Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people seem to think we should add a couple of veterans this off-season to help steady our young guys. I disagree. In fact, I think we should get even younger by jettisoning a couple of our "vets" (i.e. Randolph and Miles) in exchange for draft choices.

If Nash could get a couple of No. 1 picks for Randolph and Miles, we could potentially add Adam Morrison, LeMarcus Aldridge and/or Tyrus Thomas/Bargnani/Reddick, et. al. Imagine the potential of this team with a young trio of studs added to what we already have. Dynamite!

Would we make the playoffs next year? Maybe not. But we'd be taking great strides in the right direction and we'd have a very exciting team that is going to get better and better.

Call me crazy, but I don't want Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, or anybody else like that on this team. I don't want vets with their best years behind them--I want guys with a big upside for years to come.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Talkhard said:
Most people seem to think we should add a couple of veterans this off-season to help steady our young guys. I disagree. In fact, I think we should get even younger by jettisoning a couple of our "vets" (i.e. Randolph and Miles) in exchange for draft choices.

If Nash could get a couple of No. 1 picks for Randolph and Miles, we could potentially add Adam Morrison, LeMarcus Aldridge and/or Tyrus Thomas/Bargnani/Reddick, et. al. Imagine the potential of this team with a young trio of studs added to what we already have. Dynamite!

Would we make the playoffs next year? Maybe not. But we'd be taking great strides in the right direction and we'd have a very exciting team that is going to get better and better.

Call me crazy, but I don't want Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, or anybody else like that on this team. I don't want vets with their best years behind them--I want guys with a big upside for years to come.
I think you might be on to something here Talkhard.

(^^Now there's a line none of us would have ever expected to see. :) )

I see a couple advantages to going younger. The natural leaders on this team seem to be Bassy and Jack. But the richer, older, bigger-ego guys like Z-Bo, Miles, Dixon, and Theo don't want to listen to them. Bringing in more rookies means bringing in more guys who will accept our young PGs as the leaders they are.

Also, while it would likely mean at least one more year of bad results in terms of W-L as those guys learn how to translate their game to the NBA level, this would only increase our chances of getting Greg Oden or another superstar-level player next year.

Trade Z-Bo to the Bulls for the Knicks' pick.

Draft BOTH Morrison AND Bargnani or Thomas. Water and watch it grow!

Stepping Razor

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
We need to get better players for the long run. It doesn't mean that we need to get younger, although that might be necessary because our current crop of youngesters just isn't that good or deep.

I don't believe that getting younger, on its own, is a step in the right direction. We've seen this year that removing quality veterans impacts the wins-losses without necessarily opening up more room for young players on the court... and I think that losses can negatively impact young players and young veterans in ways that aren't good for the health of the team and franchise.

Ed O.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Right now we have verterans that just aren't good leaders (Zbo, Miles) and veterans who aren't really interested in being leaders (Pryz, Theo). Trading for a veteran like Pierce or Garnett who also has the ability to lead the team would be huge for us IMO. While staying young isn't a bad plan, bringing in a star (yes I know it's a longshot) with leadship skills would be huge in helping to further develop what already is a young team.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
Can't disagree more. What the current group of young guys need, IMO, is two things:

1) Defined roles
2) Learn what it's like to win by actually winning a lot more games than they are now.

Your plan might help with #1, but at the very least postpones #2 and maybe puts it out of reach for years to come.

Look at the Clippers - they finally added some quality veterans to their team this year and - surprise! - they're a much better team. AND their young guys still have a future.

Look at the Cavs - they added a couple of veterans to the LeBron show and are a better team for it.

Look at the Bulls - they got rid of Curry and added no veterans, but stuck with their young guys - and they are a worse team this year.

IMO, the young guns need an environment of winning. That's probably not going to happen by "going younger".

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Yeah i think getting younger is a good idea.Trade z-bo,miles,theo,dixon,blake,pryz i guess
Keep jack,telfair,outlaw,kryapha,ha,webster draft thomas morrison baragni or milsap or fazekas.
Jack/Telfair
Webster/Lenard
Morrison/Outlaw
Thomas/Kryapha
Skinner/Ha
Add in who we get in trades and we would be the youngest team combined with the best upside of any team.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
What we need to do is get rid of Miles. That is it. Zach will be fine...once we are competitive. The guy has a bad knee and nothing really to play for this season, so why go 100% every game and risk you career when you aren't gonna make the playoffs? I know it sounds bad but come on. I'd want a 20/10 Zach any day of the week.

What we need is a solid C prospect and a SF who can shoot. That's why you go Aldridge/Durant the next two drafts and your set.

Aldridge
Randolph
Durant
Webster
Telfair

There ya go.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
What we need to do is get rid of Miles. That is it. Zach will be fine...once we are competitive. The guy has a bad knee and nothing really to play for this season, so why go 100% every game and risk you career when you aren't gonna make the playoffs? I know it sounds bad but come on. I'd want a 20/10 Zach any day of the week.

What we need is a solid C prospect and a SF who can shoot. That's why you go Aldridge/Durant the next two drafts and your set.

Aldridge
Randolph
Durant
Webster
Telfair

There ya go.
We won't be picking high enough to draft Durant or Oden, mark my words.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Samuel said:
We won't be picking high enough to draft Durant or Oden, mark my words.
as much as I know this will sound crazy, I'd rather the team make the playoffs next year with Morrison (or Gay, or whoever) than suck again and try to maybe get the #1 again next year.

If the team makes the playoffs next year, it means that the guys they have no the team improved greatly (HOPEFULLY, the right guys improve) and I'll take that over the slim chance we might get Oden, knowing it meant our guys didn't do jack **** next year.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
SMiLE said:
as much as I know this will sound crazy, I'd rather the team make the playoffs next year with Morrison (or Gay, or whoever) than suck again and try to maybe get the #1 again next year.

If the team makes the playoffs next year, it means that the guys they have no the team improved greatly (HOPEFULLY, the right guys improve) and I'll take that over the slim chance we might get Oden, knowing it meant our guys didn't do jack **** next year.

Couldn't agree more. I'll go a step further and say that I'd prefer to miss the playoffs by a few games and pick 10th or so than pick number 1 again next year. If that happens I'll know that the team will most likely make the playoffs the following year, and for years to come.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
mediocre man said:
Couldn't agree more. I'll go a step further and say that I'd prefer to miss the playoffs by a few games and pick 10th or so than pick number 1 again next year. If that happens I'll know that the team will most likely make the playoffs the following year, and for years to come.
Insanity, man.

I can understand being willing to forego a good crack at Oden in able to just miss the playoffs, even if I disagree with it... but being willing to pass up guarantee on getting Oden so we can do the same?

I totally would disagree with that.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Foulzilla said:
I wish I could share your optimism. Let's hope something is done this summer that allows me to.
McMillan used an 8-man rotation and started the same guys pretty much every night in Seattle. This season was about player evaluation.

With a few healthy big men next season and a set rotation, it's hard to see how Portland could be in the running for Oden or Durant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.