Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff. If true, it kind of shows some of the limits of thinking everything can/will be done because of luxury tax reasons. Now it's possible that Seattle is just posturing, but it appears at this point that the time for posturing is over. They're willing to let Lewis walk rather than getting something in return.

Of course, maybe they aren't being offered anything worthwhile in return? I've got to think that someone would offer something decent in return ... at least maybe ending contracts though.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
let him walk then!!

If Rashard believes 64 million dollars over 7 years is an insult, then he is in dire need of psychological evaluation, and most likely some counseling.

It seems to me that Rashard's attitude is representative of everything that is wrong in the NBA today. He's in a situation to be fabulously wealthy. Absurdly wealthy. and that's not good enough for him!?!?

ugh.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Incentive clauses

Also interesting is the $15MM incentive package being offered to Lewis. I haven't heard much about incentive clauses in NBA contracts.

According to Larry ****'s NBA salary cap FAQ (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54), after the first year of a contract, incentives only count against a team's cap if they are judged to be "likely to be achieved" by the commish's office. The guess is that what Seattle is offering Lewis would not be deemed likely to be achieved, though they're certainly within the realm of possibility.

I like what Seattle is doing. I've always been a fan of incentive clauses, so long as they demand that the player "stretch" to meet them. Further, the way the NBA rules handle stretch incentives, it's a very cap-efficient way to construct contracts.

With most teams over the cap and the luxury tax looming for several clubs, I can't help but wonder if more teams will start using stretch incentive clauses with their players.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
personally to me its refreshing to see

the sonics simply tried to play lewis and he got mad and wont accept anything less than what he wants from them

he rejected a higher amount than the sonics offered him from the raptors because the sonics said they would "take care of him "

they gave what he was worth i dont see how giving him what he was generally expected to get was making it up to him for turning down a far more lucrative offer elsewhere

and in the beginning he said he was so mad about this he was going to leave i say fine its about time an athlete let his own pride and sense of right dictate his future instead of his wallet

people always say i wish pro athletes weren't so mercenary but when one actually isn't that way people want to bash them anyway(and for all things ...not going to the highest bidder)

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
These tactics won't bode well for Seattle in the future. A public hump day, come on. The thoughts that come to my mind are cheap, unprofessional and trying to protect their butts from a fan backlash. It is never good business to air contract problems through the media and now even if Lewis resigns their is going to be animosity on both sides of the table. Say what you want about JK but he would have been buisness smart enough to keep it between the organization and the agent.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The question that I have is why does Lewis have to sign a three-year deal with Dallas if he walks? The only way a three year deal is required is with a sign and trade - correct? If there is no sign and trade between Dallas and Seattle, then Rashard isn't constrained to sign that kind of a deal.

That being the case, is he not free to sign with whomever he chooses for the full mid-level exception for a single season and then hope to "re-up" with that team for a longer term and a greater annual salary? If that's the case, could he not walk to his hometown Houston and just sign a one-year deal with them and then next season take his chances either in FA or hope the Rockets can give him the love (read $'s) that he feels he so richly deserves?

Because if Mark Cuban can sign Rashard to a three year, mid-level exception deal in a non-sign-and-trade, then he (Cuban) truly must be the Devil! (That or Rashard's agent/advisor is really not looking out for this kids best interest).

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I am not a capologist, but here goes.

I think your confusion rests in the Larry Bird clause... while Lewis is allowed to sign with any team provided they have cap room or sign him to an exception or minimum contract, he needs three years with the same team before he is eligible to sign a contract in excess of the salary cap, thus if he were traded to the Mavs he would have to spend three years under a mediocre contract before he got his pay-day. Likewise he is eligible for a fulll boat (larry-bird )contract from the Sups now.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
I am not a capologist, but here goes.

I think your confusion rests in the Larry Bird clause... while Lewis is allowed to sign with any team provided they have cap room or sign him to an exception or minimum contract, he needs three years with the same team before he is eligible to sign a contract in excess of the salary cap, thus if he were traded to the Mavs he would have to spend three years under a mediocre contract before he got his pay-day. Likewise he is eligible for a fulll boat (larry-bird )contract from the Sups now.
I understand that the 3-year deal gives Bird rights to the Mavs, but this puts Lewis in exactly the same position that he's in now (trusting a team to sign him to the BIG contract). Clearly, Cuban is more likely to pay the big $$ than Seattle, but there's no guarantee.

When I heard that Marshall signed with the Bulls after turning down more $$ with the Jazz, I was surprised to find it was a 3-year deal. I would have thought that he'd sign a one year contract and try his hand at free agency next season, when I keep hearing that more teams are going to be under the cap.

What seems to be happening in the NBA is that only the true superstars can demand and get max contracts on the open market. Regular stars (like Lewis) have to rely on the generosity/fairness of their current teams to get the big contract.

There's no question that the big money isn't flowing as freely as it once did when star (but not superstar) players like Jalen Rose, Antonio McDyess and Vin Baker got max contracts.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If i were Lewis, i would either sign with the Sonics or talk to a team that would give him the money that he wants instead of a 3 year deal with Dallas. Seriously, money is money. I would rather have it in my hands instead of asking someone keeping it for me. There shouldn't be trust when money talk even with Cuban. Cuban traded Hardaway who i thought opted to play for Dallas instead of Miami.

So Rashard, call the Bulls or Rockets and ask if Krauz is willing to give u like 70M or so, if not, sign with the Sonics. You don't want to be Gatling or those Journey men especially the current Salary situation.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
oh well one can dream

lewis goes back to the sonics but its not lik tey'll be some big improved team they are gonna get leapfrogged by the clips and rockets

and in may lewis will be wondering what could have been as the mavs lose in the 2nd round again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts