Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Thanks. What do you disagree with?

Implementation-wise, it'd be pretty easy to buy the biggest teams their own domains. You could even leave in the existing forum structure, but just put in multiple "OT" boards. In the banner at the top, put BlazerBoards.com (or whatever) really large, and then "A BasketballForum.com Community" pretty small and off to the side. (I always hated having to browse to the Blazers board from the home page anyway.)

You could even help customers sell the site to others by selling crap on CafePress.

As a customer of this site, if I could buy a baseball cap with the Basketball Forum logo on it, I definitely wouldn't. But if I could buy a baseball cap with BlazerBoards.com (or whatever) I might at least consider it. (In fact, the Blazers have been pretty cool to us in the past. They might even consider giving us permission to use a small copy of their logo if we promise to donate all profits to, say, Brandon Roy's favorite charity. Think about the publicity your site and the Blazers would get on that one.)

Anyway, most small businesses have a real tough time transitioning to bigger businesses. They try to run things the same way they used to, because it used to work fine. I think a similar problem happened here. The thing to remember is that the whole goal is to have huge communities, not small ones. So when one of them starts giving you massive headaches, that's the time to switch gears because they want to take the next step (even if they don't exactly know it).
I should clarify by saying that my issue lies more in the difficulties that would work against such a move. Let's set aside for the moment the fact that both blazersforum.com and blazerforum.com are registered already, and hence unavailable, and consider the issues that we'd have to face.

First, there's the VerticalScope issue, in that the site has to fit in with their overall business model, which includes forums for each sport, bandwidth allocations for each one and so on. Let's say we can get around that, whether by obtaining the other domains at a discount or what have you.

There would be ramifications for this site as well. For one thing, cross-posting from such spun-off forums would decrease from an already low level, considering that posters would then be on a different site entirely. We have had people complaining about having to scroll down the main page of this site, calling it too much effort...

Then there are the long-term potential issues. Let's say that we create the additional domain, under whatever name, and are then faced with an exodus for whatever reason. We'd be stuck with an additional domain name, and associated costs. And even while the spin-off is functional, this site would be left with a gaping hole where a thriving team forum should be. And again, there'd be a long-term reduction in posting in other forums. The simple fact is that these sites, as a whole, do better when posters expand their interests throughout the site than when a strong fan base maintains its enthusiasm for however long - but remains largely insular.

Those are some of the considerations I'd have to work with before even proposing a significant move like that. The fact is that there are always a number of issues that have to be resolved before we decide to add or subtract forums on this site, and those issues would be magnified exponentially when fragmentation would become an issue.

Here's a counter-thought though. How much would the addition of a domain router help posters only interested in, say, the Blazers? Hypothetically, if you could just type in BBFBlazers.com or something like that and go straight to the Blazers page, would that make a difference? I'm not saying that's even possible, but trying to find a theoretical middle ground.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
^ For clarity's sake, I am aware that a similar notion to what I proposed was also mentioned on the other site - though I only realized it after I'd posted here. :clown: So much for supposed innovation, huh? :D

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
^ For clarity's sake, I am aware that a similar notion to what I proposed was also mentioned on the other site - though I only realized it after I'd posted here. :clown: So much for supposed innovation, huh? :D
What other site?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Do you understand how you, personally, are responsible for driving away Blazers fans with statements like this?

I would agree with you except what basel said is to an extent true, according to certain Blazer fans anyway.. Its been said over and over again, mainly by the same posters, that the mods are "abusing their powers", becoming increasingly dictatorial and autocratic, etc..

Then probably those same Blazer fans introduced the notion that because the Blazers are a larger fan-base than most others on this site, they should be treated differently and the board should be more alert to their presence and the impacts of them leaving (though basel was obviosly generalising + exaggerating about 'royalty').

He didn't come out with this from the start - if I had to sift through all these said comments, I'd eventually get tired and make the same exaggeration too. I havn't read every thread here recently but I've read a fair share of "The mods arn't doing their jobs", "This wouldn't be so on another forum", "Mods abusing their powers, no free speech", etc..

Admins better loosen their grip or you can kiss this site bye-bye.

I'm not attacking you or the blazers board here but, this hardly seems to be a problem on ANY other section of the forums.

Its simply an isolated situation thats been elevated, on the wide scale of things, by posters thinking they're entitle to more than they are and then becoming increasingly indignant when mods tell them otherwise.

Thats my opinion anyway, and maybe the mods havn't handled themselves perfectly, but thats the heat here - not how poor the mods are doing their job.

And on a side note (just speaking in general), people are talking about how "words are just words", "its just a forum", etc.. then they turn around and seem to pick apart every possible inferred or implicated slur in mods' posts as being condescending and a reason to repeat "this is why you're losing posters".

·
Registered
56 Posts
The owner of this site is losing more people than he/she realizes. What a shame. This USED to be THE premier Blazer site.

Foolish.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I used to visit this site all day while working, always reading the latest news and updates and discussions. Now I am actively looking to get this information elsewhere. I would appreciate a PM from anyone having a better day than I.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It appears that due to the nature of your request your message box feature has been turned off. Google will help you find what you seek. Hope you stick around here too. If everyone leaves it won't be as much fun.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I do not see where I've broken any rules, perhaps a mod could publicly explain themselves. They seem to be overstepping their bounds.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
You haven't broken any rules; I tried sending you a PM just now, and it's not letting me, even though it says that you are able to receive PMs. Have you tried checking your User CP to see what might be going on? Again, I'll have an Admin look at it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You haven't broken any rules; I tried sending you a PM just now, and it's not letting me, even though it says that you are able to receive PMs. Have you tried checking your User CP to see what might be going on? Again, I'll have an Admin look at it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Personal Messages temporarily disabled
Unfortunately, due to security concerns we have been alerted to, the Personal Messages feature has to be temporarily disabled. This is part of an ongoing effort to prevent potential security breaches well before they are exploited.

As soon as the hole is plugged, PMing will be available again, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes. Thank you for your patience as we work to make this site secure.
Link

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
That was on October 29th; PMs have been back for a little over a week, I believe. Not sure what's going with stockfire's account, though, because it says he can receive PMs, and yet I can't send him one.

KAS is looking into it and trying to figure it out.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts