Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(e-mailed to fast-break members)

Dear Valued Fast.Break Member,

I want to thank all the fans in Portland for welcoming me. I can't tell you how great it is to be a Portland Trail Blazer!

As a lifelong sports fan, I've heard about the history of this team and its amazing fans. In just a short amount of time in Portland, it's easy for me to understand your passion for this great city and its team.

I was a bit nervous before my first game here because I didn't know how the crowd would respond to me. But from the moment I hit the court in warm ups to the first time I checked in, I felt a warmth and energy in the Rose Garden that put me right at ease.

It's great to be playing for the Portland Trail Blazers. I can see all the history, the banners hanging in the arena, the championship trophy on display and the true support of the fans. There's no better feeling than to be part of an organization like this.

The instant support I received has taught me something about Portland Trail Blazers fans. The other players have told me about your passion for the game and the emotion you all bring every night.

I've played in every arena in the league, and I've seen fans that aren't as warm and supportive as you are here in Portland. I really feel accepted here and I want to thank you for that.

I hope I get to meet many of you in the future. I've already spoken to some of you and learned about the great places to eat and spend time in Portland. I've also learned that we like the same things! I'm into video games and movies. I like to listen to music in my spare time and I love working with kids in the community.

Coach Cheeks has been very welcoming and knows what it takes to win. He's big on looking to the future and says we have to forget what's happened in the past and focus on what's going on now.

We're being challenged each day and we're willing to accept those challenges. I can tell you this, the guys on this team want to win and they want to bring pride to the fans in Portland.

Again, it's great to be in Portland, and thank you for making me feel welcome. I also want you to know that I'm going to work as hard as I can to justify your great support.

Go Blazers!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I like this guy already.... energy on the court and class off of it..

so far so good :rock:

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
I like this guy already.... energy on the court and class off of it..
...and coaching and scripted letter from the powers-that-be, perhaps? ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am so glad we got him..i was worried when he wasn't playing that well..but he did just join the team and now last night 15 points..YEA!!!!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
...and coaching and scripted letter from the powers-that-be, perhaps? ;)
Yes, I know

perhaps HAP has a rough draft of Miles letter as well???

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. all basketball players with high school educations are as eloquent as Darius is in this letter. for shame, ABM.

:)

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
How many people in the world have people write for them?

It's safe to assume he agrees with what it says and that is all that matters.

It's a nice gesture and I appreciate it.
NASH: "Darius, thanks for stopping by my office."

MILES: "No prob, Mr Nash. What's up?"

NASH: "Well, you see, Darius, we have what is known as our 25 Points edict, which, among other items, includes a portion about the club/players reaching out to the community. so, beins that you're new to the club, we felt that it would be beneficial for you as a player, and us as a team, to send out a warm memo to the fine folks of Portland, thanking them for welcoming you to this fair city. (*smiling*)....In fact, we've already got one prepared for you. All you have to do is sign right here, at the bottom of the letter."

MILES: (upon reading the letter) "No problem, Mr Nash. Here you go."

NASH: "Thank you, Darius. You may go now."

MILES: "No.......Thank YOU, Mr. Nash!"

NASH: "That's the sprit."

Leaves the office..................

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

NASH: "Darius, thanks for stopping by my office."

MILES: "No prob, Mr Nash. What's up?"

NASH: "Well, you see, Darius, we have what is known as our 25 Points edict, which, among other items, includes a portion about the club/players reaching out to the community. so, beins that you're new to the club, we felt that it would be beneficial for you as a player, and us as a team, to send out a warm memo to the fine folks of Portland, thanking them for welcoming you to this fair city. (*smiling*)....In fact, we've already got one prepared for you. All you have to do is sign right here, at the bottom of the letter."

MILES: (upon reading the letter) "No problem, Mr Nash. Here you go."

NASH: "Thank you, Darius. You may go now."

MILES: "No.......Thank YOU, Mr. Nash!"

NASH: "That's the sprit."

Leaves the office..................

You're a brat! :grinning: Did you learn that from Hap or did Hap learn that from you?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

Yes, I know

perhaps HAP has a rough draft of Miles letter as well???
actually, I do. but I don't know if writing "head bump" 150 times really constitutes a "rough draft"..

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I don't know whether he wrote it, or he read it, or he even agrees with it. It doesn't matter to me that the letter was released, even.

What I'm happy about is the way he's played so far as a Blazer. He's taken the ball to the hoop, worked hard on defense, and been one of our primary ballhandlers (he's certainly handling it up the floor a lot more than DA, and more effectively that Woods).

Last night he showed toughness, too, that I really admire. He came down grabbing his back on one play but didn't come out in spite of having to hobble back down on defense... and then the next two possessions he gets fast break opps and takes the ball right back to the basket! I was very impressed.

Hopefully Miles is affordable for Portland this summer and he is around for a while. He's definitely been a good acquisition so far.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Maybe something like this?

Darius: I like it here it P-Town, the fans are cool and everything.

Writer: I want to thank all the fans in Portland for welcoming me. I can't tell you how great it is to be a Portland Trail Blazer!

Darius: Yeah, I've been watching ball for a long time. It's cool cause the Blazers have always been good, and I heard the fans leave flowers at your doorstep and stuff. I tell you what, they've been cool to me so far.

Writer: As a lifelong sports fan, I've heard about the history of this team and its amazing fans. In just a short amount of time in Portland, it's easy for me to understand your passion for this great city and its team.

Darius: Yeah, I was nervous, but the fans cheered me, it's all good.

Writer: I was a bit nervous before my first game here because I didn't know how the crowd would respond to me. But from the moment I hit the court in warm ups to the first time I checked in, I felt a warmth and energy in the Rose Garden that put me right at ease.

Darius: Blazers, yeah. Bill Walton, I've heard of him. Who's Dave Twardzik and why does he have a banner? I saw the trophy on the way in, it looks tight. I hope we get one too. I tell you what, after playing for the Clipps and Cavs, it's great to be out of those wastelands.

Writer: It's great to be playing for the Portland Trail Blazers. I can see all the history, the banners hanging in the arena, the championship trophy on display and the true support of the fans. There's no better feeling than to be part of an organization like this.

Darius: I heard Portland has a lot of places to eat. Some dude in the stands recommended a couple places. I'll have to check them out. Lots of video game players on the team. I can dig that. Holla to Sheed's radio station.

Writer: I hope I get to meet many of you in the future. I've already spoken to some of you and learned about the great places to eat and spend time in Portland. I've also learned that we like the same things! I'm into video games and movies. I like to listen to music in my spare time and I love working with kids in the community.

Darius: I like Mo, he told me he's wants to play the younger guys.

Writer: Coach Cheeks has been very welcoming and knows what it takes to win. He's big on looking to the future and says we have to forget what's happened in the past and focus on what's going on now.

Darius: Again, shout out to P-town, glad to be here. I'm gonna work hard to keep ya clappin'. Keep up the support, peace out!

Writer: Again, it's great to be in Portland, and thank you for making me feel welcome. I also want you to know that I'm going to work as hard as I can to justify your great support.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I think that Miles is making his case for coming back as a Trailblazer. It is going to be interesting to see what Nash does this coming off season.

• Is Rasheed Wallace going to be something that Portland can afford to let walk away or do they resign him?
  • Can Darius Miles pass his audition and remain a Trailblazer after this season?
  • What is the status at the point going to be? Stoudamire, Cook, Gill?
  • What free agents are the Blazers going to be looking at or are they going to let another Summer go by without a free agent signing?
  • What position does Portland draft for in the draft? Center, point guard, or be player available?
  • Will ABM make next years Blazer Bash?

These are all questions that are going though my head with this team. :grinning:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts