Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Letter To Nash: Regarding Patterson Situation

426 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Masbee 
#1 ·
My letter:

Dear John Nash,

I am an avid Blazer fan and would like to express some ideas about trading Ruben
Patterson. New York has reportedly offered Malik Rose in exchange for Ruben
Patterson. Doing this trade straight up or as a major part would help Portland
out alot. I really feel like this trade would benefit Portland greatly. On the
court Patterson is a good high energy player but off the court there have been
distractions involved with his actions. Parting with Patterson helps clear
out our situation at SF. In return we get a player in Malik Rose who has
championship experience and can be the back-up PF we have been looking for. I
think Malik Rose can be the type of guy Nate would love to coach because he is a
hard working player who had to work hard to make it in the NBA because he wasn't
blessed with great athletic ability. I hope you really consider this trade and
not back away just because people in the media say it's a bad trade. Only your
decision matters.

Thanks,

Blazer Fan

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving

John Nash's Response:

"Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, Malik Rose has three years on his
contract after this year and Ruben has only one thereby creating a long term
obligation. If their contracts were of equal length then it would make more
sense. I like Malik Rose both as a player and as a person but I can't take on
that commitment as it would encumber us through the 08/ 09 season."

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice response by Nash.Atleast he didn't reply were not able to discuss trades publicly even though i wasnt asking for trade news i was giving him a few people that he might take a look at one of them was eduardo najera.It's good he doesnt want to take on anymore big contracts.Pretty much he confirmed what allot of us were thinking.

#3 ·
Yup, excellent respone from Nash... and ENTIRELY correct. I admit, I wouldn't have even responded, if I were him, as I would've been too busy :banghead: after reading it and realizing that whoever wrote it had NO CLUE about the financial implications that that trade would come with.

#4 ·
Mr Nash has always seemed to respond to all our emails from posters on this board. I am sure others off this forum as well. I even had a question this summer that I asked and I knew he was on vacation and told him to wait until he got back. Yet he responded anyways.

He is very good at replying. :woot:

Nice letter Solid Guy

#5 ·
Yeah, I like how Nash takes time to e-mail us back. I wish we could do something like convince the Knicks to take on some or most of Malik Rose's contract or just convince them they need Ruben Patterson alot so they throw in other players. If Rose didn't have the three years remaining on his contract I think Nash would have done the deal already.

#6 ·
SolidGuy3 said:
Yeah, I like how Nash takes time to e-mail us back. I wish we could do something like convince the Knicks to take on some or most of Malik Rose's contract or just convince them they need Ruben Patterson alot so they throw in other players. If Rose didn't have the three years remaining on his contract I think Nash would have done the deal already.
Yeah, it's a no brainer other than Rose's contract. Malik could really help this team, and in the process we'd be unloading a SF where we are overstocked. Everythings perfect . . . except MR's salary. Too bad, but I agree with Nash on this one.

#7 ·
SolidGuy3 said:
My letter:

Dear John Nash,

I am an avid Blazer fan and would like to express some ideas about trading Ruben
Patterson. New York has reportedly offered Malik Rose in exchange for Ruben
Patterson. Doing this trade straight up or as a major part would help Portland
out alot. I really feel like this trade would benefit Portland greatly. On the
court Patterson is a good high energy player but off the court there have been
distractions involved with his actions. Parting with Patterson helps clear
out our situation at SF. In return we get a player in Malik Rose who has
championship experience and can be the back-up PF we have been looking for. I
think Malik Rose can be the type of guy Nate would love to coach because he is a
hard working player who had to work hard to make it in the NBA because he wasn't
blessed with great athletic ability. I hope you really consider this trade and
not back away just because people in the media say it's a bad trade. Only your
decision matters.

Thanks,

Blazer Fan

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving

John Nash's Response:

"Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, Malik Rose has three years on his
contract after this year and Ruben has only one thereby creating a long term
obligation. If their contracts were of equal length then it would make more
sense. I like Malik Rose both as a player and as a person but I can't take on
that commitment as it would encumber us through the 08/ 09 season."
write back and tell him it also gives us a pf tandem that could really be dominant for us not only scoring wise but on the boards. so i think it is a fair tradeoff as far as taking on a contract for an extra 2 years. in the case of ruben, we already have to,miles, kryapa and monia, so space is limited. but pf it's wide open.

#9 ·
tradetheo said:
write back and tell him it also gives us a pf tandem that could really be dominant for us not only scoring wise but on the boards. so i think it is a fair tradeoff as far as taking on a contract for an extra 2 years. in the case of ruben, we already have to,miles, kryapa and monia, so space is limited. but pf it's wide open.
I'm sorry, dominant? Malik Rose is not dominant at anything. He's a good role player who is paid too much for too long. This would be a terrible trade, and I'm glad Nash is smart enough to see so.

#10 ·
Foulzilla said:
I'm sorry, dominant? Malik Rose is not dominant at anything. He's a good role player who is paid too much for too long. This would be a terrible trade, and I'm glad Nash is smart enough to see so.
I agree and would like to add my opinion that Malik Rose USED to be a good role player.

At this point in his career he is searching for a team and a role. It remains to be seen if at age 31 he will ever be a GOOD role player again.

Rose would be a terrible pick-up mostly because of his contract. But, at this stage of the Blazer's rebuild I am much against the team bringing in older, undersized talent, no matter how much vet savy they have. I want roster spots filled with size, (relative) youth, and at least a smidgen of potential. Hopefully a lot of potential.

I was please with the signing of Joel - a 7 footer with potential and possible reasons for past failures, still young for a big. I was not so pleased with Dixon, an undersized SG too old for a small.

Rose at 6' 5", 31 years old, and zero potential to be a key player on our team does not qualify on any count. And then there is that contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.