Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not? He's actually hurting the team now. By coasting through games, missing practice, and getting himself benched, he is setting a bad example for the younger players. I also don't think we can get anything of value for him this summer anyway. His rep and his game are plunging.

I don't care about the financial implications, but I assume that if he signs with another team that cancels out our contract with him, correct? Maybe somone else knows better about this.

All I know is I'm sick and fed up with Darius Miles. He should have been part of the housecleaning long ago, and why Paul Allen was ever enamored of him is a total mystery.

Miles is the second coming of Isaiah Rider, who also repeatedly used the excuse, "I overslept."

Tell me this--how could Miles be so tired that he woke up at 8:45, then fell asleep again for two more hours? What is he doing, partying at a local club all night? Doing drugs? Playing video games in his den? Whatever it is, he clearly has no commitment to the team or the organization that pays him so lavishly. Professional players have a responsibility to get themselves ready for the game, to get the required amount of sleep, to eat right, to practice responsibly, and to conform to the rules of the team. Darius Miles obviously cares nothing about any of that. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

The guy hit paydirt with his big contract and that's it for him. He feels he's "made it" and there is nothing else to prove. He has enough money to live on the rest of his life, and the rest of us can go to hell for all he cares. That's the attitude that resonates out of every pore of his body in every interview that he does.

I applaud Canzano or whoever it was that interviewed him after the game last night. He asked the tough questions and revealed Darius to be the total ---hole that he is.

So let's release Miles now and put him out of our misery forever. It would be a clear statement to Miles and the rest of the league that we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.

Thus endeth the rant.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Talkhard said:
Why not? He's actually hurting the team now. By coasting through games, missing practice, and getting himself benched, he is setting a bad example for the younger players. I also don't think we can get anything of value for him this summer anyway. His rep and his game are plunging.

I don't care about the financial implications, but I assume that if he signs with another team that cancels out our contract with him, correct? Maybe somone else knows better about this.
Nope, thats now how it works. They still owe DA $$ and it still counts against the cap. The Blazers waiving Darius doesn't release Portland of paying him AND having him count against the salary cap.

I do agree that they have to get rid of him, because he's not going to change. You can't blame this one on his knee or him being injured.

I bet they can still trade him, altho not for the ever popular "equal talent".

· Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet they can still trade him, altho not for the ever popular "equal talent".
I'd take a first round pick for him. Hell, I'd take a second round pick. Just get him out of here.

· Registered
7,812 Posts
Zidane said:
We should tell him get here on time and play real real hard in the last few games and then we will trade u to a better team.
yes and then we'll send him to the Knicks...the trainwreck of the NBA. :biggrin:

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Talkhard said:
I'd take a first round pick for him. Hell, I'd take a second round pick. Just get him out of here.
I love this idea, but in today's NBA economy I'm not sure anyone would give a first rounder for him. His contract isn't outrageous if he produced. But with his current issues, I think you'd be lucky to get an equal contract back with much less talent and no draft pick.

· Registered
388 Posts
Why not trade him to Toronto for their first rd pick? that should give us
2 picks in the top 7 if not better.. Toronto can handle his cap hit and no-one
coming out in the 4-6 range is better than miles so it is a win win deal.
Use torontos pick and our 30th to move up 1 to 2 spots and grab Aldrige
and Morrison/Guy... if we can't get both, move our picks for next yrs draft

Miles should = Torontos pick, plus our 30 = Aldrige/Morrison/Guy
Our pick = Aldridge/Guy/Morrison

If we can't Get Aldridge plus a SF than consider moving both torontos and our pick
to a team or teams that will have a good pick next yr and go for the top pick..ie send
both picks to alanta for next yrs first rd pick unprotected

· Registered
3,756 Posts
It's called capology. You can't trade a salary for a pick unless both teams are under cap (others can, I am sure, give more details).
To the best of my knowledge the Blazers cannot trade Miles for a draft pick, although of course he could be included in a package that involves picks.
Nor should they promise someone a trade to a good team. Not only can that not be guaranteed, since the other team needs to agree to a deal, but it is rewarding bad behavior: goof off all year but play hard 15 games and you get a trade to a good team, play hard all year and you stay in Portland, which is probably still another year away from playoffs.

· Registered
388 Posts
Actualy since toronto can take all of Miles salary with out going over the cap,
we can take back just a pick...The rule applies to 2 teams over the cap or the
result of the trade puts you over....Since Toronto is far enough under the Salary cap.
matching +/- 125% of salary does'nt apply

· Registered
6,659 Posts
Talkhard said:
I don't care about the financial implications
That's where the Blazers have gotten into trouble in the past, so why release him?

We'd have this little anecdote at the bottom of our roster saying that we're paying a player who's with another team.

I agree with Zidane in that they should give him minutes in the last 15 games and then explore their options this summer. It's getting to the point where no one will want to take him at 6.5m-10m, even though I think his salary isn't entirely unreasonable.

Either you agree to a buyout, waive him outright (not a good idea), or shop him around to a team for a couple guys with smaller contracts. Either way, you're dealing him out of despearation and you're going to get back equally heavy contracts and probably no pick. SFs are hard to deal because pretty much everyone has a 'developing' SF on their roster, or a decent starting SF.

· Registered
11,166 Posts
Talkhard said:

All I know is I'm sick and fed up with Darius Miles. He should have been part of the housecleaning long ago, and why Paul Allen was ever enamored of him is a total mystery.

Miles is the second coming of Isaiah Rider, who also repeatedly used the excuse, "I overslept."

Tell me this--how could Miles be so tired that he woke up at 8:45, then fell asleep again for two more hours? What is he doing, partying at a local club all night? Doing drugs? Playing video games in his den? Whatever it is, he clearly has no commitment to the team or the organization that pays him so lavishly. Professional players have a responsibility to get themselves ready for the game, to get the required amount of sleep, to eat right, to practice responsibly, and to conform to the rules of the team. Darius Miles obviously cares nothing about any of that. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

The guy hit paydirt with his big contract and that's it for him. He feels he's "made it" and there is nothing else to prove. He has enough money to live on the rest of his life, and the rest of us can go to hell for all he cares. That's the attitude that resonates out of every pore of his body in every interview that he does.

I applaud Canzano or whoever it was that interviewed him after the game last night. He asked the tough questions and revealed Darius to be the total ---hole that he is.

So let's release Miles now and put him out of our misery forever. It would be a clear statement to Miles and the rest of the league that we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.

Thus endeth the rant.

Actually he's helping the Blazers right now. With him the team has less of a chance of winning which of course helps the team secure a better player in the draft to either replace him or make him more expendable

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Talkhard said:
....... and why Paul Allen was ever enamored of him is a total mystery........
It's actually part of a pattern with PA.

SIT HIM DOWN - let him collect his money - but make him suit up and sit at the very end of the bench - for 82 games per season if necessary, until he learns why people are upset with his attitude and behavior.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
I can understand the call to bench him or whatever, but you people don't really think that he's hurting the team when he plays, do you? And, if so, I wonder what Blazers team you've been watching for the past 2 years.

Ed O.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
I can understand the call to bench him or whatever, but you people don't really think that he's hurting the team when he plays, do you? And, if so, I wonder what Blazers team you've been watching for the past 2 years.

Ed O.

yep, we should keep him, make him the starter and tripple his salary. ;)

· Registered
3,548 Posts
Talkhard said:

Thus endeth the rant.
WOW.

We really have completely different views on how to run a pro basketball team.

I couldn't disagree with many of your positions more.

You were all over the hasty explusions of Bonzi, Rasheed and many others.

And yet, you still want more blood?

Nutso if you ask me.

Miles is not my favorite player, but geesh. The anti-Miles fever pitch boil that has occured on this board is ****ING NUTS.

If you want to rant about a player on our team how about Travis Outlaw? What has that guy ever done for this team?

Oh, that's right - Nada. Zip. Zilch. The guy is nothing. But, hey, at least he hasn't offended anyone.

I don't think following an NBA team is really for you. Far too agravating for your personality and worldview.

Follow some other sport where they nothing but stand up guys who are uncorruptable - like Baseball. Oops.

Where they aren't goons - like Hockey. Oops.

Where every team isn't filled with criminals - like Football. Oops.

Give it up Talkhard and welcome to the 21st century.

· Registered
188 Posts
Bookworm said:
Why not trade him to Toronto for their first rd pick? that should give us
2 picks in the top 7 if not better.. Toronto can handle his cap hit and no-one
coming out in the 4-6 range is better than miles so it is a win win deal.
Use torontos pick and our 30th to move up 1 to 2 spots and grab Aldrige
and Morrison/Guy... if we can't get both, move our picks for next yrs draft

Miles should = Torontos pick, plus our 30 = Aldrige/Morrison/Guy
Our pick = Aldridge/Guy/Morrison

If we can't Get Aldridge plus a SF than consider moving both torontos and our pick
to a team or teams that will have a good pick next yr and go for the top pick..ie send
both picks to alanta for next yrs first rd pick unprotected
And the Raptors do this because....? We have Villaneuava at SF who fits into that role. What we need is a SG, or a C.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
Masbee said:
Miles is not my favorite player, but geesh. The anti-Miles fever pitch boil that has occured on this board is ****ING NUTS.
It's like a pack of hungry hyenas smelling fresh blood. Once Miles is gone, they'll turn their attention on someone else.

I'm not saying he didn't do wrong or that he shouldn't be disciplined or traded, because of his actions (and lack thereof). But some people just seem a little too anxious and gleeful to hoist up the next casualty.

Oregonian said:
The reason these questions are asked is because people expect so much of you.

(Miles) Nah, you've been on my (butt) since the beginning of the season.
True. So true. I don't know how any objective observer could fail to see how well Darius was doing before his injury. He showed no problems with management, the coach, the new rules, the discipline, the system, or putting effort into games. He was the best player on the team and he came to play every day. Until the knee injury, he was The Punisher.

And yet, the constant sniping and hounding and nipping and outright calls for him to be shipped out of town at any cost continued unabated. It didn't matter what he did, the Oregonian campaign was relentless. Particularly Canzano, but Quick was in there as well.

Hell it worked on Sheed; he said he wouldn't resign here. It probably worked on Miles. I'm sure he'd like a ticket out of town at this point. Maybe he's mad that Ruben made it out, after making himself so unpalatable that the team promised to trade him and then did? Maybe he's going to go the same route?

Next year maybe we can make Zach hate it here enough to force his way out? (Licking chops....) If we still have a team.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
BTW: I've never posted that Miles has been a major asset since the trade deadline, when he came back a couple of games early from his surgery. At times he has looked out of shape and lacking mobility. At times he has looked tentative about the knee. At times he has looked sick. And at times he has looked apathetic. Looks can be deceiving, so I don't pretend to know if any of my impressions were accurate. I do recall posting right around the trade deadline regarding a particular game that he played like a guy who either thought he was about to be traded, or was disappointed that he wasn't. He hasn't looked much better since.

· Registered
2,938 Posts
It frustrates me when I see a player - so talented - but not committed enough to use his athletic gift each and every time out. Darius - what happened to the "punisher"??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.