programs-men-college-basketball

The A-10 was opening its arms to the Rams for this season, so VCU jumped at the chance. The Rams fit in the footprint of the A-10 -- giving it a natural rival with in-state Richmond -- and facilities are in line with other league schools. VCU, a season removed from a Final Four, will jump to the front of the bus in the league and compete for a league championship with the conference's traditional elite.
ESPN's Myron Medcalf believes VCU will be the most successful team making a conference move this year, Dana O'Neil went with Missouri: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...d/60768/take-two-most-successful-new-neighbor

The Rams, a 12-seed in the Big Dance, were a success in March using the same attribute that has carried Smart’s squads to the biggest stages of the sport the past two years: strict defense (the Rams were No. 22 in Ken Pomeroy’s final adjusted defensive efficiency ratings).

That’s the same trait that will ease the Rams’ transition to the Atlantic 10 next season. The squad that forced 22 Indiana turnovers in that thriller in March returns the bulk of its team. Five players who averaged at least 1.2 steals are back. Although the Rams lose Burgess, an all-around contributor and leader for the team, they do gain his brother. Jordan Burgess is a four-star prospect who’s ranked No. 95 on ESPN 100 for the 2012 class.

He picked the perfect time for his arrival. The elder Burgess was the only senior on last season's squad. Everyone else is back.
Via Burgess 2.0 and their suffocating defensive pressure, the Rams should participate in that battle during their inaugural season in the league. Bigger programs have switched conferences in recent months, but VCU is equally equipped to outperform them all next season.

The Rams rarely do anything quietly.

Their initial season in the Atlantic 10 won't be any different.
ESPN's Dave Telep also discussed VCU's readiness for the A-10 in his ESPNInsider article on VCU's latest commitment from DeMatha G Jairus Lyles: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dav...&_slug_=lyles-fits-with-a-10s-newest-addition

Shaka Smart’s Virginia Commonwealth Rams wasted no time in moving into their new digs in the Atlantic 10. There’s no grace period, no time to prepare a roster for the new league. The Rams decided to debut “Havoc” in the A-10 this season. With the CAA in its rear-view mirror, Smart’s program jumped into the deep end of the big-boy pool.

The good news for Smart and his staff is that VCU enters the A-10 with a roster capable of competing in the new league. Smart stocked his cupboard with talent and whether it was the CAA or the A-10, his program was ready.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yawn... I'll bite.

Semaj is gonna tear it up in the A10. He's a freak athlete who has ridiculous control of the rock. He comes in better then pretty much better then all but three guards in the league. Yes, he's that good. Doubt him like you did Crawford, I dare you. No question he is the ROY next year.

I fully expect Xavier to be in the top 3 next year. Way to much talent oozing from this team. Not team would say they wouldn't want the talent of Dez and Semaj on their team (unless your a Dayton blow hard then one can appreciate your loyalty toward your team and not X but I fully expect the "I would take him his personality" argument from some of you which means "yes I would take him as is"). the only question is chemistry and can they play well together. I think they will do fine on that front with the most polarizing returner not returning. X has the most talent in this league easy. I admit that most of the talent is young still but talent is talent. Talent wins the leagues. More specifically talented guards (more often then not) win the leagues. Xavier has it all (except a center, but really, how many teams have a true center that is dominant?). Xavier does not rebuild... They reload. New starters same result. A10 domination.

Rant over....

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I suspect it will be much like last year. Someone nobody really expects will jump out to a great start. Total CF in the middle of the season, followed by cream rising to the top the last couple of weeks. Someone else who belongs in the Dance will get there by winning the conf. tournament. Lots of fun and heartache ahead. :jester:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't really expect Charlotte to be great this year, but I do expect Willie Clayton to be one of the top freshmen in the conference this year.

I also expect Braswell to be a first team all conference player.

I'd like to see us finish in the top half of the league in our final season, but I'm not sure that will happen unless someone steps up and starts hitting threes consistently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts