Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I think I'm starting to really feel consistent optimism about this team. The Jennings injury put me on my heels again as I was starting to feel good, but the positives out of Reggie Jackson's performance today has me feeling good again. They're 18-10 since Smith was let go, they have the best overall point differential among the teams trying for the 7/8 spots in the East, they've seen good progress from Monroe, Drummond, and KCP. Dinwiddie looks like he can play as a backup point guard in the NBA (maybe not your ideal first guard off the bench, but he can play a good role). Van Gundy has continued to show his chops as a coach (their play defensively in the third quarter of late has been great coming out of the half), as well as in his GM capacity as he's brought in competent veterans that can help them win (Anthony Tolliver has looked great, and you know what? Overspending for Meeks has also been worth it).

Lets go Pistons, lets see if we can give someone a scare with a couple of first round wins!

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Yeah, I'm all in for SVG at this point. He knows what he is doing. I was skeptical of the Reggie pickup at first, but I like his potential, especially since we don't know how well Jennings is going to recover.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They could get to 20-10 here if they can get by the Cavs, next game against NYK. As it is they're 11-10 plus a 7 game win streak. If thats what they are right now - over a full season a .500ish team that gets hot a couple of times.... well, that's a hell of a lot sooner than most Pistons fans expected.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Didn't watch, but only 31 second half points? Cavs are damn good, though.

I agree with the above post as well.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Also, not to undermine our playoff push, but taking a look ahead to the offseason @ChrisWoj :

We have around $30 million in cap space. I'm assuming we will be extending Reggie and offering Monroe max money. Hopefully we can lock up Monroe because I feel better about offering him the max than Draymond Green. If we have a lineup with Reggie/KCP/SF?/Draymond/Drummond we are going to struggle to score the ball consistently, even though that would be a good defensive lineup.

We need help at the forward spots, and we could use another shooter. I'm guessing we address one, or both needs in the draft. At this point it looks like we will be picking somewhere between 10-15. Some options at those spots:

Oubre
Kaminsky
Looney
Dekker
Alexander
Portis

Ideally I would like Oubre here, although he's still raw. Pretty excited to see what we do with the offseason. If we can lock up Monroe/Jackson and address the Small Forward spot and add another shooter I like where we are headed moving forward. Not a title contender, but a young roster that should make the playoffs for the foreseeable future. That would be a turnaround that happened a lot faster than I anticipated under SVG.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Also, not to undermine our playoff push, but taking a look ahead to the offseason @ChrisWoj :

We have around $30 million in cap space. I'm assuming we will be extending Reggie and offering Monroe max money. Hopefully we can lock up Monroe because I feel better about offering him the max than Draymond Green. If we have a lineup with Reggie/KCP/SF?/Draymond/Drummond we are going to struggle to score the ball consistently, even though that would be a good defensive lineup.

We need help at the forward spots, and we could use another shooter. I'm guessing we address one, or both needs in the draft. At this point it looks like we will be picking somewhere between 10-15. Some options at those spots:

Oubre
Kaminsky
Looney
Dekker
Alexander
Portis

Ideally I would like Oubre here, although he's still raw. Pretty excited to see what we do with the offseason. If we can lock up Monroe/Jackson and address the Small Forward spot and add another shooter I like where we are headed moving forward. Not a title contender, but a young roster that should make the playoffs for the foreseeable future. That would be a turnaround that happened a lot faster than I anticipated under SVG.
Oubre would be pretty much perfect for you guys. Guy kind of reminds me of a non crazy Beasley potential wise.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Oubre would be pretty much perfect for you guys. Guy kind of reminds me of a non crazy Beasley potential wise.
I agree. He actually has pretty good shooting percentages (a plus for us), and he is a really good athlete. Would much prefer him to someone like Dekker, but I don't think we get Oubre if we make the playoffs, because he is a lottery guy. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The big thing for Detroit is whether or not they can ink Monroe to a new contract. Everything that's happened post-Josh Smith certainly helped, but you have to hope that this past summer didn't burn bridges too badly with his camp. If he sticks around then I obviously feel much better about their future.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
The big thing for Detroit is whether or not they can ink Monroe to a new contract. Everything that's happened post-Josh Smith certainly helped, but you have to hope that this past summer didn't burn bridges too badly with his camp. If he sticks around then I obviously feel much better about their future.
Yeah, he's a big part of our future, and we need to re-sign him. His camp said they would be willing to see SVG's plan through, and there have been positive reviews, especially since Smith departed, but Monroe could still spurn us. Our chances have gone up as the season has progressed, and if we can make the playoffs I think that gives him an extra incentive to stick around for a few years.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Monroe isn't a Suh - but he's the closest thing Detroit has to a Suh like decision. Do we extend him for what he's going to cost? Do we let him go over price and watch him play great elsewhere? You know Moose is going to bring it every night, he plays his ass off. I want him back, personally. I don't think his max deal would look that bad two years down the road with the new max, he'll look like a steal. Throw the money at the moose.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stillllllllllllllllllllll optimistic!

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
This team isn't going to make the playoffs. Hoping KCP can shake his recent slump, Dinwiddie puts together a few nice games and all the youngins continue to develop. Hoping we add Oubre in the draft to play the 3 for us.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts